2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can some one who owns a new honda (confirm as i suspect) that honda has used a bit of genius and mounted the rear camera in the "shark fin" on the roof ?
I d been looking at mounting one on the roof of my 8 th gen and wondered why no one was offering a sharks fin with one mounted inside being as a rear light level one is about as much use as a kia picante on a formula one track !

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
on the ES it's just above the number plate where the handle is, you can see it in the gallery on the Honda site, a small blob about the "C" on the number plate

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Washer jet?

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
definitely washer jets, I just went out and looked. On that shot you can just make out a small blob above the "C", that's the camera
i take the "genious" honda back then... what a missed oportunity and what an abomination just to house a washer jet ...:(

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
The shark fin is also the GPS antenna on on Sat Nav equipped cars.

Why on earth would the mount the reversing camera in it? The reversing camera is primarily there to help you park, so has a wide angle lens that allows you to see down to the rear bumper and how close you are to cars/objects... Putting it on the shark fin would be pointless as there is still approx 1m of car after it???

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The shark fin is also the GPS antenna on on Sat Nav equipped cars.

Why on earth would the mount the reversing camera in it? The reversing camera is primarily there to help you park, so has a wide angle lens that allows you to see down to the rear bumper and how close you are to cars/objects... Putting it on the shark fin would be pointless as there is still approx 1m of car after it???
think about it.....

and i ll add,

i couldnt safely drive my motorhome alone without a double camera system, one being used as a constant rear view and the other giving a view of the rear and whats directly behind at bumper level - both displayed on a 7 inch mirror mount screen.. (£67 all in)

From experience I know exactly what can be achieved from a camera mounted on a car and a 170 degree lens mounted low at the back that distorts and squeezes the image and relys on a few green and red lines can be improved upon hence my wishing to mount a camera at roof level and able to see exactly where the back end is...

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
think about it.....

and i ll add,

i couldnt safely drive my motorhome alone without a double camera system, one being used as a constant rear view and the other giving a view of the rear and whats directly behind at bumper level - both displayed on a 7 inch mirror mount screen.. (£67 all in)

From experience I know exactly what can be achieved from a camera mounted on a car and a 170 degree lens mounted low at the back that distorts and squeezes the image and relys on a few green and red lines can be improved upon hence my wishing to mount a camera at roof level and able to see exactly where the back end is...

Er... could you not just look out the back window?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
The Civic's camera is not to bad for getting a good overview of the back of the car...

And can be switched on when going forward if really required.

·
Registered
429 Posts
On the ES the fin is the new radio aerial and certainly a much better place than in the back window as my old 3G positioned it.

satnav aerials are usually tucked away all over the car, That is why they find the car's location so much faster than a simple Tom Tom on the dash.

I like the way my satnav keeps working in tunnels and in underground car parks it updates when I turn around to go down a different lane in the opposite direction.

·
Obsessive Modder
2,283 Posts
On the ES the fin is the new radio aerial and certainly a much better place than in the back window as my old 3G positioned it.

satnav aerials are usually tucked away all over the car, That is why they find the car's location so much faster than a simple Tom Tom on the dash.

I like the way my satnav keeps working in tunnels and in underground car parks it updates when I turn around to go down a different lane in the opposite direction.
Yes the 8th gen sat nav antenna is on a metal bracket just behind the sat nav screen :) the signal is so much better than a Tom Tom :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts