2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying another Civic due to being hit from the back in my Si (was a Corsa driver🤦‍♂️)

I want one with a Pan roof, one my olders had one years ago but I don't remember if it was just a glass roof or if it opened.

Question I have is, does the Pan roof open? And what should I look out for when buying one?

(Stupid, but a genuine question)

·
Registered
412 Posts
They just have powered curtains that open and close.

Personally I don't see the point in panoramic roofs, another thing to go wrong. A rare occurrence on the Civic's, but other car makes have had issues with them cracking spontaneously. I've heard of a couple doing it on the Civic's but not many. With a £1-2,000 repair bill, I'd skip panoramic roofs on all vehicles.

But of course I ain't everyone. And everyone likes different things, that's what makes us all unique. I've had a vehicle vandalised by drunk idiots, and they stamped over the bonnet and windscreen, if I had a panoramic roof the car would have been a write off, as they'd have no doubt stamped over that as well.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Yes, there is a motorised cover for the panoramic roof, and they are prone to failure - my one sticks when trying to open, and when you touch it to help it move it will snap right open, so I just leave it open all the time.

But I have to say I love it! Lets a lot more light in, much more headroom when it’s opened, less chance of the famous windscreen rust.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be without one on any car from now on.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Cars without pan roof prone to rust where it meets windscreen and is not cheap to repair.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
i-Vtec
2,795 Posts
I didn't really like my Panoramic roof when I first got it but I never have the blinds closed now. Id recommend buying a civic with one without a doubt. The positives out weight negatives. If you are tall it gives you extra headroom as well as no chance of rusting along the roof line either.

·
Registered
412 Posts
less chance of the famous windscreen rust.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be without one on any car from now on.
I've viewed panoramic roof Civic's with rust between the rubbers of the windscreen. They can and do rust under the windscreen seal.

My 2007 Civic Type S doesn't even have a bubble of rust on the roof around the windscreen. You're in the market for a >10 year old vehicle, the rust issue has most likely been tackled by now. At least on one with full service history and well looked after. I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a timing chain without full service history.

And the rust is only aesthetically unappealing, I personally couldn't careless if mine did bubble up, it's a 113K miled work horse, once this lockdown is over it'll be back up to 2K miles a month. So long as it's mechanically sound and the suspension is all OK, I ain't bothered about the bodywork.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Well I did say “less chance”. I’ve only ever heard of the non-pano models having the rust issue - and that’s from this site.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love having the pan roof in mine and also always have the blinds open. Just great for getting extra light inside on gloomy days especially. I could be wrong but I would think the problem of the blinds sticking may only be present on earlier models. I believe the problem was due to the type of grease Honda used to lubricate the little guides, which would dry up causing them to stick (or something like that anyway) They either changed the grease or redesigned the guides after realising the problem although I couldn't swear to there not being any more issues. Mines an 06 and the front blind sticks slightly but can be opened with a little assistance. Back one opens fine and both close fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love it when I have new passengers boarding my car; whenever I flick the switch, everyone goes quiet gazing at the panoramic roof in awe.

Every time lol, it’s also mainly to do with the mechanical sound heard when it opens (it’s soo soothing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,364 Posts
I find it difficult to understand why peeps get so excited about pano/sun roofs. What is the attraction about seeing a wide expanse of sky? What is the attraction of the excessive noise/wind with an open sun roof when the climate control will keep you at a comfortable temp without the aforementioned disadvantages? And that's not to mention the rattles. I wish that my model had been supplied without one.

·
i-Vtec
2,795 Posts
I find it difficult to understand why peeps get so excited about pano/sun roofs. What is the attraction about seeing a wide expanse of sky? What is the attraction of the excessive noise/wind with an open sun roof when the climate control will keep you at a comfortable temp without the aforementioned disadvantages? And that's not to mention the rattles. I wish that my model had been supplied without one.
Ive said before I wish Honda had made the Gen 8 with a normal sunroof. I used to have mine open almost all year round. I drive pretty much all the time with my window open, cracked maybe an inch or so, even when its raining. I guess a Pano roof was just the high end feature of its day, like an infotainment system which seems to be the most important feature in new cars today.

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
Trouble is that its not just infotainment but seems to do all the things you would prefer a button for, like heating controls etc.
A bit like those fancy cameras that you can talk to people on.

·
4,364 Posts
Is that even possible? :ROFLMAO: I thought that they ere for looking at whilst you bump into people/things and give you immunity to bigger things such as cars on the road.:eek:

·
i-Vtec
2,795 Posts
Trouble is that its not just infotainment but seems to do all the things you would prefer a button for, like heating controls etc.
Completely agree, its technology for technology's sake, its not improving anything. In a day and age where people are fixated with everything other than concentrating on driving the last thing they should be doing is giving people more reason to take their eyes off the road.

·
4,364 Posts
I'm quite pleased that my car has a couple of knobs to control the CC. But in half degree steps:eek:? Stupidity personified

·
Super Moderator
1,424 Posts
Completely agree, its technology for technology's sake, its not improving anything. In a day and age where people are fixated with everything other than concentrating on driving the last thing they should be doing is giving people more reason to take their eyes off the road.
Classic example is the new "digital" Golf!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Classic example is the new "digital" Golf!!!!!!!!!!
The German's over engineer their vehicles just for the hell of it. And they don't do a very good job at making their electronics reliable, either.

Non-stop electronical issues on all the older German vehicles. They age like milk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is definitely another thing to "go bad" . But as the guy said about passengers are in awe of it and the wife loves taking selfies inside of the car because of all the extra light.

side question; Right now in my corner of the world the rubber strip that is between the pano glass and the windsheild is becoming brittle because of the heat. anyone know if this can be easily replaced without pulling down the entire glass setup?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts