2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems ever-present doesn't it - "I have a German car, get out of my way" syndrome.

I'm seeing more Mercs 'being pushy' than before - seems to coincide with their recent 'more sporty image'.
Beemer owners almost seem to be the more civilised of the 3 - BMW, Merc, Audi.

I'm back in the office - with obvious restrictions and precautions - and my 20-25 minute commute, much quieter than before is mainly urban with a short national speed limit 'blast' just before home.
Part is enforced 20mph - small shopping area - which many ignore - I don't - it's there for a reason.

Last night, one of those horrible Q3 tanks tried to push me to speed up on the quiet 30 and 20 mph areas - I didn't, it's the law, simple as.
Seemed a higher spec model 'wanting to play', or just simply a typical Audi idiot driver!

Come the 4-500-metres of filter onto national speed limit dual carriageway, I floored my humble Honda 1.5T - totally destroyed his idea of blowing me away - up to admittedly 78-79 I gapped him ... then gently slowed to the roundabout.

Time to think how 'fantastic' that stupid Audi is now!!
Loved it.

Al.

·
i-Vtec
2,611 Posts
I have noticed, and I might add i am myself, driving a bit faster than normal due to the lack of traffic. TBH I LOVE people trying to Bully me out the way. Nothing I love more than having someone up my chuff, I just set the cruise and sit further down in the seat and not give them one bit of satisfaction they are winning. A guy in and Audi R8 did get the better of me a couple of weeks back heading up the M8, but what am I gonna do against that, lol. TBH the sound as he passed me well north of 90 was sublime.

·
4,249 Posts
I find that a technique for tailgaters is to slow down until the speed is commensurate with the gap he is leaving. It is generally then slow enough for him to overtake and woosh off angrily. At least he is no longer tailgating me.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still just keep to the limit - that's the point, it's maintain the flow but not exceed the maximum indicated speed - you could do 25 or 35 in a 30 or 40.

I prefer to keep on or 'within the permitted 10% above we don't know about' but no more.
I'm also playing the fuel consumption game - I'm nearly on 40 now, but would normally be on 36-37mpg.

Al.

·
4,249 Posts
There is no 'permitted' 10% + 2MPH. It is an ACPO 'recommendation' for the police (who do not run speed cameras. It's councils and do gooder Safety Partnerships). A lot of speed camera operators use this formula but it seems that the latest gantry mounted HADEX cameras on the M25 at al. do NOT use it, and you get a ticket for exceeding the posted limit, not posted limit +10%+2MPH.

Howeve, having said that, car spedos are notoriously inaccurate and do, by design, over read by 2-10% so that they never under-read even with minor tyre changes. If you have a GPS, that will give you an accurate speed to 'calibrate' your speedo against.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is totally true, of course.
As you state, most over-state the speed by varying degrees - Ford and Vauxhall cars are notorious for this, up to 10mph I've seen at times.

The 10% + 2mph is also correctly explained - it is a 'judicious guide' and there is no stone to etch anywhere - they are totally permitted to enforce 31 in 30mph without warning - just for 'consideration and less fath' I suppose.

I, like many I'm sure, have been behind new drivers GPS tracked doing 28, 38, 47 etc when occasionally in a hurry - not a consideration for safe, normal road use of course, and have been a little frustrated ... but I ACCEPT THIS and KEEP MY DISTANCE ... which many German AutoBahners just don't get.

Totally agreed M8TJT - does that mean you have, have had a BMW M8? .... !! :oops:

Al.

·
i-Vtec
2,611 Posts
Speedos have to over read by law. I know mine, and from what i've here, over read by 3mph at 30-60. Its an awful lot more than that when you reach 3 figures and can be 6mph out.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Das, I think they cannot UNDER-read, so they generally set the speedos to slightly over-read.

Obviously there are various factors to consider.

When new, the tyre is brand new, maximum tread, maximum circumference. As it wears, the circumference will naturally decrease, thus slightly more revolutions per mile, literally speaking - this will increase the effect of over-reading.
If a tyre is over-inflated, this will increase it's circumference, thus in relation to it's set calibration, will slightly UNDER-read - again and despite all disclaimers stating you must set tyre pressures according to manufacturers' recommendations, they will have to cover for this.

There are other various unknowns - possibly if not replacing with the original marque, make and specific issue / distribution of tyres, a new tyre itself - or remould possibly - will have a different circumference.

Back to 'the bullies', I would add Ford Kuga, Vauxhall Insignia and Nissan CashCows into the mix.
Nobody does it worse than Audi drivers for some strange reason - perhaps they're so well sound-insulated the driver genuinely doesn't realise, but I would guesstimate a good 25% drive like T£$%!!

Al.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts