2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Simple message about usability,

Remove Flash from the web site. Most browsers no longer handle flash well at all eg both Firefox and Edge tend to stutter and be slow when scrolling / viewing Flash pages. Civinfo is not alone with this, and most website with lots of flash Ads cause issues and this happens whether you use a pc or laptop.

Ever since the backlash against flash occurred and changes were made to reduce it's compatibility / increase security, there have been constant issues with stuttering web pages an unresponsive scripting.

Not sure what has changed overnight, maybe more Ads, but my Firefox is now stuttering like hell on Civinfo to the point where I simply won't come here if I continue to have difficulties like this.

Why not simply change the site over to HTML 5 content instead? That way the issue is solved permanently and you can still have ads / video content to your hearts content. As an aside, most mobiles and smart tv's don't support flash either so it's no great loss.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Hi Simple message about usability,

Remove Flash from the web site. Most browsers no longer handle flash well at all eg both Firefox and Edge tend to stutter and be slow when scrolling / viewing Flash pages. Civinfo is not alone with this, and most website with lots of flash Ads cause issues and this happens whether you use a pc or laptop.

Ever since the backlash against flash occurred and changes were made to reduce it's compatibility / increase security, there have been constant issues with stuttering web pages an unresponsive scripting.

Not sure what has changed overnight, maybe more Ads, but my Firefox is now stuttering like hell on Civinfo to the point where I simply won't come here if I continue to have difficulties like this.

Why not simply change the site over to HTML 5 content instead? That way the issue is solved permanently and you can still have ads / video content to your hearts content. As an aside, most mobiles and smart tv's don't support flash either so it's no great loss.
They can't... it's diesel powered ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,035 Posts
I've posted a pointer to here in our Civ_Admin area.

I agree, html5 is better, and the future.

·
Administrator
1,499 Posts
I'm looking into this with tech, as it stands site functionality should already be off flash (not on html 5 but that's a different process from simply getting off flash) should be using iframe etc. The ads still have flash in them I know that

Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm looking into this with tech, as it stands site functionality should already be off flash (not on html 5 but that's a different process from simply getting off flash) should be using iframe etc. The ads still have flash in them I know that

Kyle
OK thanks Kyle.

I'm not sure about the technical's behind all of this. All I do know is that many websites (news sites with flash adverts especially), freeze and stutter as a result of the changes to flash.

I know Youtube went over to HTML5 almost immediately after the changes and is generally OK.

Your site, btw seems to be scrolling better today, in fact it's really fast again. Someone's obviously turned the water up.:wink3::grin2:

·
Administrator
1,499 Posts
Hey there,

Flash is not dependent on the template being used. Some of the ads run off flash, and this is universal not site specific.

I'm glad to hear that the site is running better now.

There are no plans to convert to HTML5.

Richard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts