2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Getting Closer...

8K views 138 replies 18 participants last post by  DarrenN 
#1 ·
... could it happen this time!?!?!

Heading to the Honda Garage either tomorrow night or Thursday night, hoping for tomorrow but depends on if I can get away from work early as I was on leave all last week. Spoke to the Sales Manager today regarding getting my hands on a 59 plate modal and he said he currently has 2 in stock that he needs to sell and promises to offer me a good deal.

The models he has are:
1) Milano GT with optional Rages fitted
2) Championship White (Standard)

He would not commit to a price on the phone as he said he could not offer a confirmed price for either model until we met in person and talked about what I could afford, what he could afford to sell for, deposits, finance options etc... etc... Not sure if thats a good thing or not but it did give me the sense that he wanted to offer me a good deal... What do you think?

I did ask again towards the end of the call for a price, and he said "All I can say is that I have the 2 models and I need to sell them... I am sure we can come to an agreement and I promise you I will look after you and give you the best deal possible".

I don't want to get too excited but after the disappointment of not getting a 58 plate one last year, I really do feel good about it this time around...

Sorry for going on and on and on...

Darren

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Darren,

I went to Marshall on livingstone road last week,

I saw the Red one with rages fitted, price was £17980, discounted from £22k....dont know where the 22k came from..

Guy said they only deal was 35% deposit and 0% for 3 years, came out to £325 a yr..

Is it that one you will be looking at? let me know what deal you got

#4 ·
Tell me about it Robbo... Fingers Crossed!!

Hi Jason... Its not that one mate, its one in York. The guy in York spoke about that deal, but said he could even work on a deal that had 0% deposit, but until we sat down and talked about how much I could put into the car and about how much I could afford monthly etc... Plus what he was willing to sell for then he could not work out a contract term and/or an APR for it. I am hoping to aim for a 5.9% APR deal as I have at least 10% deposit... this would either leave me with a PCP deal or a HP deal I think.

All will come clear when I get in there and bash some numbers around... but its a move in the right direction at least - and finally I might be a happy man!! :)

#6 ·
Yeah true if you work it over 3 years on PCP, but thats exactly how PCP works... so you are getting exactly what you expect no surprises. The other option as I mentioned is taking that same deal over a 5 year HP, where you would pay more (due to interest) but own the car in the end.

Both options have their Pro's and Con's, and I am not sure which is the best way to go to be honest and I will seek advice from the dealer on this and then go away with his thoughts and my own and see what makes the most sense.

#8 ·
As far as I am aware the 35% deposit and 0% for 3 years is still on... It is still advertised on the Honda Site and the man at the Honda Garage confirmed that option today also. 35% is well out of the question for me, I am looking more around the 10% mark, hence why PCP could be an option.

If the car is worth 10k in 3 years and you have taken PCP with a final payment of 6k, you can hand the car back and that would still give you 4k towards the next model you wanted. Thats the main advantage of PCP... if you really do think you will be keeping the car for more than 3 years then its obviously the best option to go for HP.

I guess it comes down to the individual and also as to how long realistically you think you will be keeping the car for... PCP would also offer the option to hand the car back and pay nothing, now as you have said you could of spent 10k-11k in this time and have nothing to show for it, however the car might have depreciated 10k, so realistically you have not lost anything (except your deposit) as the car is only worth what you still owe, due to the depreciation.

The options are there... I need to see both the cars this week, talk about a price and a deal for each and then decide what options works best for me. I also want to negotiate the 5 Years Servicing into the deal and GAP Insurance. The Servicing can save many £££'s, and I just feel the GAP is good protection when buying an expensive car, as it covers for many shortfalls etc...

Exciting times... and hopefully within the next few weeks I will own one (FINALLY!!!)

#10 ·
Did this change recently? I went for the 0% over 3 years last week. They were also doing a "VIP" deal at my local Honda, which meant a 12% discount on all cars, might be worth seeing if any other dealers are doing similar, I'm not sure how long that is running for. Also don't let them sell you the iPod kit on a 59 (worse than built in USB), that's in another thread.

22k sounds like the GT with Rages and Satnav?

#12 ·
The £2k off retail price offer is funded by Honda, so you should get more off (out of the dealers margins) especially as they have the car in stock. I would aim for another £500 or more off the price. Also if you want any extras eg premium floor mats either get them thrown in as a part of the deal or at least get them at a discount as a part of the deal. I paid £60 for mine (retail at £99).

If the red one has satnav them check that it is an 09 car and not an 08 car (look at the VIN). Honda are currently offering the £2K off on satnav ones for 08 and 09 - which suggests that there are still some around.

BTW, I also got the 5 year service package - good value at £540.

#14 ·
Yeah thats what I was thinking... if he has it in stock then I should get a better deal, especially as he did say he "needs" to sell... buyers market still I think? It doesn't have SatNav but does have Rages, not sure how much they would cost the dealer though, and I am hoping the Mats are already in there, if not will try and get them in. He has confirmed its a 09, as it has the HID's and USB etc...

Civic Type-R GT With Rages (No SatNav): OTR is £21,730... so if we work on the following.

£21,730 - £2000 (Honda Discount) = £19,730

So basically I need to work on negotiating down from that price, and I am ideally wanting to get the car for £18,000... However that could be a little more discount that he wants to give, but we will see.

Not sure on the OTR of the White though, but I do know it will be harder to bargain a price for that as they are more in demand etc...

Service Package is something I am interested in too, and heard you can get that upto 8 months or 8000 miles after purchase, so will wait till I have some money for that...

Cheers

#13 ·
get the red one fella :)

had mine a week and love it - ha ha

Dal

#18 ·
I would like them, but not for the price so you do have a point with what you are saying as I would rather save the £1750. Hmmm might ring another dealer or 2 and see what they have stock wise etc...

Thanks for the suggestion... I mean why pay for something that is not actually essential to your original needs...!

#21 ·
#22 ·
A little update... I have manged to talk to another dealer who can get their hands on a MY09 model on a 59 plate with Sat Nav in Red... looking at around £18,500 maybe a little less... Would prefer this option to the Rages, as I think the SatNav+HFT would be a better money well spent option than Alloys.

Again see how the negotiation goes...

#23 ·
i paid £16,995 for my new 59 spec in red with a full tank and the super red mats.

i did mine in the end on PCP over 3 years, which worked out best for me.

good luck fella

Dal

#25 ·
Thats a good deal... Guessing that was a standard GT with no Nav or Rages? I am working on a deal at the moment that sits between 18k and 18.5k and that will be for a GT with Nav+HFT, so that price would make sense as the Nav is around 1.5k I believe. Similar deal I would say?

Good luck...you can always get the rages and swap them for my CTR wheels Darren;)
Haha yeah I guess that's an option mate, however I would like the Rages at some point just not for the price they go for when buying a new car, I would much rather spend the money on the Nav+HFT as thats something that you can not add later, well unless you get after-market non integrated stuff...

I am just working on the figures now, and the PCP deal is looking the best option, even if I pay the option fee and keep the car I will save a few thousand in interest... I just need to find a few hundred pounds I am short for the deposit.

Hopefully be ringing back in the morning, so that gives me a few hours to work something out regarding the money.

Cheers

#31 ·
Deal still not fully complete, but I think we are almost there. Rang this morning to sort out the loose ends and to finally agree everything, the dealer checked with Honda on the stock and that 5 that were there the day before we all gone :-( I was thinking bad thoughts at this point, and hit the table thinking all the negotiations to get the best deal could of cost me the car...

However with that all said, I received a call not so long ago from the dealer telling me he had sourced a car exactly as I wanted at another garage and that they were willing to let him have it and I am now hopefully going to finalise tomorrow....

Fingers Crossed time big style now it really is. I am happy with the price, the deposit hmmm well theres a story but the dealer is being a legend on that one and trying to get me in the correct place I need to be with it. The monthly payments are about right on the PCP deal too which is good...

Could I finally be about to own a Type-R... Lets see what tomorrow at 0900hrs hours brings!!!

#33 ·
Would definitely be up for that mate. Nice to put a face to a name etc...

It's been a battle, and I was really gutted when I got the call saying all stock was gone and that he would now need to source one, thought that was me done as Honda were not taking orders either... Then he comes back saying he can get one, all thats left is the deposit issue for the PCP Deal, the rest I am happy with as I will be paying a price for the car that I can afford and that is in my eyes a good deal.

If it goes wrong this time... then I am never buying, well trying to buy a Civic Type-R again as it will just clearly not be meant to be!!

#35 ·
Yeah sort of mate... I just know how much owning this car means to me, but I am level headed and would only make the move if I fully thought it was the right thing to do, and if I completely believed the deal I got was the best I could and that I was happy with it.

At the moment... Everything seems to work well with what I have agreed with the dealer today, I just need to ring in the morning and tell him that as long as what we agreed regarding the deposit stands then I want the car its then back in his hands to check that with his Manager, call me back, take a deposit and ring and get the car he sourced... Its then a 10-14 day wait I have been told to get the car, which will feel like forever no doubt.

Definitely not sleeping tonight :(

Will check the link out, and might even post in it.

#36 ·
i drive a milano red ctr/rages/sat/nav/hft 58 plate its 1 year old next month and i love it. try for 1 with it all.its the iceing on the cake fools rush in where angels fear to tread........it sounds like you want it all,and personally i would chose rages over sat nav;)

#39 ·
Yeah I do want it all mate... however the SatNav+HFT it something you have to have from the start, no chance to add it later whereas the Rages are something you can get at a later date without problem, or even get a different set of wheels if you want some individuality. But I do hear what you are saying, and I do believe the Rages look smart but for me they could be sacrificed for the NAV+HFT.

If its not leaving you without and you can live with the costs, then go for it. My car is a very important part of my life..Its basically a hobby as well as a necessity
I assume youve got an insurance quote that youre happy with as well.
Good luck tomorrow
It will be tighter than I would like for the first few months whilst we finish paying the other-half's car off, but when thats done I will be sitting in the same situation monthly as I am now as the payments are practically the same. Ideally I would have waited until hers was paid, but sometimes deals like this just don't come around very often... Obviously thats not taking into consideration the running of two cars etc... but regards the actually car payment is what I mean (make sense?).

Insurance wise... I sat down and thought about what I could afford before heading in for the deal and set a limit of £700 a year for insurance, and the cheaper quotes have been coming in around £720-£780, however I am tempted with a 10 month bonus accelerator as would prefer to be paying it more in the middle of the year than this close to Christmas. Just not sure whether they are worth it or not or to just stick with 12 months. Going to get the car bit sorted first and then knuckle down to get the best deal, but I do have an idea at least.

GAP insurance is £135 and I will get that before the 90 day deadline, just not now as the insurance should cover like for like on a new car, however I do want to have that cover for years 2 and 3 of the PCP, so have to ensure I sort it.

Servicing wise I think I am going to pay for them, as it could be possible that I only need 2 services (millage depending) before the end of the PCP, and I am currently unsure whether I will keep the car or not so don't want to commit to the idea I will. 2 Services only would save me money, 3 would cost me around £50 more than the deal is. If I get rid of the car then its not too bad, if I keep it its a mistake not getting the deal, however its money I do not have at the moment - then again its something you can add upto 8 months after purchase or 8000 miles, so time to think etc...!

Thanks for the luck mate... :)

#38 · (Edited)
Whilst you seem intent on the Milano, I would definitely plump for the Champ White in the position you find yourself in, if the stretch is 'bridgeable' financially :D

Yeah the Rages are alright I suppose, but the LSD, and exclusive paintcode is better, definitely - even if a more aggressive aftermarket LSD, fitted to the Milano, can be had for half the price of the Honda OEM one!

From what I'm reading as well, you need to cool it, and let them chase you - the decision will become alot easier, and more of an attractive proposition if they know you're not sucked in by the car - and that you're a tough cookie to crack - better deals can be had, you just have to play the game, and where possible dealers/franchises against each other.

You work hard for your money, make them work hard for theirs

#42 ·
Champ White ones are going for 21k and over mate, which is way out of my price range, as much as I agree that they look fantastic etc... I can not justify spending so much more money on what is the same car in a different colour with LSD...

I have spoke to other dealers, I am not getting sucked in by wanting the car and I am in no rush at all... what you should be reading is that I will only sign when I am happy with the deal as I have said. I would not say the dealer is chasing either though... he has called me and I have called him and we have been negotiating on this since Sunday, so I am sure you can agree I am aiming for the deal that suites me. Thats 3 days already and its still not done...

#48 ·
Unfortunately not as I don't have 35% or I agree that would be amazing, I am doing the 10% deal with 5.9% for 36 months on PCP, that combined with if I do pay the GTMFV would mean I got the car for a price that I personally think is great for a car that is normally OTR in excess of 21k.

I don't know what I will be doing in 3 years, so can not comment on what I will be doing with the car, but I like the idea of having the options that I have in 3 years as opposed to an HP deal for 5 years. You have to go with what you can afford and as I said earlier the monthly payments and everything should work out fine...

#50 ·
Thats an example Jason, just to show you how you can work it... they are trying to give the impression of low payments. However say the car was £18,000 then you would need to find £1800 as the deposit (10%), Monthly payments would be over £300 though.

We are all sorted for the deal now, just need to make the call in the morning and hopefully go firm on everything and pay a deposit... then its the waiting game for the call telling me the car is in the Garage etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.