2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
No it doesn't sheet with Rainx, it beads. I've got it on my side windows. Absolutely crap for windscreens IMHO. No arguments about the pros and cons of Rainx et al please. I wouldn't put it on my windscreen if you paid me to.
Wasn't sure which one you wanted.
Personally I hate things like rainx but some customers love it.
Definitely nilglass for you, have a look at reviews it's impressive stuff.
I've had some right filthy screens come up lovely with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/nilglass/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:nilglass

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Although I agree with you for the inside K, it's the outside that I am banging on about. If the water beads, then the wipers cause 'microbeads' which leave a milky haze for a short time during the sweep and this 'mictrobeading' causes a lot of glare from oncoming cars. Traffic 'haze' on the screen has exactly the same effect.
Get the glass 'sheeting' clean, and that doesn't happen.

Wasn't sure which one you wanted.
I thought that I had been pretty clear about that in post #9, it you'll pardon the pun.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I still go with my original 'Invisible Glass' if you don't want the RainX stuff then stick with the normal stuff. It evaporates from the glass.

As posted a few times, use a plastic style kitchen sponge/scourer and work it in before polishing with a microfibre.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Well, I've cracked it. Not the windscreen.
This stuff. Mixed with a little water to get a thin paste then apply with clay and a bit of elbow grease. It even takes the nasty anti rain stuff that is on my rear screen. Just need to finish off the rear then start on the front. Where I have done it, the water just sheets without a trace of beading or what look like greasy patches.

DSC01416.jpg DSC01417.jpg
Needs a bit more work at the top of the R/H side.

The possible snag is that it tends to run down the glass and basically get everywhere, but a goodly hosing off gets it off.

I suspect it's this stuff that's in the glass cleaner I used before I put the nasty rain stuff on the rear screen of my Accord.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Well, I've cracked it. Not the windscreen.
:laugh:

Must say, after a long break from using it, I put some RainX on the windscreen.

Big mistake :D
I must say, with the wax that I applied, there was much less smear, and far more running off.

Ended up blasting all the RainX off with windscreen wash.

·
i-Vtec
1,506 Posts
Windows........

Windows really are my Nemesis!!!! Granted ive not tried a lot of different products, AG Fast Glass, AG Window Polish, Turtle wax window polish, Mr Muscle(!!!), etc but I never seem to achieve a smear free finish. Ive even bought dedicated window cloths but still never get a good finish. Im tempted to try Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol Glass Cleaner Spray as ive read good reviews.

Whats everyone's secrets?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Use multiple cloths - Apply / clean with one, and then "buff off" with another. When cleaning, make sure the dirt is coming off and not just being pushed around, to save dirtying your clean(er) cloth.

·
i-Vtec
1,506 Posts
Tried that. I use one microfibre to apply, one MF to remove, and one Waffle cloth to buff. Stlll to little effect. Granted side windows are reasonable, but the windscreen is just shocking. BTW its not a civic thing, always had this issue.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Is the MF you are using to remove / Waffle cloth copmletely clean of all product? Generally, If I'm going for a proper finish, I'll use a new one out of the pack:- Usually do this for the interiors, as the cleaning is less frequent and the streaks more noticeable.

That's another point - a Protip - If you wipe one way (Horizontal) inside and vertical outside, you can tell where the streaks are.

I'd say try again with a completely new cloth to remove - With AG Fast Glass, I had no streaks at all with a fresh cloth.

Furthermore, how much product are you using? It will evaporate, so you can apply liberally to ensure you're not pushing dirt about.Other than that, not too sure where you are going wrong.

·
Registered
365 Posts
No product. It's the only part of the car I use the leather chamois on any more. A clean, damp (not wet) wipe after a wash will always produce a chemical streak free finish inside and out. I know the windscreen can be a pain especially on the inside.

My previous trick was newspaper for the ink. That ink is used in professional lens cleaning kits which is why newspapers were so effective, but who reads newspapers anymore. I know how to clean glass:wink3:, been cleaning my own lenses for close to 15 years. http://500px.com/peniole

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Any product that is advertised as a polish is going to leave some residue behind. It's this residue that smears.

Over the years I've used alsorts and none really worked 100% to my liking.

My latest and best is to use 'Invisible Glass'. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Glass-92164-Premium-Windscreen/dp/B000M3V95U You can get neat or with rain repellent. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Glass-Premium-Windscreen-Repellent/dp/B001T95NLM
Currently 233 Amazon reviews for the basic stuff with a 4.5 out of 5 rating so not just me.

I apply it gently, inside and out, with one of those green plastic kitchen scourers then wipe (scrub) off with a few microfibres.
It's the sort of stuff you see go on and evaporate off almost immediatelly so leaves the glass clean.

Works for me.

·
Administrator
17,941 Posts
+1 to Invisible Glass and I've also found a pukka glass specific cloth works really well too.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,354 Posts
Cleaned front and rear with one of these today. Followed by invisible glass with their window cleaning aid for reaching the bottom of the front screen and a soft microfibre to polish off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts