2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having the same issue as the quote from below from another thread.
Anyone know where this sensor is located so I can check mine.
Thanks

The error code reported is:-

P2185 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit High

Spoke to Honda Parts - new sensor is £65.40 retail and is part code PFKL554663, considering this was done at work by our Fitters, I have saved money from not going to a Honda Dealer to get it checked in the first instance (and getting charged for the pleasure)

Going to buy the part tomorrow and install as soon as I can :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reading this I thought I will help with my experience of the same problem. My radiator fans would start running as soon as I turn the ignition key and would work all along. The problem was the coolant temperature sensor located at the bottom left of the radiator. You have to take the plastic shield from underneath the car off and you should be able to spot it quite easily. Mine had one of the pins corroded and broke into the connector hence the continuous running of the fans. Ordered one from Honda (part no pfkl 554663 £65). The problem was the connector which had one of the sensor's pins still in, so I managed to find the connector from the indicator in the wing mirror (it is the same connector).

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Im having the same issue but im confused!!!

I had the following error code: P2185 as above.

Now honda told me the part number started with 37870? But the above posts say different??

I dont want to buy this part from honda as im sure its available cheaper elsewhere??

Is this the part:

Honda Accord Civic CR-V FR-V Temperature Sensor

Need it before saturday so any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
425 Posts
Reading this I thought I will help with my experience of the same problem. My radiator fans would start running as soon as I turn the ignition key and would work all along. The problem was the coolant temperature sensor located at the bottom left of the radiator. You have to take the plastic shield from underneath the car off and you should be able to spot it quite easily. Mine had one of the pins corroded and broke into the connector hence the continuous running of the fans. Ordered one from Honda (part no pfkl 554663 £65). The problem was the connector which had one of the sensor's pins still in, so I managed to find the connector from the indicator in the wing mirror (it is the same connector).

I believe those connectors are called Econoseals and can be had from Farnell if you don't want to steal one from your mirror. Terminals can be crimped with the type of crimpers you would find in a basic electronics tool kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had exactly the same problem, and initially bought what I was told was the correct non-Honda part from GSF: COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR 929GM0460. Once I had exacted the failed sensor I discovered that this is actually the temp sensor for inside the engine, not the radiator one. So in the end I had to buy the honda part and a replacement connector from a honda dealer, 80 odd quid.

Note that the connector is the Honda version of the Econoseal type. I had bought some Econoseal connectors off the web and they didn't fit either.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Great advice above. Just replaced my engine coolant temperature sensor. The original sensor had a rusty broken pin in the connector. As I don't have any ramps, I managed to replace the sensor by reaching down with the bonnet open. I had to remove the battery and the plastic tray which the battery sits in. Also remove the plastic engine cover on top of the engine. If your arms are long enough and you are not built like a gorilla then you should be able to reach down and unplug the sensor. Next ensure that the engine is cool as some coolant will leak out when you loosen the sensor with a spanner. It also helps to remove the coolant filler cap to depressurise the coolant system (I found this out the hard way after having my hand blasted by coolant). Next remove the sensor and have a suitable bung available to seal the M10 hole (I used a finger!). Fit the new sensor including O-ring and tighten. Refit the battery etc and that's job done! I topped up my engine coolant as I lost about 200ml during the process. I ordered the new sensor from Ebay, only £22. search for "VE375108"...Good luck!

·
Premium Member
18,080 Posts
Has anyone managed to buy a new connector rather than pinching it from the wing mirror indicator
Sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread but I have just been looking into fixing my rad fan's on constantly when I saw this last post.

Cox have the sensor AND loom connector listed on their website Genuine Honda Civic ECT Sensor + Replacement connector-2006-2011 [37870RAAA01/32200SMGZS00HE] - £65.76 : Buy Genuine Honda Parts, Honda Car Parts & Honda Spare Parts Online :)

I thought it might help someone else too...

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Before you go spending money on things you may not need.
Diagnose the issue, Look at a wiring diagram which members here can help you with and trace the fault back starting from the radiator fan to the battery.

The issue will be some where there.
Also check for any Check engine codes, as the ECU sends a signal to power the fan, if it is being told to when it shouldnt, you will see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.