2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Party Organizer!
734 Posts
Ouch! 100.000 miles? Its been halfway round the world and back... I would go for an older one with less miles, no doubt about it!

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Quite a few angles to approach this one. Firstly I'll add that I know nothing of the value of these cars. But in general if you buy a 80k car and sell on as a 120k car you'll take a depreciation hit as the market for 100k+ sports car tails off. So buying a 100k car it's possibly already seen it's biggest depreciation so you'll have cheaper motoring.

Having said the above, if same aged cars with 80k are only £1500 cheaper then I'd say they are the better value ones.

ps. several friends have had 100k+ honda type-r cars with no reliability issues. For me the debate is one of value for money.

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
The engines tend to be very reliable, but personally I would search for a lower mileage model.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
I say go for it, its pretty much guaranteed at that age to be company motorway miles so it probably hasnt been hammered too much, full honda service history as well... should be fine!
My civics on close to 160k now and touch wood everything still perfect on it!

·
The Party Organizer!
734 Posts
Indeed they are, but it's still got 100k miles on the suspension, clutch, gearbox the interior, etc, etc.
Enough said! 100k miles, in my opinion, is a hell of a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I am on 116,500 at the moment and still runs smooth and is still a beauty of an engine - go for it!
Obviously lots of Motorway miles in that short period!

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I wouldn't pay £6k for a diesel car with 100k on the clock nevermind a petrol one, think if you bought that and added even more miles you will struggle to sell it on as everybody will just want one with less miles.

Personal opinion either get it dirt cheap or find one with less miles. People are saying oh it must just be motorway miles..i hate how people assume that because its high milage, and it might have had 100k hard miles you just don't know.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I would always go newer with more miles than older with less.. if those were my two choices, of course. Ideally you'd want newer with less miles.

A car that has done 100k in 2-3 years, it's all going to be motorway miles. I'd knock the price down a lot, and test drive and if it's in good condition; take it. Don't take it at that price, though. A fair amount needs to be taken off.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Indeed they are, but it's still got 100k miles on the suspension, clutch, gearbox the interior, etc, etc.
That amount of millage in just 2-3 years, it's all motorway. What do you generally do on the motorway? Stick it in 6th and cruise. The brakes, clutch and gear box have probably been used less than my 38k.

If I had to chose a high millage new car or low millage old one, as long as the higher millage is in good condition, with FSH, I'd take it every time.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
definitely worth a look but you would want to knock at least 1k off in my opinion!

·
Registered
346 Posts
As its only 3 years old you maybe able to purchase (or hagel) the 3 yr extended honda warranty.

I bought and run a few high mileage Hondas, admittedly not 100k but then 60k on a H plate was more than equal to a 100 k on a 09 so I would have no qualms about the mileage provided the price is good.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
You're a muppet then.;)

Ive just bought a 07 plate S with 27k on. You telling me you'd rather have the car in question with 4x the mileage?
Think he means for the price mate :)
A 27k well looked after Type S will still command good money IMO...

I think he means something thats like 3 years old with 100k for £5000 or something thats 6 years old with 60k
Its the type of driving that wrecks a car not the mileage... I understand the reasoning behind this statement

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Motorway miles isn't always good, not if you are talking about the car park called the M25! lol

I personnally will always buy a car with 30k or lower, it all depends on how many miles you plan to do in it and how long you want to keep it for. Then of course you have to consider its resell price, would you be able to sell it afterwards for good money if at all with over 100k on it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.