·
Premium Member
594 Posts
looks like it had a towbar on?

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Does look tidy mate! Only you can judge it fully though :D

The cut-out is for a detachable towbar by the looks of it ?

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,653 Posts
Thanks I thought that also, I'll confirm soon. Anything to look out for? I have been reading through the wiki but just in case.

Cheers
Clutch. If it hasnt already been replaced at 78,000 it will be due. See if you can get it to slip on a test drive

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.

As for the clutch slipping, have you guys had this? and can you remember which gear is started happening in first?

I guess I will just leave the handbrake on and try pulling away but as it's a diesel would this be a sufficient test?

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Thanks guys.

As for the clutch slipping, have you guys had this? and can you remember which gear is started happening in first?

I guess I will just leave the handbrake on and try pulling away but as it's a diesel would this be a sufficient test?
I wouldn't stick the handbrake on to test this...

Stick it in 3rd or 4th and drive up hill doing 30-40mph, you'll know if its slipping or not as the revs will increase but not your speed when you try to floor it.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I would walk away after I saw the Towbar.

That could have been towing a caravan, which isn't light. Could have put a lot of strain on the engine.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
I would walk away after I saw the Towbar.

That could have been towing a caravan, which isn't light. Could have put a lot of strain on the engine.
increased load true but shouldn't be a problem as us tractor boys have oodles of torque :D the 2.2 should manage comfortably although you wouldn't catch me stickin' a towbar on 'my precious' :police:

however clutch test is essential imo as well as taking note of the bite point to crudely judge how new the clutch is.

the 1.8 might blow up pullin' a trailor though :worms: lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lol at that last comment.

Looks tidy mate I bought one very similar for the same price but 10,000 miles less and fhsh and no tow bar. But I could have just been lucky. I still think its worth the money as it is.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am too a little worried about it having towed a caravan possibly, not because I don't think the engine can take it but the clutch. I have the perfect hill in mind anyhow. Is the byting point extremely low on a good one?

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Listen out for any clonky noises from the rear as rear shocks on earlier models were an issue. Also good tip when buying 2nd hand. Start it when its cold as some dealers warm the engine up to hide issues.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses, I did not go with that civic in the end as I found another (the tow bar had some influence also).
I have put a deposit on one in Helensburgh at an Arnold Clark garage. I guess it's risky for me as I've not seen it yet (323 miles away) but I can always turn it down when I get there if it's not as described.

It's an Arnold Clark ex lease:

2007 Civic Type S GT
Bronze
76500 miles
MOT'd till November
New service shall be done
Sat Nav
Bluetooth
Voice Control
They shall respray the bonnet (they said it had quite a few stonechips)
And got some mats threw in
£7000

Oh and they've offered to have my old car off me for £200 (S reg Astra with head gasket going)

Shall hopefully pick it up in about 2 weeks :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.