2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some praise for Honda for once for the 8th gen rear bumper.

A post office transit van rammed me in traffic this morning at about 5 mph. Real loud crash and car jumped several feet forwards.

Fearing the worst, I got out and looked. Not a scratch!!

Even ran it down to the dealers for a check over. They could find nothing wrong either and the tech told me they're designed to take a 5mph impact without damage. Not sure they had a transit van in mind, but still it worked!

Thank you Honda, a bit of excellent design.

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
Nice to hear!!!

Also good to hear someone who's just checked their car over and doesn't sound like they are going to go in search of whip'cash'

Reactions: misterk

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
Are you 100% sure there's no damage behind the bumper?

Did the Honda tech take the bumper off, take the trims off the inside?

I've seen civic rear panels, lower rear qaurter panels and bootfloor damage when there's not a mark on the bumper.

The fact that you said the car jumped a couple of feet would get me thinking that there might be some hidden damage.

The back end of our civics are pretty soft.(not just the paint)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The tech did the inspection when I wasn't there but said that he'd been under the car and could see no damage.

There wasn't so much as a scratch on the plastic or paintwork, surprising when its soo soft.

However, I was told the bumpers are designed to absorb 5mph without any damage. They're designed to flex and absorb the shock, then reform apparently.

I'll have a look myself tomorrow just to be sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.