I swapped my 10 Reg 1.8 SI for a 62 Reg 1.8 ES two weeks ago. I have listed the advantages and disadvantages of the 9G over the 8G as I see them.
- The ride and suspension is much improved
- It has greater quality dash and is more comfortable.
- Hands free phone is a great bonus. I only discovered the voice tag a few days ago (must read thy handbook).
- Rear camera is a great aid once you get used to the distance it displays.
- My boot liner from the SI fitted perfectly, and the boot is deeper.
- Stop/start works well once I disconnected and reconnected the -ve battery terminal. The clock had to be reset and the radio on button held down for a few seconds to get the radio working once the battery was connected. I am not sure how much fuel it saves, but I tend to switch it off in stop/start traffic.
- The 9G feels like a heavier car and is less sporty, although probably just as fast.
- 9G is not much more economical than the 8G, although the mpg may improve with added miles.
- I Mid display is a disaster. Why would you want to see the instantaneous mpg all the time? The range and mpg should be displayed on one screen and we should be able to scroll through more screens.
- Heating switch gear is too small and set too low. I expect I will get used to operating it by touch.
- Auto lights and wipers are a bit of a gimmick. The wiper speed needs constant manual adjustment.
- Generally the panel fit is very good except the huge gap at the lower section of the boot.