2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped my 10 Reg 1.8 SI for a 62 Reg 1.8 ES two weeks ago. I have listed the advantages and disadvantages of the 9G over the 8G as I see them.
IMG_0936a.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

Advantages
  • The ride and suspension is much improved
  • It has greater quality dash and is more comfortable.
  • Hands free phone is a great bonus. I only discovered the voice tag a few days ago (must read thy handbook).
  • Rear camera is a great aid once you get used to the distance it displays.
  • My boot liner from the SI fitted perfectly, and the boot is deeper.
  • Stop/start works well once I disconnected and reconnected the -ve battery terminal. The clock had to be reset and the radio on button held down for a few seconds to get the radio working once the battery was connected. I am not sure how much fuel it saves, but I tend to switch it off in stop/start traffic.
Disadvantages
  • The 9G feels like a heavier car and is less sporty, although probably just as fast.
  • 9G is not much more economical than the 8G, although the mpg may improve with added miles.
  • I Mid display is a disaster. Why would you want to see the instantaneous mpg all the time? The range and mpg should be displayed on one screen and we should be able to scroll through more screens.
  • Heating switch gear is too small and set too low. I expect I will get used to operating it by touch.
  • Auto lights and wipers are a bit of a gimmick. The wiper speed needs constant manual adjustment.
  • Generally the panel fit is very good except the huge gap at the lower section of the boot.
Generally the 9G is a nicer car to drive, is more comfortable and grown up, but the heater controls and the I mid display could be improved.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Nice cars, both the old one and the New one! :)

I agree With you on the issue With the heater. On the 8G it was so high that you always had it at hand, and never needed to look away from the road. But you get used to it, only took me a couple of days. Still, I'd like to have it higher. Also agree on the I-mid, its to complicated and it doesn't seem they thought it through.

But - I'd never swap back, I love the 9G. And I love the autolights, Works perfectly! Never have to switch on the high beams again :D

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
I agree that the heater controls are badly placed but on the defensive I tend to set my climate control to 21°C both sides and just forget about it.

Agree about the lower boot shut lines and I have commented about this previously.

Also, as above, the MY13 iMid has been sorted so you can change it whilst on the move now.

As for the MPG, mine is giving me about 9MPG more than my 8G auto and about 6MPG more than my old i-shift.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Lower boot shutlines...may be a silly question, but what do you mean? Stupid Norwegian doesn't understand... :confused:
About the boot, 9G Hatch Closes perfectly every time, while the 8G was a bit difficult if you didn't shut it the right way, at least on my car.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
IMID was a lost opportunity to be up there with in-car connectivity/tech... The hardware is there and capable... just the software is very poorly thought out.

Easy rectified with updates if Honda could be bothered

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
Lower boot shutlines...may be a silly question, but what do you mean? Stupid Norwegian doesn't understand... :confused:
About the boot, 9G Hatch Closes perfectly every time, while the 8G was a bit difficult if you didn't shut it the right way, at least on my car.
If you look at the boot/tailgate, at the lower area, (near the Civic badge) the gap between the tailgate and the side panel is quite wide in comparison to the rest of the panel gaps.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Ah does the ES not have voice control for the climate?

Driver: "Fan speed 2"
Car: "Fan Speed 6"
Driver: "Fan speed 2!"
Car: "Bluetooth Audio on"
Driver: "Forget it"

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
Ah does the ES not have voice control for the climate?

Driver: "Fan speed 2"
Car: "Fan Speed 6"
Driver: "Fan speed 2!"
Car: "Bluetooth Audio on"
Driver: "Forget it"
My usual is "Call Home" = "Zero Four Nine Three, say yes to confirm or continue to add numbers", etc or some other random series of numbers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Voice activation is never king to be perfect but I get well enough with it to continue to use.

·
Registered
113 Posts
[*]Stop/start works well once I disconnected and reconnected the -ve battery terminal. The clock had to be reset and the radio on button held down for a few seconds to get the radio working once the battery was connected. I am not sure how much fuel it saves, but I tend to switch it off in stop/start traffic.
Stop/start is buggy, in my opinion. If you don't use the car for 3-4 days it says that the battery is too low. But if you disconnected and reconnected the -ve battery terminal, it works like a charm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts