2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropping a line to say I've got it! My own spaceship landed today! Pretty much hassle-free handover at the dealers (impressive service all round) - just one or two minor things, so maybe I'll save them for a later post.

Car looks really good, but unfortunately due to the crap weather I can't get out to take a pic and post it.

:shock: My vote for most useful feature to date is the retracting wing mirrors - without it I wouldn't be able to get the car in the garage!! That's gonna be a right pain and I think we should start a sweep on the date when my 'bust wing mirror' post appears!!

Thought I'd done my HW and the width stats on my old Stilo were 1,756 mm and the Civic 1,765. A difference of less than 1cm surely can make that much difference, I thought. I think I know where I must have cocked up. I assumed that width was measured from wing mirror tip to wing mirror tip - but I don't think it can be. Anybody out there know for sure how width is measured?

glh1508

·
Registered
15 Posts
No idea...but that's the reason we picked a model with folding mirrors! I just sit there and thread the car into the garage, and then advance slowly before I hit the lawnmower at the end! We have a tennis ball suspended from the ceiling to tell us where to stop (when it touches the windscreen)!

Phew!

Dave!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave

Great idea with the tennis ball, although length is not a problem! (Not often said that sentence!) We have a double tandem garage (ie fits in 2 cars end to end).

Today I'm gonna see if I can drive in AND get out of the car - another good reason to start that diet asap.

glh1508

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
glh1508 said:
Just dropping a line to say I've got it! My own spaceship landed today! Pretty much hassle-free handover at the dealers (impressive service all round) - just one or two minor things, so maybe I'll save them for a later post.

Car looks really good, but unfortunately due to the crap weather I can't get out to take a pic and post it.

:shock: My vote for most useful feature to date is the retracting wing mirrors - without it I wouldn't be able to get the car in the garage!! That's gonna be a right pain and I think we should start a sweep on the date when my 'bust wing mirror' post appears!!

Thought I'd done my HW and the width stats on my old Stilo were 1,756 mm and the Civic 1,765. A difference of less than 1cm surely can make that much difference, I thought. I think I know where I must have cocked up. I assumed that width was measured from wing mirror tip to wing mirror tip - but I don't think it can be. Anybody out there know for sure how width is measured?

glh1508
Honda quotes 2 widths the 1765 is without mirrors, with the mirrors its over 2m (2046mm to be exact!!)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No wonder then. Thanks Stretch for the info. Where did you get that? I'll try to find the corresponding FIAT info just to compare.

ghl1508

·
Registered
246 Posts
Aren't garages just for the rubbish that is collected over time?
I have not even attempted to put mine in the garage filled, as it is, with freezer, boxes, bikes, garden tools etc etc.
Perhaps I need to invest in a garden shed!

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
glh1508 said:

gara:s thehock: My vote for most useful feature to date is the retracting wing mirrors - without it I wouldn't be able to get the car in ge!! That's gonna be a right pain and I think we should start a sweep on the date when my 'bust wing mirror' post appears!!

glh1508
Without folding mirrors I would'nt be able to garage the car either. Concrete fence posts on one side, downpipes on the other, and a slight dog-leg into the garage. The thing is, on the car insurance, I've said its in a locked garage overnight, so you have to comply with these things. :oops:

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I have not even tried, I thought they were there to collect the stuff that "might come in". Besides, I have seen my neighbour try and thread here Vauxhall Agila in to the garage, even that needs the wong mirrors folding in. I think we have one of those 3/4 garage things, that add value to the house by having, but serve little or no purpose.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
A lot of houses with "integral garage" are only big enough for the old mini or ford anglia. I had an Anglia estate many moons ago 998cc , four branch manifold, caribbean turquoise, with white roof. Never let me down. Great little car.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
glh1508 said:
No wonder then. Thanks Stretch for the info. Where did you get that? I'll try to find the corresponding FIAT info just to compare.

ghl1508
Its in a number of places the honda website, go and configure a civic click on the specification tab in the flash configurator it provides the details, its in the brochure too, I actually grabbed it from a copy of what car I had lying around with a civic group test... I remembered it from when a bone head motor journo was going on about how wide the civic felt when he was following an Audi A8 well that's because with the mirrors extended it's actually wider than an A8!! :lol:

FYI Fiat Stilo is 1941mm wide with mirrors!! info courtesy of what car again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm gonna have to join the journo in the bonehead gang! :oops:

Ta very much for your help.

glh1508

1 - 11 of 11 Posts