2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as some of you know the 10G GPS sucks. I politely mentioned that in a letter through my dealer to Honda with picture evidence of how much it sucks. We got the following response back from Honda:

1. They sent me a questionnaire on when and how the sucking occurs. (journey points, parallel in a field getting lost or wrong direction lost...etc.) basically asking us everything we already noted down in our letter.

2. And this is the interesting bit. They sent a GPS calibration procedure, and asked if once done does it improve or fix it. Haven't tried it yet, but here it is for everyone to try. Translated from German.

First check that the 12V battery on the vehicle is in good condition.

The following procedure must be done away from buildings, power lines, other cars and strong magnetic fields.

Drive the car at constant speed (no more than 1.6km/h/s change) for a minimum of 200m without changing direction of steering wheel more than 5 degrees. Park in an open field and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes. Test drive the car and take a 90 degree turn (repeat 2 to 4 times) afterwards in said open field. Report back.

Anyone have access to an big Ass open air parking lot or airfield? I don't.

Don't know how I'll be able to do this one. But I'll try anything if it gets them to do something about the GPS.

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
Not got an Ikea or Costco close to you? Bound to have a large car park. Can just see it now, 2 am creeping around a car park.

"No officer im not drunk, im just calibrating my GPS Signal"

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol!

Sadly, no Costco in Germany. Nearest ikea is 25km away with underground lots.

Nearest open area is actual park. "what are these patterns in the grass? You ever seen right angle crop circles?"

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So did it ridiculously early this morning. It was a bit lost at the time. After the second 90 degree turn it suddenly found me. On the way to work at one of those spaghetti junctions it typically gets confused at, it tracked true! Color me impressed.

It didn't last though, next one of those it got lost again but recovered quicker than before. Next start up, got lost again, but recovered and got lock quicker than usual.

So while calibration helped there seems to be a deeper problem. At least in mine.

Please report back here if you try this calibration.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Not tried the cal, but yours seems to get lost far more often than mine. I only wander off into the countryside very occasionally.

Sometimes at startup, its not in the right pace by a few 10's of yards, bu quickly settles down. I assume it's the startup looking for the sats.
My Garmin device never loses the road once 'locked on'. The only time it has wandered off, is when I wend down a new bypass which had not been mapped.>:)

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Never liked it the day i had the car, can never find the address im looking for and keeps predicting random addresses miles from where i want to go, i much preferred the one from my 9g, simple to use no prediction, pop the post code in and scroll down to the address you want or just pop the address in and it found it easily, unless theres settings i can go into if someone can point me in the right direction 😀

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After escalating the issue with Honda. Either fix or replace the headunit. I've been told that a firmware update is due February. They also confirm the GPS problem has become very common in our model year.

Will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Glad to hear Honda are addressing in a 'February' update.

I too experience this issue, with varying levels of inaccuracy.

Some days it doesn't seem too bad, but then on longer runs I only really look at the HUD for turns and lane changes.

I checked for updates this morning - nothing yet so 8 days of hope in February remain for us...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well here's the latest update. The firmware update did not fix the problem. Honda now are admitting it is a hardware problem. Some kind of interference from the instrument panel, which Honda are telling dealers to replace. My dealer has ordered me a new instrument panel, as well as requested a new head unit. I'll keep this thread updated.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Well here's the latest update. The firmware update did not fix the problem. Honda now are admitting it is a hardware problem. Some kind of interference from the instrument panel, which Honda are telling dealers to replace. My dealer has ordered me a new instrument panel, as well as requested a new head unit. I'll keep this thread updated.
So what I've been saying from day 1 this was first reported is true - electrical interference. Given it's random I wonder what kicks in and out to produce this ?

I now feel sorry for those owners who who decide to go ahead and now face a dash strip and rebuild.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the update.

What an expensive and time consuming issue to resolve. I will see how Honda deal with this when I visit them tomorrow.

I'm beginning to dread the amount of work my essentially 'new' car is going to need doing to it before I find it acceptable to drive.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
My Honda man has not heard of this one. I'll post how to fix the idle stop problem in the right thread tomorrow sometime.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wonder if Honda are still trying to 'replace hardware' in the hope of it rectifying the issue. I understand at least one of us forum members had their sunroof replaced in order to fix the rattling, whereas others have seemingly had a 'repair' done - presumably with some kind of sealant/lubricant.

I suspect that if the Android 'tablet', that essentially makes up the touchscreen head unit has it's own GPS receiver, as most tablets do, it could cause interference with a separate receiver in the dashboard somewhere...

Let's hope it sorts out your issue Peniole, do keep us updated as to whether it does.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The second I get an appointment to come in for the "repair" I'll let you guys know. Maybe I'm one of the Guinea pigs they're testing things out on?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appointment Monday to replace both. They'll be keeping it for a few days. The only strange thing is that Honda sent a new instrument panel but told them to take a head unit from one of the cars in stock :-?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Never had a problem with the satnav in my June 2018 Civic. I always set the destination and press go before moving off.

I also have most of the electronic aids in the car turned off, wonder if that's why the sat nav works with no issues.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Handed in today. So the idea is that they're installing the new instrument panel, and using a head unit from a stock car that they know has no GPS lock/wandering problems. They'll fit my headunit into that car. If that car develops a GPS problem it's the headunit, especially if mine with that car's headunit and new instrument Panel is cured. If the stock car doesn't develop a problem, then it's the instrument panel. Although, if mine isn't cured, then they're back to square one, which would be rather unlikely.

So yes I'm a Guinea pig, and they're trying to narrow the hardware problem down to one of the two. At least they're being systematic. Maybe they'll fix my rattling sunroof whilst they're at it.

Will keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts