2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how you can see the gps speed on the standard Garmin gps? I don't find any way and think it isn't possible.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Does anybody know how you can see the gps speed on the standard Garmin gps? I don't find any way and think it isn't possible.
Can't comment on the new Civic, but would be surprised if it was available. Never seen it on any other manufacturer with installed system in Europe. I suppose they don't want to be held liable for the inaccuracies with GPS. Particularly in bad reception areas which granted are rare now.

Wonder if it's available on Apple Carplay or Android auto? Probably not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can't comment on the new Civic, but would be surprised if it was available. Never seen it on any other manufacturer with installed system in Europe. I suppose they don't want to be held liable for the inaccuracies with GPS. Particularly in bad reception areas which granted are rare now.

Wonder if it's available on Apple Carplay or Android auto? Probably not.
If you use the three-finger combination, there's a GPS information page. I've not looked at it while driving, though, so I don't know if it has the current speed. On the 8G it wasn't on the first GPS page, but you had to go to a second one by holding down the menu key, so it may be similar.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can change the dashboard and add some extra's like direction (N,S,W,E), time to destination, and stuff like that, but I didn't find GPS speed. I realy want to know because I like to see what my real speed is.
It's not available in Google Maps on Android Auto, searched already.
@foddy

what do you mean by three-finger combination?

·
Registered
67 Posts
@foddy

You hold three buttons down, and it takes you into the diagnostics & configuration menu. I wasn't going to mention which buttons as it's clearly not intended for end-users and I don't want to feel responsible when someone breaks their new car.

That said, the details are in the TSB for correcting phonebook importing errors, which is a Google away, should anyone want details ...

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
You can change the dashboard and add some extra's like direction (N,S,W,E), time to destination, and stuff like that, but I didn't find GPS speed. I realy want to know because I like to see what my real speed is.
It's not available in Google Maps on Android Auto, searched already.

@foddy

Yes they have cleaned up a lot of the connectable car systems. I don't think you can view Google Maps in satellite view? A pity because it would look cool.

Can you get altitude? Find that handy on my present VAG system.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You hold three buttons down, and it takes you into the diagnostics & configuration menu. I wasn't going to mention which buttons as it's clearly not intended for end-users and I don't want to feel responsible when someone breaks their new car.

That said, the details are in the TSB for correcting phonebook importing errors, which is a Google away, should anyone want details ...
I don't want to mess things up within the diagnostics menu. If it's easy ok, but otherwise...

Can you get altitude? Find that handy on my present VAG system.
Altitude is one of the things you can see (pointless for me, I want to see speed :laugh2: )

·
Registered
67 Posts
The speedo intentionally reads faster than actual speed do give a margin of error. If you could read the GPS speed at the same time, it would be confusing - particularly as GPS variability would mean that sometimes the speed was showing lower than your actual speed. It's entirely understandable that it's not shown as standard.

My car's speedo reads about 6% faster than my phone's GPS shows me. Apart from learning what this difference is, I don't think there's much need for the GPS speed to be shown constantly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that the dial speed is lower then the gps speed, but I want to know how much exactly. Sometimes I drive on routes with speed trajectory control (SPECS if I'm right??) and I find it very handy which speed I drive exactly on that moment. It's not that I will drive constantly with the GPS speed dial on.

I think the margin of error is larger on my 10G then it was on my 8G.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know that the dial speed is lower then the gps speed, but I want to know how much exactly. Sometimes I drive on routes with speed trajectory control (SPECS if I'm right??) and I find it very handy which speed I drive exactly on that moment. It's not that I will drive constantly with the GPS speed dial on.

I think the margin of error is larger on my 10G then it was on my 8G.
Definitely worth doing - although I've only checked with a phone app while my wife was driving. For me:

8G: 9%
10G: 5-6%

I'm having to get used to driving a few mph "slower".

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, today I drove at 131km/h on CC and a mate of mine drove behind me with his Skoda Octavia with CC on 130km/h. He had to trun it of because he was constanly getting closer. So I'm pretty sure mine is not that accurate.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Honda, since the 8G at least, have always under read by some margin. My MY09 8G wasn't anywhere near as bad as my MY07, that was almost 10% out.

My 9G is fine, only 1% or 2% at most compared to my Garmin.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Honda, since the 8G at least, have always under read by some margin. My MY09 8G wasn't anywhere near as bad as my MY07, that was almost 10% out.

FYI, according to my Garmin sat-nav, at 30mph my 9G is nearly 3mph out, at 50 its 4, and at 70 nearly 5mph out.
I guess they may all be slightly different.

·
Banned
230 Posts

Over read,not under.

The Civic has got the most inaccurate (fast) speedo ive seen in years.Most manufacturers set at 2-3mph fast,not Honda............

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
My car reads 60mph when it's actually 58mph. It's a Honda.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Easy way to do see gps speed on the Honda Garmin systems is when on the Home screen (the one with big 'where to' and map icons, press and hold the signal bars on top left of screen...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts