2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, im new to the site and just want to say its great, I have been trying to find a site with info on the Civic since last November when I first test drove one, I had 7 test drives in total (2 of which were 24hr ones) I drove the EX and the ES and SE, finally went for the 1.8 SE with fog lights and parking sensors :D

Picked the car up on the 1st March but unfortunately I had nothing but problems with the car from day one and finally after eight weeks I have just been told that I can have a replacement car which should only take around 10 days so fingers crossed all will be ok with the next one!! :?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I picked mine up on 1st march, and broke down on the way back from the dealer.

Some kind of problem with the engine. Also a 1.8 SE.

I ended up getting a replacement car after 8 weeks as well.

Dodgy batch at the factory?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Welcome Topcat!

Reading gissins story makes everyone feel better about any problems they've had with theirs ;)

Hope your new one goes okay, I got my EX on Monday (see gallery) and loving it :)

Fedorov.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I've really been through the wringer with my new civic. And despite all the problems I still love the car.

Ended up with an upgrade to

17" Penta alloys
Parking Sensors
Bassworks kit
Coaxial upgrade (front)

for free.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Did the previous Civic have so many problems, in its first six on sale ?.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the faulty shocks was the main problem, I think the other problems are more "one offs"

To be honest all cars have problems, my friend had to have a new engine put in a BMW after a month :shock:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nearly all cars have problems in the early production run (say about six months to a year or so). My Hyundai Atoz had various problems both when my dad owned (from new) and when I later owned it. It was actually one of the first batch introduced so I guess that was the problem, as my dad's other Hyundai both before & after were trouble-free.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I remember my *new* Ford Fiesta, the first model that had the rounded front headlights (N reg), had only had it a few days and the clutch went at high speed - I'll never forget overhearing the two breakdown guys whispering "that's a brand new car that is..." as it got lifted onto the truck :oops:

Turns out a clutch safety recall had been issued on the new Fiesta's that SAME day as I found out the next morning having dumped it back at the dealership overnight :)

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got my Focus I was one of the first on the road (S reg 99) that car had two recalls, I think teething problems are expected on a brand new model. Its when you get the big problems (esp the dangerous ones) its a concern.

There is nothing better then driving a brand new model and being one of the first on the road - I love the fact that people stare at the Civic I dont care whether they like it or not - just the fact that it turns heads gives me a great feeling :lol:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Ahhhh loved my original focus, had traction control, the full works on it, only got the Mondeo for the extra "child space".

My Focus gave a loud whistle once you got to 70mph or above, it was only the service manager when he took it out that finally discovered it wasn't the dashboard or doors, he pressed his hand on the front windscreen with pressure and it stopped, new windscreen on a brand new Focus, was a great car after that.

New shape Mondeo (4yrs ago), gear changes were awful, even after 500-1000 miles running in would sometimes stick in the middle and I couldn't get the gear I wanted - was in and out of the dealership, many talks with Ford as well, everytime the garage took it out the gears worked perfectly (sod's law). One morning on way to work it did it so much for me I diverted to the garage and took the service manager out with me, when they saw how bad it really was I had a whole new gearbox in my new Mondeo - again great car ever since :)

If it wasn't for my wife seeing this new Civic 6 weeks ago I wouldn't have even considered changing my Mondeo. Only the Civic tempted me into changing after looking at every other car on the market.

What impresses me most is that I've still got a decent sized boot, plenty of legroom in the rear even with both our front seats almost right back, loads of legroom in the front..... and on top of all that a car which is great for the family yet gives me the "fun factor" with the interior/performance and the eye-catching exterior shape :)

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well said!! The Civic definately has bags of space and the glove box is HUGE lol

Everyone I know has been really suprised when they have seen how much interior space there is as it looks so compact on the outside, Whoever wrote the reviews on What Car saying there was no headroom and cramped rear seats must have had their eyes shut :wink:

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Topcat said:
Well said!! The Civic definately has bags of space and the glove box is HUGE lol

Everyone I know has been really suprised when they have seen how much interior space there is as it looks so compact on the outside, Whoever wrote the reviews on What Car saying there was no headroom and cramped rear seats must have had their eyes shut :wink:
I totally agree on the WhatCar? front, don't get it, everyone else gave it much better review.

On the glove box front, really surprised to see that the glove box isn't lockable, in this day and age that's essential just to slow down the opportunist tea leaf.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
The What Car review on the Civic didn't add up for me at all, but as you say they seem to be in the minority in not liking it.

The Civic was originally supposed to have a locking glove box on some models, but when Honda sent through the brochure, they including a flyer saying the locking glove box was no longer part of the spec. It's a bit of an oversight, especially with a £300 satnav disk in there! God knows how much the DVD equipment is worth!

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I wonder if they were planning to include an iPod connector originally too...

Did they run out of time? Why were these few finishing touches left out?

Even these little things would've made a difference in the everyday life of us owners. They might not be big enough to be deal breakers, but still you'd hope they had made sure to include the basics. Or what today should be standard on all cars.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Brill Forum

Just to say how good the forum is. I've read almost all of it at least once, bought the recommended 'Blue LEDs' & headlight bulbs now all I need is the car (1.8 EX) which I hope arrives when the dealer (Blackpool Honda) said it would on the 10th June. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

:lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts