2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've had my 2.2 for just over a year now and done 30k, and the car has started making a noise similar to an angle grinder in certain circumstances, in particular when cruising/coasting at approximately 30mph and when taking right turns. If I apply the brakes the noise goes but persists if I accelerate.

Looking at the pads there seems to be about 3-5mm of pad material all round that I can see. Is this the auidble warning that the manual speaks about or is it likely to be a stone stuck somewhere?

Hopefully I'll have time to drop it in a garage in the week but it's time. A colleague of mine with a 1.8 civic said he had something similar but his was a constant noise and was just some grit trapped around the pads. Any advice?

·
Registered
35 Posts
driving today locally when i heard a grinding scraping i dabbed the brakes & it sounded worse. i popped in to my honda dealer who had a check & said the pads on the front was 100% worn & rear was 75% worn. my civic is a dec 57 plate & only covered 17k miles very dissapointed to have to replace all pads. they also told me my 2 front tyres was illegal as they are worn. the car is not driven hard has my wife does most of the mileage. is this the average mileage of pads to be replaced ????

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that does seem really low. I know i've come fromt hot hatches/quick cars and never been a heavy braker but it is quick to get through pads like that, or theyre just a wooden compound. with mine being a desiel/heavier im not so surprised but 30k to me is unusual so 17k really is bad. my front tyres are due their first replacement, however the car has done alot of motorway miles so they have lasted quite well

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
30k is good 17k is good, I got barely 9 in mine!

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Why is there no wear indicator light built into the dash ?? Why construct a pad that only tells you it needs replacing once it starts making the horrible grating noise so that you hate driving the car till you can get it looked at ???

Other manufacturers build contact wires into their pads so that when the pads wear down, the wire makes contact with the disc and completes a basic electrical circuit and thus lights up a warning on your dash !!!!

We have a fancy blackpool illumination dash that fails to perform a simple function !!!! Come on Honda it cant be that hard !!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts