2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other week jus before joinin the motorway i was coming too a junctions after coming off the dual carriage and applied the brakes and at the back off the car came a horrible grinding noise which s**t me up a bit!!!! Pulled over before joining the motorway check the rear tyres and they were fine and checked the brake pads and they seem ok bit hot when i touched the disc (burned my finger in the process :-( ) and theres nothing wrong!!

But now when i drive and press the brakes and the noise comes and goes somtimes ive booked it in with Honda this monday coming since ive only got 8 days left on the 3 yr warranty and they said it could be the brake pads but they are very happy too have a look at it on the ramp.

Il try my best too get a front clip for my front bumper where the bodykit joined on some idoit in the car park reversed into it and the arch bit has popped out and took a bit off the paint away too!!! i swaer some people cant drive!!!!![smilie=hate.gif]

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Honda might be right - when the brake pads wear low there is piece of guide metal which contacts the disc and deliberately causes a squeal to inform the driver the pads need changing, so it could just be that.

Reactions: deepster2020

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
Honda might be right - when the brake pads wear low there is piece of guide metal which contacts the disc and deliberately causes a squeal to inform the driver the pads need changing, so it could just be that.
never knew that... if its scraping wont it dammage the disc surface??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks matey. Ive checked it out and theres nothing there!! Il get the guys at honda too check it out!! No warning lights have flashed on the dash either bit it sounds very horrible and the looks i go the other day i was ashamed!! :-( nice car but NOT sounding very health when it came too braking!! i mainly use my car for motorway than locally

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive noticed that around the edges off the disc there is rust is that normal too??? I havent mentioned it too Honda just yet but will do on monday when i take it in too them. Im jus worried when the guy takes it for a test drive and says theres nothing wrong but i can hear but i know for a fact its there depending how much pressure u apply!! Jus gonna have too see what the guys at Honda say!!!

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
never knew that... if its scraping wont it dammage the disc surface??
I can't find you a picture just yet, all the google images seem to be pads for other cars but yeah I wondered what this piece of guide metal was when I changed my own pads for EBC green stuff. Its only on one of the pads in a pair.

It shouldn't damage the disc its only a thin strip of soft metal designed to make a noise on contact but it should definately be checked out :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Laney its not even a squeaking noise more off a grinding (like a machinary noise) noise and its loud surprised people dont cover their ears!! lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ive noticed that around the edges off the disc there is rust is that normal too??? I havent mentioned it too Honda just yet but will do on monday when i take it in too them. Im jus worried when the guy takes it for a test drive and says theres nothing wrong but i can hear but i know for a fact its there depending how much pressure u apply!! Jus gonna have too see what the guys at Honda say!!!
Its quite normal for the edge of the disc to be rusty as rust preventers would burn off due to the heat from braking. Even new disc rust in a few weeks and it gets deeper with age, nothing to worry about. The pads keep the surface clean and remove any surface rust caused by rain or cleaning the car.

I agree with Laney's remarks about the wear indicator not damaging the disc surface.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Laney its not even a squeaking noise more off a grinding (like a machinary noise) noise and its loud surprised people dont cover their ears!! lol
Not sure when you're book into Honda for but if it were me and I was getting nervous about it I'd get to a garage sharpish! :police: even to Kwik fit where they can give you a quick assessment for free even if you aren't going to have them do the work.

P.S. rust around the edges of the disc are pretty normal, nothing to worry about, discs are just made of untreated steel normally

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
I can't find you a picture just yet, all the google images seem to be pads for other cars but yeah I wondered what this piece of guide metal was when I changed my own pads for EBC green stuff. Its only on one of the pads in a pair.

It shouldn't damage the disc its only a thin strip of soft metal designed to make a noise on contact but it should definately be checked out :)
dont worry about pictures mate ... you word is your bond ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for that laney u have be very helpful put my mind at easy. I dont know why myself probably coz the Honda garage is closer than my local Kwik Fit or any other garages!!! and make USE off my last 8 days off the 3 yr warranty

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Yeah definately, makes sense to get it to Honda especially if you have 8 days of warranty left. If it does turn out to be a pad change then they'd probably get you to pay for them as they are consumables and not warranty items, either way better to be safe then sorry eh ;) hope it goes alright for you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers man i hope so if it turns out too be da pads il jus say thanks for ** time and checking them il get them replaced by myself through family member :D happy days!! At least i can relax now and get on with my work taking calls from abusive customers!! lol once again thank u guys for ** info :-D

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Cheers man i hope so if it turns out too be da pads il jus say thanks for ** time and checking them il get them replaced by myself through family member :D happy days!! At least i can relax now and get on with my work taking calls from abusive customers!! lol once again thank u guys for ** info :-D

Would like to hear what Honda say as I have exactly the same noise you secribe, coming from my drivers rear side. It comes and goes, had it to Kwik Fit who said nothing was wrong but want a second opinion as the noise isn't normal at all.

Awaiting your feedback. Cheers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Stevey P7 ive manged too get the rear wheel looked at too find out what this HORRIBLE (ear aching) noise was and i noticed that the rear disc is sctrached up big time compaired too the other 3 and also noticed that there was copper like bits on the alloy too which looked s**t *** orange marks on my alloy will have too JET WASH that !! any way hondas verdict was::

Took the car this morning about 8:45am and then dropped it off too honda and said give me a call before 12 too let me know what the outcome (damage) is, thats fine sir.

Half an hour later got a phone call "Honda Garage" saying "Sir got some bad news ** brake pad for the rear right has completely worn out, coz its worn out that much ** disc is knackered too and that would need replacing too!" What would u like us too do? Would u like us too go AHEAD and replace them?? (ME) How much will it cost?? (Honda Garage) £275 for replacing including fitting and VAT!! (ME) ha ha ha no thanks MATE ill jus have the car keys back in 10 mins and il get someone else too do them!" (Honda Garage) Sir ive got too advice u that u wont be able too drive the car!! (me) yeh whatever mate!!!

Went too my local Garage and he had a look at them and said the same BUT he said it will cost me £140 fitted and VAT (Brakes and Disc rear!!!!) i told him how much honda were charging he fell on the floor!!!

bit off a long type up jus bored at work and hope that has put ** mind a bit at rest Stevey p7??

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi mate ,

I had this problem on the back right drivers side wheel. It was due to the brake pad wear and it was scraping the disc.

I ended up getting new red stuff pads from ebc and two new rear dics from ebc also to replace what was already on the car.

The cost was around £180 for the parts and had a local place fit for me for £40.00.

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Cheers Deepster. Might just take it back to Kwik fit and try to get them to hear the noise. They seemed to try and make me look daft last time and brush off any hint of a problem with the disc or pad.

Thanks for the feedback ;-)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No worries mate i was in the same boat thinking if they take it out they WONT be able too hear it but on friday jus gone i finished work and got too the first set off lights and the noise was horrible so if when u pulled off from stand still it was noisy as hell!! they whole rear disc was damaged! il have too put a picture up when i get the chance not off my sh***y iphone!!! let mickstery said its an excuse too get them changed too EBC stuff im getting the yellow ones now and then next month getting the fronts done!

Try applying the brakes a bit differently too how u normally drive i.e apply the brakes hard then ease off thats what i did and u will get the noise guaranteed!!!

The Honda guy said it was PURE metal and metal rubbing!! Got my local guy too do it for about £35.00 and il supply him the part and get my MOT done at the same time EBC are offerring 15% discount i think still so its worth getting the parts now with the discount :) happy days

1 - 20 of 20 Posts