2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I turn the steering wheel left or right, I hear a griding noise. I have recorded it and uploaded to YouTube:

Click here for video

I've read it could be the strut, bearings falling out or a damaged rubber seal causing lubricants to leak out. If anyone knows exactly what this could be please let me know.

·
i-Vtec
4,727 Posts
Yea sounds like bearings. Its certainly where id start. If you pop the top covers off above them, under the bonnet, spray a decent bit of WD40 into the top mount area see if that helps. Could be the top mount too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds a fair bit louder but similar to my current issue, funnily enough. Only hear it when stationary or at sub 5mph atm, coming from O/S only.
Replaced my front suspension two weeks back (Shocks, Springs, Bump Stops, Bearings and Top Mount along with Droplinks), replaced my Tie Rod Ends Saturday just gone, and I only heard the noise after I had the alignment done on Sunday, oddly enough.
Squirted some Lithium Grease into the bump stop to see if that was the issue (sounds like something rubber-ish gripping onto something, more than grinding as such) but no dice.

Going to have a better look at it on Saturday, I'll let you know my findings but for now, give what Das said a crack. Most people have solved similar issues by lubing the bearings/top mounts/bump stops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sent it to a mechanic due to couldn't be bothered to invest more money into proper raising equipment to get the car up. It was just a lubrication issue. A cap had to be opened to put some lubrication into the area and then close it again. Same was done for both wheels at the same time. Fixed the grinding noise immediately. Took less than 30 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts