2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It never happened before, but in the past few weeks, there has been a grinding sound when I try to switch into second (I press the clutch all the way down, still happens, though rarely, hurts my heart everytime). I let off the clutch and try again and it goes into second.

So I found some youtube vids where they tighten the clutch pedal so 2 or 3 threads of the screw on the clutch pedal show underneath some bar, but when I looked at it, my clutch was already tightened and had white lubricant in the area. I guess the last owner had the same problem and tightened it (bought the car around 18 months ago).

Anyway, what is this problem? I'm guessing the clutch assembly needs replacement. Do I just need a new clutch kit? Is that the problem? Could it be the CMC, slave cylinder or gearbox? The car accelerates well with the rpms but the clutch pedal is spongy (the clutch reservoir is filled to max).

Edit: Sometimes I get locked out of first gear too, but other gears shift like a dream.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When was the clutch fluid last changed?
Cheap way to see if it is something more serious.
I actually have no idea. I suppose I'll take the car to my mechanic and get clutch fluid changed. Brake fluid was low today (was changed around 2 years ago, last buyer gave me the receipt, but I suspect it's from pad wear, so it's been topped up). Clutch fluid is dark brown, looks like normal fluid, not sludgy or anything.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Clutch fluid should be nice golden colour life fresh brake fluid.
If it looks like Newcastle Brown defo a change is needed to rule it out - even Honda dealers only change £35 to do it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If you mean biting point, it's fairly low, maybe 2-4cm off the bottom. It goes pretty high up before disengagement, there is about 3cm travel left at the top.

I changed the gearbox oil last year and have just changed the clutch fluid now. The shift pedal has a bit more resistance now. Maybe this fixed it; I'll drive around for now and see how it goes. Also, the liquid looked dark brown, but at the bottom of the reservoir, it was basically sludge so yeah ...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've driven around 40 miles with fresh fluid now. Haven't had a problem with my first gear yet or the second gear grind but it still feels like the problem is there; when I try to shift up to second gear, the stick sometimes gets stuck before it goes in (as it did before). It's erratic and I've got no idea what the problem is. Gearbox / clutch / linkage?

A mechanic told me it's probably the clutch but the car accelerates normally with the rpms.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2-4cm seems low to me, mine was like that as someone had wound the clutch pedal down to help stop the squeak from the pedal.
Mine doesn't squeak but the last owner of mine also had the pedal brought down. To bring it up, you just loosen the pedal nut and bring the metal rod down a bit before tightening the nut again, right?

The previous owner of my car never had the gear box oil changed and as a result i had to have my gear box refurbished
The last owner defintely changed the oil in mine. Didn't look too bad when I had it changed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Unfortunately sounds like you are heading for a new clutch now you've tried all our suggestions.
I see... I'll use this clutch till the bad shifts start happening on a regular basis then.

Would you guys recommend that I change the flywheel at the same time as the clutch?

·
i-Vtec
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update: I was moving the shifter around with the ignition off (stepping on clutch didn't make a diffference) and the car sometimes gets locked out of 5th gear (it should go into every gear while it's off right?). I managed to get it into 5th after a while, without moving the car, turning ignition or depressing clutch so it's pretty random. When I start the car, it still stays locked out. When the shifter gets stuck, it's always when it's halfway into the gear.

Took it to a few mechanics. One thinks it's the pressure plate springs. Another thinks it's either the clutch too, or gearbox/gearbox linkage. You guys have any idea based off this description? I figured it could only the gearbox/linkage since the lockout happens whether or not I press in the clutch but now I'm not sure...

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Could be the linkage cables like you say or the bushes on the ends.
Not an easy one to say for sure.
Have you tried lifting the trim round the gear lever and seeing if the lube grease in the bushes has dried out?
Very simple job to remove.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just went for a hot motorway run and pulled up to go through the gears. Usually moved fine but it'd sometimes lock out random gears (usually 1st, 2nd, reverse). Turning the ignition didn't make a difference, and I'd hold the shifter into the gear as far as I could but when it was locked out, it'd unlock as soon as I pressed the clutch.
Strange thing is, when it locked out of 5th gear with the mechanic, he was pressing the clutch and it just stayed locked out...

So the problem is related to the clutch for sure, but does this sound like a hydraulic part causing the problem?

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
by locking out
if you mean getting stuck in gear id be more likely to think its a selector problem rather than the clutch
with engine off you should be able to rock car and switch between gears without clutch if its stuck with engine off id suspect something in gear box
I had similar thing on my old 1990 civic it was a bearing in the gearbox
it would get stuck between 1st and 2nd

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
by locking out
if you mean getting stuck in gear id be more likely to think its a selector problem rather than the clutch
with engine off you should be able to rock car and switch between gears without clutch if its stuck with engine off id suspect something in gear box
I had similar thing on my old 1990 civic it was a bearing in the gearbox
it would get stuck between 1st and 2nd
Not quite. It can go back into neutral with no problems. It just goes halfway into the gear before it gets locked out. Pressing the clutch "releases" the lock and lets the gear go all the way in.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts