2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of light scratches caused, I think, by someone deliberately making an X on the front of the bonnet. I tried various polishes and t-cut type creams all with little, or no, success:( . Then I found an old bottle of 'Finesse-it, ref 09639' made by 3M. It's a 'Finishing Material'. One application and the scratches disappeared before my eyes:D .

I said it was an old bottle as the 'use by' date was November 2002! But it worked a treat.

I don't know whether it's still available, but I got mine years ago from a body/paint workshop place after I'd seen it used on a car bonnet that was badly marked (looked like steel wool had been rubbed across it).

Anyone else tried this product:?:

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Seems to still be available Allan. The UK 3M website includes it within its range of finishing materials. I've found prices for the marine version but not the automotive product. Still, it sounds like a good option for this type of problem!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had a couple of light scratches caused, I think, by someone deliberately making an X on the front of the bonnet. I tried various polishes and t-cut type creams all with little, or no, success:( . Then I found an old bottle of 'Finesse-it, ref 09639' made by 3M. It's a 'Finishing Material'. One application and the scratches disappeared before my eyes:D .

I said it was an old bottle as the 'use by' date was November 2002! But it worked a treat.

I don't know whether it's still available, but I got mine years ago from a body/paint workshop place after I'd seen it used on a car bonnet that was badly marked (looked like steel wool had been rubbed across it).

Anyone else tried this product:?:
As you said it's more of a body shop type of product.
Here is a chart of the abrasiveness of various brands of products, i would guess you are trying to use it by hand? , if so you will struggle to get enough heat / pressure to break down the polish. Also don't use it too often as it is has enough cut to remove a fair bit of clearcoat on your Civic as the paint is very soft unlike your Mini. And there is also a chance you may inflict holograms on to the panel.
I currently use the Meg's #83 and #80 or the Sonus SFX1, 2 and 3. But on the civic i have never gone higher than the SFX 2.
Hope this helps

http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/detailing/productchart.htm

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's, I'll save it for special occasions when I'll use it as a 'last resort'.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts