2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little bit annoyed... Bought a gp front splitter in the group but a month or so ago, and spent 6 hours on Saturday wrapping the black part in carbon wrap and putting it back on the car!

Last night I was trying to leave Watford and one of the roads was closed for roadworks and there were no diversion signs, so I pulled into a side road and looked at the map to find another route out!

As I did a 3 point turn to get out of the road I drove towards a dropped kerb and the front of the splitter grounded out and scraped... Seems the kerb was steeper than I thought, the camber on the road was ludicrous, and there was a step from the road to the kerb... All of which I didn't really notice since it was dark!

I know it'll probably get me nowhere but I'm going to stick a claim into the council for the damage, but does anyone know of any regulations governing the height/angles of dropped kerbs etc? Surely there must be some rules for these... Of I lived there I wouldn't be able to get into my own drive!!

Matt

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Doubt you'll get anything as its not the councils fault you drove into a solid, still, non moving object :lol: take it on the chin and get it sprayed yourself. Save the council some paper saying no.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
A bit like a pothole then eh... Plenty of people make claims for those!
But it's the councils responsibility to keep roads up-to par as we pay tax.

It'd be the equivalent of driving into a bollard and saying "There was no sign there, how was I supposed to know it was there?"

Unfortunately, they're not going to accept liability for this.

·
Premium Member
19,185 Posts
I think it's a long shot claiming compesnsation from the council, but good luck trying.

In the meantime, I would simply try and solve the problem yourself. Bad luck with hitting the kerb, though:-(

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
A bit like a pothole then eh... Plenty of people make claims for those!
Feel for you mate, but I have to agree with the chaps above. A pothole is a defect in the road which the council is payed to upkeep......a kerb is meant to be there.

Let me know how you get on. As I dented an alloy on a pot hole and it cost me a repair and wheel alignment
The council are liable for that. Get in contact with them armed with when, where, and how much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feel for you mate, but I have to agree with the chaps above. A pothole is a defect in the road which the council is payed to upkeep......a kerb is meant to be there.

The council are liable for that. Get in contact with them armed with when, where, and how much.
Just in case it wasn't noticed... This was a dropped kerb! Thanks for the kind words anyhow! As I said, it'll probably get me nowhere but it's worth trying, and at the very least it notifies them that there is a problem there!

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.