2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’ve managed to pick up a second hand Gruppe M for my FN2 and after reading some instructions and posts I have a few questions. If anyone could help, I’d appreciate it.

What sort of double sided tape do I need to stick it to the underside of the bonnet? Is it padded/Foam?

I see the Maff sensor goes underneath the intake feed, does it need to be a specific way around?

Until I get a remap, is it advisable to use it and will the ecu recalculate fuel/air mix so the car doesn’t run lean and burn the valve seats out?

If anyone could post any close up pics of there install such as Maff, airbox bracket and sound proofing cur line I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks
Dave

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Be there in a bit Dave, off to download some pics :smile3:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
I actually took the bonnet sound deadening out and made a sausage out of pipe insulation and some 3M tape to block the side gap.
The maf sensor goes in upside down and yes it only fits one way, the bracket attaches to the battery clamp strut thread (bottom right of pic three). I took the scuttle panel and heatshield off so you can check the scoop lines up with the airbox "mouth". The scoop fitting is obvious, I used double sided foam number plate tape off ebay, very strong bond and gives a bit of flex. You use it on all edges that press flat against the bonnet.
The rubber weather strip at the bonnet lip needs to be unpicked and removed. The instructions suggest cutting out the bit in front of the scoop but I removed all of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually took the bonnet sound deadening out and made a sausage out of pipe insulation and some 3M tape to block the side gap.
The maf sensor goes in upside down and yes it only fits one way, the bracket attaches to the battery clamp strut thread (bottom right of pic three). I took the scuttle panel and heatshield off so you can check the scoop lines up with the airbox "mouth". The scoop fitting is obvious, I used double sided foam number plate tape off ebay, very strong bond and gives a bit of flex. You use it on all edges that press flat against the bonnet.
The rubber weather strip at the bonnet lip needs to be unpicked and removed. The instructions suggest cutting out the bit in front of the scoop but I removed all of it.

@flashy superb mate, massive help. Thanks. And I have to say, my type of installation with the Strongbow lol 👍
Like the idea with blocking the edge off, I did read about getting leaks if fitted as per Gruppe M instructions.

Cheers mate.

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
You're welcome mate. A couple of obvious things, don't overtighten bolts to the carbon fibre and if you remove the heatshield you'll need a longish extension bar, I did it with a magnetic reach tool alongside as I didn't fancy dropping the bolts into the back of the engine bay.
The airbox reuses the oem airbox rubber bits to sit on. You'll know what I mean when you take the airbox out.
The maf can be put on the top but it rubbed slightly on the scoop.
Oh, I bought some slightly longer maf screws as the oem struggled to reach the supplied maf plate

It was a nice Saturday afternoon so the cider went down well :laugh2:

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
3m double-sided foam tape works a treat. MAF goes underneath.

Will be fine untuned, these don't tend to give flat spots either.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're welcome mate. A couple of obvious things, don't overtighten bolts to the carbon fibre and if you remove the heatshield you'll need a longish extension bar, I did it with a magnetic reach tool alongside as I didn't fancy dropping the bolts into the back of the engine bay.
The airbox reuses the oem airbox rubber bits to sit on. You'll know what I mean when you take the airbox out.
The maf can be put on the top but it rubbed slightly on the scoop.
Oh, I bought some slightly longer maf screws as the oem struggled to reach the supplied maf plate

It was a nice Saturday afternoon so the cider went down well :laugh2:
Cheers Flashy, more than helpful. Cheers. Much appreciated.

Thanks mate, good to hear. Cheers

Looking forward to getting it, can’t beat a good bit of purposeful carbon fibre >:)

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Cheers
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

@musegroove , @flashy, What would be the best width doublesided tape to buy, would 15mm be OK or do I need wider?

Cheers
Dave

·
4,275 Posts
15mm worked for me when I had one

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
15mm will be fine, there's some narrow bits that you need to stick. The wider bits you can double up.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
15mm worked for me when I had one
15mm will be fine, there's some narrow bits that you need to stick. The wider bits you can double up.
Not sure I should ask this question :-/ But why did you remove yours??

Nice one, thanks again chaps.

Cheers
Dave

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Free up some cash. Good kit, liked mine but you have to keep an eye on it and make sure it's sat in place well.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I would cut as little of the weather rubber strip as you can get away with.
It does a great job of stopping water and dirt getting into the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I've got one fitted on mine, also made a sausage to block off the edge of the scoop instead of the sound proofing as it was naff. just binned the whole thing!

Just make sure to disconnect your battery for a little while to reset your ECU. After around 25 miles driving you should be feeling the difference with having the gruppe M fitted. It's a nice bit of kit and defo makes a difference!

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
Never had an issue. You have to cut nearly half of it anyway, but yes probably worth keeping in what you can

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
My engine bay was never very clean so I probably didn't notice :laugh2:
Let a bit more air in to cool the bay.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice, been pondering on that one and wondered if it would also help channel the airflow to the duct. cheers

I've got one fitted on mine, also made a sausage to block off the edge of the scoop instead of the sound proofing as it was naff. just binned the whole thing!

Just make sure to disconnect your battery for a little while to reset your ECU. After around 25 miles driving you should be feeling the difference with having the gruppe M fitted. It's a nice bit of kit and defo makes a difference!
Thanks for the advice on the ECU, I will be looking at the sausage to block off any leaks so it's true ram air. Glad you had a good experience with it, cheers

My engine bay was never very clean so I probably didn't notice :laugh2:
Let a bit more air in to cool the bay.
Not sure I'll cope with a dirty engine bay as it's pretty clean atm, Gruppe M is supposed to be very good for eliminating heat soak so my OCD is saying leave as much in as possible lol.

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming if you think of anything else that will help.

Cheers
Dave

·
4,275 Posts
Sold mine from TDi's advice as I was starting to reach its limits with plans for cams etc

Tidy piece of kit tbh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts