2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is something many people have trouble finding, and it's something I tackled myself with the cobbling together of information here and elsewhere on the net.
This guide is the same method as used on my 2016 / 17 Production 9th Gen Civic, SE+ Navi. I believe some more recent models (CRV / 10G) may not work with this method, as they come pre patched as factory default.

1. Resetting To Default
The first step is to reset the head unit to defaults. This removes later head unit updates that prevent circumvention of the application install lockouts, preventing the install of custom APK's.
To do this, use the android settings menu and "Reset to factory defaults"

BEWARE - YOU WILL LOSE DATA IN THIS STEP; SETTINGS, DEFAULTS, TRIP HISTORY, NAV ETC.

1b. Enabling installs from unrecognised sources
Once you have completed the factory reset, you must return to the android settings:
Android Settings > Security > Unknown Sources (Set to allow)​

2. Choosing & Installing applications
For tried and tested APK's, you can use CMdroid to source a wide variety of APKs. Hover over apps for a description; For English descriptions use the Google translate drop down in the footer.
Note: It is essential that you install PERMISSIONS 1.1 S_Mike (This is an APK Download link) This will enable you to use apps whilst moving etc.

Relevant translated PDF's, Taken from CMdroid have been attached.

In my opinion, The best method to use is to first copy FileCommander (This is an APK Download link) to the root of your USB Flash drive, and then copy the various other applications, Including Honda Permissions to appropriately named folders inside the USB drive.
By doing so, You can use FileCommander to quickly navigate the folder tree and install your applications one after the other, without the download / delete faffing that is suggested in the guide.

NOTE: It is important that you retain the name HondaAppCenter_A1.apk - You cannot place any of these APK's in the same folder, or they will have to be renamed, and will not be installable.
3. Setting Application Permissions
Once you have chosen your applications, you can use the "Honda Permissions App", Linked in section 2, to allow them to be used whilst moving, and control audio output.

Relevant process names for permission settings can be found here, or in the handy .txt that you can print attached.

-Process- (This must be completed for each app needing permissions)

A. Open the Honda permissions app, and on the top left, select application permissions.

B. Use the + in the top right to add a permission set.

C. Enter your Process & Package name - These are listed in the .txt and The APK description on CMdroid. The Process & Package name will be the same. ENSURE THIS IS SPELLED CORRECTLY.

D. Select the requisite permissions for each app. To view recommendations, and see the effects of each permission see the attached file or the post below.

E. Save the permissions, and test the app permissions next time you are moving.​

With the completion of the three steps, you will have the apps that you need installed. Provided you do not run the Honda app centre update, you will be able to install any more apps as desired. Once updated, however, the only recourse is a factory reset, so you will have to start afresh.

I hope to add some more pictures to this guide in the future; If you have any specific questions please let me know.
If you would like a copy of the Sygic APK, with current UK maps (2017), send me a message and I may be able to direct you.

Hopefully this is of use, as all the steps are at last in one place. :grin2:

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
D. Select the requisite permissions for each app. To view recommendation, and see the effects of each permission see the attached file
As the attachments turned out ant sized, Here's a zoomed copy of the suggested permissions here:

Permissions have the following effect:

Soundout
Allows exclusive audio output:- Gives primary audio output to "A.App"
Other sources (E.g DAB, USB) will automatically be shut off with the opening of the app.​

SoundInterrupt
Allows notifications to be passed without taking control of the Audio.
This will allow music to play from DAB, USB etc. Whilst the app is in operation.
For use with GPS & Speed camera notifications.

Only outputs sound to driver side speaker, as with stock GPS.​

SoundInterruptMute
This works in conjunction with Soundinterrupt:- This will mute output to the driver side speaker whilst the notification is played.

Best for use with voice directed GPS.​

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
not getting any luck on this! but i think thats more to do with my head unit. it doesnt want to show the apk files. will do a google search and try to perservere
Have you put them onto a USB stick? If so, they need to be in the root directory, no folders - As in my reccomended method, I suggest you put the FileCommander APK in the root directory, then other apps in the correctly named sub folder.

To avoid any issues with the USB media, ensure it is less than 32GB and Formatted as FAT32, Otherwise there can be issues getting it to read in my experience.

Let me know how you get on :grin2:

--Edit

NOTE: To be clear, use the "Install app" Button in the second level menu to get your apps installed. Make sure you have Unknown sources selected in settings, or it won't allow you to install.

To be sure the USB is reading correctly, you can put some music in a sub folder; The headunit will still read / play it as normal if the USB is formatted correctly for reading :- If you hear the music, You'll be able to find your APK.

Registered
Hi, yea i've followed the instructions but my unit is an aftermarket stereo and not a stock unit. it doesn't give the option of allowing unknown sources which sucks. i suspect this is because it isnt an android unit hence its unavailable.

As a result none of the files appear. sucks to be me right now haha

The stereo i am using is a "KENWOOD DMX7017DABS" for reference.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, yea i've followed the instructions but my unit is an aftermarket stereo and not a stock unit. it doesn't give the option of allowing unknown sources which sucks. i suspect this is because it isnt an android unit hence its unavailable.

As a result none of the files appear. sucks to be me right now haha

The stereo i am using is a "KENWOOD DMX7017DABS" for reference.
Ah, That will be it then :p

You're only able to install .APK's on android, It seems the kenwood is pretty locked down based on a quick search.

Your best hope is to use Carplay / Android auto, or see if there is some other way to "project" your phone screen onto the head unit. Other than that, A nice cheap Chinese Android is what you are after :p

Premium Member
Hi,

Just to be 100% sure.
Is this a method to install other (non Honda approved) android compatible apps on the Honda head unit?

In particular I'm interested in installing Co Pilot GPS, sat nav software. Not only do I think it's probably better than Garmin, but I also have a lifetime subscription, which includes European maps. I've not used the Garmin software yet, so I might be wrong about it's usability and lack of European maps. I pick up the car next week, weather permitting...

Also, if this method doesn't work for me, does anyone know if Mirrorcast will allow me to use Co Pilot from my Windows 10 phone?

Thanks,
Bill

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
Just to be 100% sure.
Is this a method to install other (non Honda approved) android compatible apps on the Honda head unit?
Yes, This will install any APKS that you can think of, with those from CMDroid above being tested and known working with the head unit.
Should work fine assuming you are getting a 9th Gen, Not sure if it will work with a 10th Gen as they will come with newer software from the factory.

I've not used it personally on the head unit to my memory, but If it is on CMDroid it should work fine, though they may only have older versions (due to the old android version in use on the head unit)

Personally, I've found the Garmin to give questionable routing in the past (Taking off motorway to instantly rejoin etc), so I imagine it would be an improvement, if not, Sygic and waze work quite well with global maps available for both.

I've used the head unit with windows phone, but I've not had any luck with mirror cast - Haven't really explored the functionality offered by android auto, mirrorlink etc - If it is HDMI Connected, You probably won't be able to use it whilst moving due to the hardware lockouts, but let us know how it goes.

Premium Member
That's good news, thanks. It is Gen9.

So create a google account (I deleted mine years ago), grab the Copilot software from google play on my Windows 10 tablet, then how do I move the APK to a USB stick? (sorry, just re-read the op and your post. So the apk's on CM droid have been tested, but I can use any from google play?)

I forget sorry, used to be up on rooting, etc but I've had no need since moving to the Windows environment.

Once the apk is on the USB drive then follow the op?

PS: I'm assuming that I can then log in to my Copilot account from the head unit, as well as update maps, in the future? (I'm assuming there is enough rom on the head unit to install offline maps?)

Thanks

Registered
Just wanna say a massive thanks to Haltamer for posting this how to guide. Installed Google Maps for sat nav and it works a treat. It's not as smooth as the phone but its a huge improvement over using the phone for sat nav. Just a couple of questions: if I download Google Maps with the apk file from other websites, will it just install providing I rename the file to HondaAppCenter_A1.apk or are the cmdroid apks modified for the Honda unit; also and got the car about 5 weeks ago so I don't know how to find out which version of RC I have- thinking of getting the dealer to update whilst it's still under warranty. Would the latest version of RC prevent it from working.

I did notice a small issue. It was working fine going to work this morning but this evening on the return journey, the GPS was struggling to get a signal at all, so I wasn't able to use it on the way back. When I got back I had to go in to the Android Settings menu and disable/ re-enable GPS. Maybe a later RC may help.

Thanks in advance.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope to please :D

If you do update to the latest RC, You will lose your apps, and it's a bit more complex gaining acess again - You need to connect to a USB Debugging port behind the unit, and use a connected laptop to root the unit - That said, I imagine it would resolve your GPS Issue.

For the time being, anything names HondaAppCenter_A1.apk will install provided it works on android 4.0.4 (IIRC), so go wild :p Anything on CMDroid is known to work reasonably though.

Registered
is the link to the permissions tool gone as it just goes to the cmdroid main page?
its ok i found this

Also how do i know what rc version my head unit on and up to what rc version can you install unauthorized apk files?

and is there anyway to add a google account as most apps use this for your settings
everytime i try to sign in on googlemaps,chrome or youtube it hangs or does nothing
can we get a ggogle account option on the android 4.0.4 settings?

UPDATE: managed to find google account manager compatable with 4.04 android
it works i just cant connect to the google servers,always get unable to connect to google servers try again later message when trying to login to an exisisting account or creating a new one, i have given the process the correct permissions, as if it was a web browser(also tried combinations of everything)do the older acount managers connect to the google servers?Has anybody gotten this to work?

thanks

Registered
When I try and install anything it shows the .apk on the head unit but the install button is greyed out and it won't let me proceed any further.
The file was downloaded from that CMdroid website as above, can't even get that Honda permissions app to install. I've got the box ticked to allow unknown sources installation.

Registered
Since a couple of weeks I can't use google maps for navigation on the Honda Connect anymore. It worked perfectly for 2 years, but now, whenever I start the navigation route google maps is terminated. Google maps itself is loading and showing all map data and traffic and also gives search results. But after pressing the "navigate" button it suspends with a message like "maps was terminated".
Did someone else experience this?

Registered
I have a the exactly the same issue and it also started maybe 2/3 weeks ago. My next step would be to do a factory reset, when I get time, and reinstall the software. Have you tried a factory reset yet? I have tried Sygic Car Navigation as an alternative but this is nowhere as good as Google Maps

1 - 20 of 83 Posts