2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Well, my journey began in 2007 when I wanted to buy the Accord CL but on showroom I saw an Executive Civic with panoramic roof and changed my mind. Bought the 5D version, of course with panoramic roof :). At that time I wanted so much two things on my car : 2.0 petrol engine and Deep Bronze Pearl color. None of them where possible so I chose 1.8 petrol engine and Nighthawk Black Pearl color.

After 6 years I found my car scratched all over so that was the point where mods started. I found for sale a GP kit (which are very rare in Romania) and all Type R parts needed for an exterior conversion and wanted to paint the car, finally, in Deep Bronze Pearl. After several weeks of searches I stopped to another color from Audi Exclusive palette : Audi Ipanema Brown. So, one of two things where sorted.

One year later I found a guy with a Civic Type R which burned smoldering in garage. It wasn’t the car fault but an electrical outlet. The interior was melted but rest of the car was fine (engine, mechanical and electrical parts etc). So, bought the car and then oscillated between putting the 2.0 petrol engine on my car or to rebuild that Type R. After some days of debate and some maths I chose to continue my project and put the K20Z4 engine (and everything else needed for this swap) on my car.

The previous owner of Type R didn’t take care of the car so i had to :

- new clutch - bought OEM one
- rebuild gearbox : all synchros, 1st and 2nd gear replaced, and all bearings
- replaced all discs and pads, and rebuild the brake system
- replaced spark plugs
- a lower suspension arm replaced

Then the car has been individual homologated on Romanian Auto Register so it is 100% road legal (first time failed because of lambda O2 sensor which has been replaced, also the MAF sensor).

So, after 7 years and a half my dream come true and I had the First (and I hope the only one) Civic Type R 5D, 8th gen :)… even before Honda one :)).

I have to say that Civinfo was so helpful these years (and still is) for every step made in this project. That’s why… BIG THANK TO ALL OF YOU GUYS !!!!

Mods till now :

- Type R K20Z4 Engine Swap + all mechanical and electrical parts
- Mugen Air Intake
- Tegiwa Manifold
- Custom Kline Innovation Catback (dual exit)
- Hondata Flashpro - 190,66 WHP (at the hub) aprox 225 BHP
- Type R exterior - GP Kit
- 18” Type R Alloys
- Eibach 15mm Front / 20mm Back
- Audi Ipanema Brown color
- 2 DIN - Pioneer AVH X8500BT
- Reverse Camera

Next plans :

- Honda Accord CU Electric Front Seats - bought, adapted, need a full interior re-upholstery
- KW V2 coilover
- Wavetrac LSD
-…. maybe Turbo :D

So, let the pictures to speak themselves and feel free to ask anything about this project.
Enjoy :).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next, pictures with the Type R I bought.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And finally, the conversion and mods :).

Attachments

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
That was one sad looking K20, glad it's gone to a good home!

Car looks amazing mate, lovely colour, panoramic roof and 5D, lush :)

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Top work. Not seen a k20z go into a 5door

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Farqui

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you.

Guys I have a question regarding Tegiwa exhaust manifold. When decelerating or in high revs I have a buzzy sound like a heat shield but it isn't a heat shield, i already checked that.
The guys who made me the catback told me that is the Tegiwa manifold tube thickness which is too thin and resonate on high flow gas pressure. The options are :

1. they cand make me a custom manifold replicating the Tegiwa one (or any other manifold, I thought on Toda one) but this option is too expensive
2. to heatwrap the manifold but I know this could lead to cracks in time
3. other manifold brand ?

Anyone have this symptoms with Tegiwa ? Other brands have this issue ? Anybody heatwraped the manifold and have something to say about this ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,101 Posts
Great work!! Was it me that asked you about this before? I wish I could have a K20 in my 5door. 5 seats, ability to tow and goes like a Type R. Honda have missed a trick with that one lately.

·
Clutch pedal guru
5,101 Posts
Agreed, I'd have one.
Yes totally. You know I've been talking about getting a trailer for my R6 for trackdays, I can tow with my 2.2 but can't with an FN2. That's total madness, it's the same chassis *** :frown2:

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
In regards to the ex manifold mate it's definitely normal, I get it lifting off the trottle around 6-7k.

Not much can be done really but if you find a solution I'd be interested.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
In regards to the ex manifold mate it's definitely normal, I get it lifting off the trottle around 6-7k.

Not much can be done really but if you find a solution I'd be interested.
+1 for the noise I get it on lift off....more noticeable down enclosed streets

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great work!! Was it me that asked you about this before? I wish I could have a K20 in my 5door. 5 seats, ability to tow and goes like a Type R. Honda have missed a trick with that one lately.
Hi mate, maybe. I remember that someone asked me about my car some months ago but I don't remember exactly... could be you.

This is the car that Honda should have made from the beginning and I don't understand why ?? It would have sold more units and would've been a choice for many other Golf or BMW 1 series buyers at that time. They still made the same mistakes with the 9G Type R : no panoramic roof althought the 9G Civic have it, still no automatic transmission, still no 4x4... and I don't understand why, they have technology and everything they need for this. Look at my car for example, what extra costs would have been involved if they were put the K20Z4 engine on 5 door chassis ? NOTHING... is the same engine bay with very minor differences !

Why you can't tow with a Type R but you can with a 2.2 ?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@musegroove and @Typersam1 think I'll try to heatwrap them first and see what it happens. I don't use the car for track days so don't think I'll have problems with cracking manifold.

I've put on the same time the manifold and FD2 pump with balancer shaft delete kit and Clockwise Motion baffled sump. Later I removed the pump because of his buzzyness and droning sound between 3800 - 4500 rpm and higher and hoped that will cure the buzzyness. But then I found that the manifold have his buzzyness (beside the pump) and now I try to found a solution for that :).

Maybe next days I'll put on the sale section the FD2 pump with balancer shaft delete kit and Clockwise motion baffled sump, but first I have to see what are the costs posted and what are the Paypal fees (Paypal have something with us Romanians :)) ). The pump is fine but it's not for me. I have two degrees : music and financial accountant, and I hear every sound, so the pump was irritating me on motorways... otherwise I would have kept it. I miss the power loss.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts