2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I was sitting in the car at a friends with my engine running. A loud gush of air came from under the car from around the back of the engine. It sounded like an old kettle boiling and steam or gas came shooting out from under the car. Everything is working fine and temp didn't rise. Can anyone help with what it was

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Was your engine hot when you came to standstill? Maybe you'd just returned from a spirited drive?

It sounds like the coolant expanded and the excess blew off.

I'd check the coolant is still within the level marks.

Has it recently been serviced, maybe they overfilled the coolant?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi no I had been driving easy engine was sitting at normal temp gauge didn't budge

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked the coolant level sitting ok. Just been for a drive temp gauge sitting perfect. Baffled by this

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I had a similar problem years ago on another car after I foolishly added some radiator leak sealant to the cooling system- this cause a plug of gunge to block the hose that goes from radiator to expansion tank so when the water expanded it had nowhere to go- so it expanded the top hose to twice its size until pressure was relieved !
Judging by your symptoms you have a leak or circulation problem . If the engine was running the water should be circulating , and wherever the steam came out is your leak and possibly signs of a blockage.
Round the back of the engine points to heater and connections possibly.
I would carefully look/feel for leaks with engine running after a drive, but mind your fingers !

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Air con working fine. Cars running the best (that I can see). Spoke to my mechanic he thinks possibly the relay has blocked might need replacing. Hopefully gonna get down this week c what's going on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts