2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What an end to a ****** week...

Left my car on a hill. Put handbreak on, but it didn't quite work. Went in to the building, next thing I know some lad shouts.. "mate, your car is rolling down the hill"

Race back outside and see my car stopped in fron't of the Peugeot. resting against her bumper. To be honest the damage in the photo looks much worse than it turned out. I simply clipped it all back in. It did end up cracking that chrome thing and scuffed her paint work. Met the lady, she was quite nice, said she would get a quote and see how much. Not expecting a lot, but said i would like to avoid insurance.

The Citroen, was a little worse for wear. No sign of the owner, so left a note to contact my insurance company. I fear that is worse than it looks... No sign of the owner, left a note for them to call my insurance.

Civic.... well a scratch all the way from back to front.... hoping it aint too bad, as the door looks like it is out of alignment against the wheel trim. And bloody knock pushed my reverse sensor into the bumper, i am sure i can get that fixed though.

I guess the point of the post is not only to get some moral support, but to show the world there is some genuine folk out there still. In a world of drive off's I wanted to be honest. I just hope someone returns me the favour in the future if it happens to me... Still makes me want to cry though.:(

Attachments

·
Type EX,A guy called Mark
3,435 Posts
Sorry mate I do feel for you :(

Not much use to you now but I always leave my car in gear as when I park up the brakes etc are hot and as they cool they contract which could make the car move.

If the Citroen owner contacts your insurance you may as well claim for the lot.

I am sure there was a thread on here where it happened to someone else.

Hope you get it back to looking good.

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought that about claiming for the lot, i suppose it saves me a couple of quid..... I am still unsure if the amount claimed has a direct correlation to how much your premium goes up. or is it purely on number of accidents.

Fortunately I still have my protected no-claims but god knows what my premium is going to be though (next March is my renewal, phew!)... I am really kicking myself because i normally put the car in gear AND turn into the curb for precisely this reason. I even preach to my wife about it.... I am so annoyed with myself.

While my car has a scratch and it is p***ing me off, i do feel for the Citroen owner. I would be gutted coming to my car and seeing that.

Well at least i will get all my trims tidy again and paintwork sorted.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Happened to me (and MANY others on here), mine rolled of the drive into the middle of the road, luckily it stopped in the road (must have held SOME brake force) before it hit anything, but there was a few cars waiting for it to be moved before one of the lads from down the road has the bright spark of informing me i'd seemingly abandoned my vehicle, i think my look of horror gave away it wasn't intentional though!

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Years ago my driving instructor told me not to go nuts when pulling the handbreak on for fear of snapping the cable. I still remember him telling me that, and i am sure it has stuck with me.

I blame him, the "Bar Steward" :rolleyes:

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm,

You two have had me looking at older threads.

My Car is an 07 civic and i have just stumbled across this. BBC NEWS | Business | Honda Civic owners warned of flaw.

I don't recall having any letter, and i certainly have not been told about a problem with the handbreak. Do you think this could have been the problem.

I wonder what Honda will say if i raise it with them.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Not to be pessimistic, but that looks like it's going to cost a fair amount, sorry :(

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am hoping they are going to assist me. I know for certain I put the hand break on...otherwise the car would have rolled as I tried to step out of it.

I have had the car since may 2007 and I don't recall anyone telling me of this issue...

I don't know if I should be pi***d or relieved ... I know I need to speak to the insurance company tomorrow.

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By handbreak I do actually mean hand brake. :) must be more shook up than I thought

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I am hoping they are going to assist me. I know for certain I put the hand break on...otherwise the car would have rolled as I tried to step out of it.

I have had the car since may 2007 and I don't recall anyone telling me of this issue...

I don't know if I should be pi***d or relieved ... I know I need to speak to the insurance company tomorrow.

It's a rough time and I've had 4 accidents (not my fault :)) in the last 9 months. So I know all the aggravation involved!

However, if you're going to pursue Honda, 'knowing' you put the hand brake up isn't going to be enough proof. This accident looks fairly costly and in-order for them to fold, you're going to have to somehow prove the hand brake was on. Which still may not even be enough. If you somehow prove you put it on, they can still claim that it's old, worn, hasn't been looked after or serviced and needed replacing etc

You've got nothing to lose by asking, though.

Hope everything works out for you.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I was told by the dealer when I bought mine to make sure and leave it in gear, especially when it was new or had been drive hard as there had been a few that had rolled away!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Claim for whole lot. This only becomes material with super car type liability and ££££ effect on their overall underwriting loss. Your policy next year will based on claim type as opposed to a massive cost exposure. Although protected no claims doesn't stop them hocking policy costs knowing a certain discount level will apply. What you could get is an engineers report on your hand brake as part of this so it doesn't repeat itself when they repair your car as that is in everyone's interest .

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3aempu

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I purchased my civic second hand. when i called at the dealers one day for a little history, i remember that the car had some work done to the handbrake, perhaps this was a recall/issue

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It's a rough time and I've had 4 accidents (not my fault :)) in the last 9 months. So I know all the aggravation involved!

However, if you're going to pursue Honda, 'knowing' you put the hand brake up isn't going to be enough proof. This accident looks fairly costly and in-order for them to fold, you're going to have to somehow prove the hand brake was on. Which still may not even be enough. If you somehow prove you put it on, they can still claim that it's old, worn, hasn't been looked after or serviced and needed replacing etc

You've got nothing to lose by asking, though.

Hope everything works out for you.
I see what you are saying, but it only just came back from Dealer last month after a successful MOT test. Forgive me if i am wrong but surely handbrake is one of the things tested....

I know i put the brake on, if i didn't the car would have rolled as soon as i got out the car... I think the fact that my car sits right in the middle of the recall dates (March 07) and that Honda released two advisories, including reports of the fix not working properly(i don't even know if my car has had it done, maybe during a service?), I think I have a credible grievance.

The ONE time i forget to put it in gear this happens. Ironically, based on how my car ended up i must have turned the wheels away from the curb too (facing up hill).

Arrghh, i am becoming really stressed over this now, don't want to leave my car on a slope anymore....

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Always leave in gear! Gutted for you buddy but feel sorry for they other persons car as well. I would not be happy.. At least you left your details, hope you get it all sorted.

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks mate...

I feel for them too. I have had people leave my car in some states without leaving details. I don't know how people do it without feeling hugely guilty.

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the saga continues.

Took my car to garage, initial assessment is some where around £150. Dent and scratch removal. But i need to go to body shop as it look like the rear arch has moved. there is now a 1cm gap between rear arch and the edge of the rear door. If any one could measure their gap I would be appreciative. It may have always been there but i don't think so. The gap on the other side of my car feels somewhat smaller.

The Peugeot.
She has had it at a local garage and he has quoted £270 which i think is about average.... not bad but nothing special about keeping that down it was two bits of plastic and a small scratch.

The Citroen has called the insurance company but they have not had a quote yet.... I hope it is not too bad. Was considering to pay it myself, but to be honest i think it is going to set me back far too much.

On the bright side. I got the Garage to alter the hand brake, they agreed that it should not require two hands to stop the car from rolling on a slope. They have now adjusted it, and it feels much "firmer".

They are producing a report to say that they have done just that. I am hoping that producing this to the insurance company will at least mark this incident down as a non-fault. I will certainly be arguing with them upon renewal if they don't.

What a depressing weekend, but at least i can see the end now.

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
Gutted for you mate

That is how I lost my lovely 2.2 200 HP Prelude. It ended up being written off, and scrapped within 48 hours. Dam Elephant insurance, I never saw it again. Police towed away before I had a change to get it repaired myself. Now I always put the civic into gear when parking, even on level ground

·
iVTEC, do you?
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks mate....

This makes me realise, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. The Peugeot stopped my car rolling into a busy road. and fortunately there were no kids in the street.

I would be a mess if the car had hit someone rather than something.

I just hope LV see my side, especially now i have documentation to say the hand brake required altering.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts