2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2.2 07 plate ES Civic with 80k on the clock for 4 weeks. It was spotless inside and out and some idiot went straight into the side of me in a hospital car park last night - gutted doesn't even begin to cover it!!

Its destroyed the passenger door but I think thats all but talking to my insurance co's garage - it'll be likely written off and I dont think my insurers do buy back.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
That sucks big time. Could the person who hit you cough up some money? You could get a used door in same colour and swap over the lock and card.

Only danger with that, is has it buckled anything?!?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the thing - I dont think so as it was a slow impact, amazed how much damage its done to be honest!!

How difficult would it be to swap and colour match a door?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depends what colour you have. If yours hadn't been painted and you get a door that hasn't of similar age, the different may be such that it doesn't need painting. I bet under 100 quid easy for a used door. Then maybe 4-5 hours labour to swap over with lock etc. That's assuming it's not messed anything up alignment wise.

If you had to paint, probably 400ish on top to paint the door and blend into the quarter and wing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unlucky, looks like just the door tho , if it is and you can get a replacement, a good paintshop will respray and over spray for a couple of hundred quid and you wont notice the difference

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Personally, as the 3rd Party is liable, I suspect they'll fix it... they normally do. As it's still driveable, they don't have to pay for hire car, which is normally the killer cost.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Hi nick that's bad news they never aim for the buckets of **** do they, and sorry mate any claim you make will be registered on the cars history and your premium will go up next year and if you haven't got protected no claims bonus that will take a hit too , I just had a brat ride in to the side of my fn2 on a bike £600 qoute and I chose not to go through my insurance to be fair it was not worth it and it wasn't registered, it's up to you, good luck !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, as the 3rd Party is liable, I suspect they'll fix it... they normally do. As it's still driveable, they don't have to pay for hire car, which is normally the killer cost.
Unfortunately they have deemed it un-driveable and a hire car just got delivered..........

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
A similar thing happened to my wife's 55 reg Micra just over a year ago, some idiot reversed into her in a car park , but the passenger front wing took the impact. She couldn't open the passenger door, so the insurance company trailered it to a garage who declared it a write off. Insurance company offered her about £1600 for the car,( which was a good price ) but she wanted to keep it so they delivered it back and kept £400 which was the scrap value, and gave her a cheque for £1200 . I persuaded the wing back to a position where you could open the passenger door, we had to have it MOT'd so the insurers knew it was safe, and she's still driving round in it. Following year's insurance only went up a tiny bit, the car is a category something write off so I presume the resale or p/ex value is nothing, but it had nearly new Cross-climate tyres on, passed this years MOT, and she can just drive it into the ground-- she's already got £ 1200 for it.
So---- if your damage is just the door and you can find a good s/h one--it's not the end of the world, and you could actually benefit from it.

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
theres a slight chance I might be breaking a black 2.2 5 door soon
ive sold it 3 times taken deposit twice but no one ever turned up for it

but im in cumbria so probably too far away

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
theres a slight chance I might be breaking a black 2.2 5 door soon
ive sold it 3 times taken deposit twice but no one ever turned up for it

but im in cumbria so probably too far away
Keep advertising it :smile3: Sounds like you've got yourself a good Cash Cow there :laugh2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I feel your pain. What is never considered when this kind of incident happens is it's all very well an insurer writing it off, but it doesn't take in to account you must have a vehicle in the interim when finding as close to an exact match used car.

This happened to me years ago with an old Ford Fiesta, and because I had to have a car for work, I was forced to get a car quickly which had done double the miles and wasn't quite as good as the one that had been written off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts