2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Got my 56-plate Civic Sport last Thursday. Since I got it, I've hard a metal rubbing/grinding noise, which I took to be the brakes being a bit rough, probably due to it having sat in the sales yard for a while.

But driving home from work tonight, it started squealing to the high heavens. Had stopped at traffic lights, and then when the lights changed to green, pulled away, but the car started screeching. It sounded like something was grinding and crunching.

Pulled it over once through the junction, and felt what might have been a rough idle, the revs were bouncing slightly on the rev counter. Then rolled it forward and the screeching persisted. Stopped it, called the AA, called the garage I bought it from, and walked home.

Just waiting on the AA now, then I am going to walk back out to it.

Any ideas as to what it might be? My brother-in-law is a mechanic, and he suggested it could be the clutch, although he's not sure without seeing/hearing it. I have noticed the clutch kicking ever so slightly over the last day or so, but it's nowhere near as bad as the Seat Leon I traded in, and it's clutch was replaced last summer, so didn't think much of it. Another thought I had was that it might be the brakes, but it appears to be braking fine.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
It sounds like the brake pad wear indicators.

When the pads wear down there is a piece of metal attached to the side of the pad that grinds against the rotating disc to produce a metal on metal rubbing noise when the brake pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's the brakes, I'll be mighty annoyed, because it 'passed' an MOT on the 11th April with no issues and no advisory. Of course, that doesn't mean the brakes aren't worn, the garage I got it from could have simply filled it out as fine to get it out the door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the noise I was hearing before sounded very faint, and was audible when the brakes weren't pressed, it was during normal driving. The noise I am hearing now is extremely loud and screeching/grinding, and again is when I am off the brakes. My hope was that perhaps the brakes had siezed.

What are the implications of it being the DMF? Big job? What should I look for?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
An MOT licence is like gold and is guarded like the Crown Jewels.
I very much doubt they would do that.
As mentioned - seems like you are down to the limit on the pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the AA contractor from a local garage came out at 8.30. I got a call at 8pm to say he was on his way, so I walked back round to where I had left the car. I started it, and inched it forward the way I had done before. No noise.

The contracted mechanic said he reckoned it was the brakes, although looking at them he thought the back discs and pads were worn, then said there seemed to be enough of the pad left on the visible side. He followed me out to the garage, and on the way I could hear the metal-on-metal rubbing I had been hearing during normal driving.

He also pointed out that the wear on the disc looked uneven. There is about two-thirds of the disc shiny under the pad contact patch, and one third rust-covered, with a thin line beyond that where the edge of the pad rubs. He thinks in the two hours between the screeching that halted me and when he arrived, the brakes have cooled and released.

In regards to the MOT, they are required to report if the discs and pads are heavily worn. I had no advisory notice on my car. It's fairly easy to bodge an MOT if they thought they'd get away with it. Seen it done before.

Anyway, I got my car with a full tank of fuel in it. I've covered about 130 miles in it since picking it up, and it's used half a tank already. I haven't even been that heavy with the pedal either. Having just got the car, I thought the 1.8 petrol might just be thirstier than I expected, depsite the listed mpg figures being higher than my old Seat Leon. If there's a problem with the brakes rubbing, then that might explain using half a tank in about 5 days.

·
Replica man
2,175 Posts
Well let just hope it's the rear pads,mine also stuck on.I got mine checked out when my mpg dropped to 33mpg since then it's back to 38.if you get them replaced it maybe be a good time to upgrade the pads to help stop any future problems

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
Could be the pads.
My wife had a HRV year`s ago that done the same thing when the pad`s were needing replaced,i also had an Accord Sport that done it aswell.
A dark move from Honda to score your disc`s when your pad`s are needing done so you have to fork out more cash for new disc`s.

·
OMG8THGENEX
840 Posts
Check it's not the metal guard that sits behind the disc that has warped and is rubbing... try and push the guard away from the disc and see if that helps... It makes an awful head turning noise... my friend had this issue and the dealers told him that's what had caused it... 6 months later it happened to me on a very hot day... I simply pushed back the guard and offending noise vanished! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's in the garage just now. The noise it made was horrendous, so maybe it was the guard. Waiting to see what they say.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Check it's not the metal guard that sits behind the disc that has warped and is rubbing... try and push the guard away from the disc and see if that helps... It makes an awful head turning noise... my friend had this issue and the dealers told him that's what had caused it... 6 months later it happened to me on a very hot day... I simply pushed back the guard and offending noise vanished! :D
I too had some nasty screeching and the garage did this. They also cleaned out the brakes to make sure there were no stones trapped and took a look at the callipers to make sure nothing was seizing. Since then nothing.... fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after 5 or 6 calls to the garage, 9 and a half hours later I finally found out what was happening with my car. According to the garage, they found nothing wrong with it. I explained that I wasn't imagining the noise, and that I at first thought my exhaust had collapsed and was dragging along the road, the noise was so severe. But they claim they found nothing wrong with it.

Of course, if they DID find anything wrong, they wouldn't be about to tell me, would they? Not after giving it a clean bill of health with the MOT. What's interesting is the uneven wear on the discs is gone, as if it has been ground down. It was certainly there when I dropped the car off this morning. Also, on the drive home, the rubbing noise I was hearing during normal driving is very much diminished.

I guess all I can do is run the car and see what happens. Going to get my brother-in-law to check the brakes, though. He's a licensed MOT tester, I'm sure he'll spot any irregularities.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Well, after 5 or 6 calls to the garage, 9 and a half hours later I finally found out what was happening with my car. According to the garage, they found nothing wrong with it. I explained that I wasn't imagining the noise, and that I at first thought my exhaust had collapsed and was dragging along the road, the noise was so severe. But they claim they found nothing wrong with it.

Of course, if they DID find anything wrong, they wouldn't be about to tell me, would they? Not after giving it a clean bill of health with the MOT. What's interesting is the uneven wear on the discs is gone, as if it has been ground down. It was certainly there when I dropped the car off this morning. Also, on the drive home, the rubbing noise I was hearing during normal driving is very much diminished.

I guess all I can do is run the car and see what happens. Going to get my brother-in-law to check the brakes, though. He's a licensed MOT tester, I'm sure he'll spot any irregularities.
Does the disc look new?

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Did your brother in law have a look, what did he find ?

And how are things now ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did your brother in law have a look, what did he find ?

And how are things now ?
My brother-in-law was away at the weekend, so I haven't seen him. Things seem to be fine with the car now, took it about 70 miles today, which is the furthest it has been since I got it, and there were no issues, mileage is much improved too. Touch wood, it seems to be sorted.

My missus' uncle was past today, he used to be a mechanic, he suggested the rubbing I've been hearing is the new pads wearing in to the grooves of the disc. Never had that before, so maybe that's what I have been hearing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They might have just stripped the caliper down and greased it up. Keep your eye on it as that happened to mine 10 months ago and 2 weeks ago I replaced both calipers, both discs and pads! Had to because I was doing 70mph on motorway and heard a screaching noise, pulled on the hard shoulder and the caliper had seized on, lots of smoke!!! Cars right now though lol!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts