2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Never tap!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really pi**ed off as I coming down a country lane near to where I live and I saw a lorry so slowed down as these road are bad and started to move right over to the left more to let him by. To my fear he is still coming full speed and I knew something was going to happen.

Came flying past me with other traffic behind him and heard my wing mirror smash, saw the red cover come flying off and could see the mirror just dangling down scratching my door paint. Because of the road being so narrow I didn’t have time to turn around with a fair amount of traffic still coming past me and I dread to think what would of happened if I had catched up with the guy as I don’t have a good tempter, and don’t need hassle with police etc.... and didn’t get his reg :mad:

Amazingly the wing mirror is in tact!!!! Glass is smashed and red outer cover is scratched and small part missing from the white plastic bit for the indicator.

Anyone know if these parts are just available or do you have to buy the entire unit??

Will get some pictures on later, rant over and least im safe.

·
Sold a kidney last week!
3,962 Posts
Sorry to hear of your anguish man!

I had a bus driver almost do the same during the last week - he gave me an evil stare, one of those 'flash >insert expletive here<' looks, when I, imo, rightfully, decided not to 'fit' into the gap that I was hesitant to advance into.. Sounds as if it was a lucky-ish escape.. I remember speaking to Honda about my old Civic and they quoted me a rediculous price to get my wing mirrors colour coded let alone, repaired - so not too sure what you're looking at.. Best of luck

·
If Carlsberg did Civics..
162 Posts
That sucks, sorry man.

Did you catch the guys license plate or was there any brand names on the lorry? Criminal damage and all that.

·
Never tap!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for replies guys, white lorry with nothing on as far as logos. All I remember just a fat guy at the wheel. The mechanism does work so I have to grateful for that I guess.

Hope i see him tomorrow on the same route.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i had this done by a truck too! you get the mirror assembly, cover and indicator seperately but cost is between 170 and 200 quid ive found a few on ebay which im thinking about getting for around 100 quid

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I had something similar happen between a porsche and my old car........ needless to say mine folded in no damage at all his went flying down the road..... I had right of way though, and he was going so fast he was probably at home before his brain realised what had happened.

Sadly I think your looking at 200+ quid for a new mirror, especially if your is electric, heated etc. etc.

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me last year. Have a word with your local parts manager as all the bits are available separately. From memory it cost me £110 fitted for a new casing including the indicator strip.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
See my thread in the CRV section...the system sucks.

I did get his number etc after I chased him and went to the police, but still cannot get anything sorted as he just denies anything....his latest stance is that he was stationary when I hit him!!!

Anyway, to answer your question, yes you can buy the individual bits, I did for the CRV, still cost just short of £140, but it was over £300 for a new mirror!

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
That's not too bad really, could be far more, you may be able to get away with keeping bits from your old mirrors if you are lucky....

Tom

·
Never tap!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robbers!!!! Will speak to them at dinner.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The glass is £21 and indicator strip is £28, at least it was for me. ;)

·
Stuck in the 80's
246 Posts
Same thing happened to me... check this out... the VERY day I got my car. I was fuming angry, and the stupid bitch who did it came out of her sheddy little car and started shouting at me, and getting up in my face. It was clearly her fault, and ay the roadside she relented and apologised..

Honda quoted £235 for the complete new mirror - the mechanisms were all still working, so I only REALLY needed the new glass and the scull caps, but due to the broken parts hitting the door there were scratches on the black plastic where it attaches to the car so I wanted the whole thing replaced. She told me to stuff my £235 and I went through insurance..

She told them it was my fault and I had to wait a good couple of months until they resolved the argument in my favour.

Anyways, sorry - long story short, yes you can order the parts separately! :-D

·
Never tap!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for feedback guys and diagram.

Didnt get hold of Honda at dinner will try after work. If i can get away with just the glass and indicator strip i'll be happy :)

Will get the polisher on the outer color coding bit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Some ****** person in a fiesta hit my mirrior on a wide open road. Most of the time i close them, and i actually thoughy fudge it i'm only going to the cash machine.. i hear a smashing noise and fear the worest... turned around and i see something fly off! I think nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! Run to my car and saw my mirrior was intact with not scratch at all and his was smashed on the floor. Stupid idiot didn't even pull over! I walked behind the car as they pulled up the roundabout but he drove off and i threw the mirrior at him haha... im glad that persons mirrior was completely wrecked..

Our mirriors are very versatile i must say!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
In future instead of venting anger by throwing things - get their licence number and then inform the Police :)

·
Never tap!
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Parts ordered same as Coldwarkid stated. Not heard anything front Honda as of yet, even though I was assured next day delivery. My local dealer has now moved and had to deal with a sarcastic guy who stated 'Oh I only normally deal with bike parts' as the dealer sells both Cars and bikes.

Not very helpful at all when I asked if he could check the damage to see which parts were needed so I had everything covered. Even had the cheek to say I had a few swirls on my paint (million red) and went on about how all manufactures are the same - Bullsh*t!! Car had 3 coats of Collinite 915 and looked clean if i say so my self. I must have woken him up and he didnt want to do any work :p

My brother has since been to same dealer regarding his new Fireblade and he didnt have many good things to say about them.

I wasn’t going to get into this argument as most people know on this site how soft Honda's paint is!!!

Will report back if they manage to inform me, already left a voicemail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Coldwarkid Where did you get the glass from, was it just a stick on top of broken glass one or actually replacement. Does anyone know anywhere cheap to get a replacement right wing mirror, just the glass

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Lincoln Honda and it was a replacement.

As your location is Bolton why don't you message Gordons Honda on here and see what price they can do for you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts