2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums, thought it would be a good place to try and find some answers.

I own a 2006 2.2 Diesel MkIII Honda Civic.

I have regrettably recently had a low speed collision into the back of another car. I have managed to source some the parts needed to get the car sorted but I am holding back on purchasing the headlights.
The car was fitted with factory xenon headlights. To be honest, I do not really have the money to purchase a new pair as they seem to retail at around £400, when the cheaper halogen lights are around £120 for a pair.
Is it possible to simply purchase the cheaper halogen lights and place them instead?
Will the existing wiring adapters simply plug into them fine? Without causing any issues either now or in future?
I have noticed what seems to be a small electrical box mounted on each unit, is this what converts the power for the xenon?

It is only the headlight casings that have shattered a bit, is it possible to buy halogen units, and put the xenon parts in them? how big a job is this?

Any help that you guys can offer would be much appreciated, or if you know anyone breaking a Civic in the Essex/London area, please put me in touch.

Thanks,

Jade

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
The correct D2R bulbs won't fit halogen headlight housings, and any other bulb won't be compatible with the factory ballasts.

Your option is to pay what it costs or change completely to halogen or aftermarket HID option.

Personally id pay up, resale would be greatly effected otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The correct D2R bulbs won't fit halogen headlight housings, and any other bulb won't be compatible with the factory ballasts.

Your option is to pay what it costs or change completely to halogen or aftermarket HID option.

Personally id pay up, resale would be greatly effected otherwise.
Hi JP,

Thanks for your quick response. I would like to stay with xenon, but I just don't have the funds to buy them.
When you say change completely to halogen. What is involved in this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Hi JP,

Thanks for your quick response. I would like to stay with xenon, but I just don't have the funds to buy them.

When you say change completely to halogen. What is involved in this?

Thanks

God knows.

I strongly advise you don't, everything is effected from the headlight washers to the switch gear on the dash.

Claim on insurance or sell a kidney. Don't ruin the car you will regret come sale time.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
God knows.

I strongly advise you don't, everything is effected from the headlight washers to the switch gear on the dash.

Claim on insurance or sell a kidney. Don't ruin the car you will regret come sale time.
I agree entirely.

I don't know what is involved but you're going to have a whole host of difficulties.

For a start you have lighting wiring that's chucking out circa 20,000 volts when you need 12! So you're probably going to have to cut the headlight part of the loom at the 12v feed point, and then bypass the ballasts to get down to 12v. Then I imagine you're going to have to source 12v connectors and somehow cobble those together with the bypass as the bulb connectors for D2R won't be the same, all whilst ensuring a good connection, no shorts and no leakage to earth (bearing in mind the whole car body is earth).

You could of course just buy the headlight part of the loom but then fitting becomes a big job and might involve bulkhead or even engine removal (I really don't know where it joins the main loom), and at what cost for the loom (i'm guessing more than £100)?

Plus another obvious issue, are the headlight mounting brackets in the same position exactly?

..and who knows what else might be different.

Mr JP is correct. You'll hit a few problems and devalue your car at resale. It will be far cheaper and easier in the end to pay the £400 as then you only have to worry about swapping them over.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Hi Jade,

We have a lot of breakers close to us (most of them I know) and the prices are very competitive.. if you can PM me your details i.e model year etc.. and what you need exactly and I will see if I can get a pair of the OEM xenon ones for you cheaper than those London/Essex prices :)

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Speaking hyperthetically and we said that the car would only be used off road afterwards and so insurance isn't an issue etc, like it might be if you were to drive on the road..............................

Your lighting circuit is all 12 volts until the little boxes you mention for each unit, these are known as ballasts. these, simply put, convert the 12 volts to a few thousand to power the HID bulb. The HID bulbs use an arc, hence needing so much voltage vs halogen filaments which only need a few volts, relatively speaking to illuminate. Sourcing OEM ballasts is a headache if yours blow and used working ones, as you have can be worth some money if you did decide to go back to halogens. The manufacturer of the ballasts can vary their value a great deal, I would expect Honda to use Denso or possibly Matsushita ballasts like most Toyotas/Lexus etc use.

Note: If you do go back to halogen, you WILL need halogen light enclosures with the halogen designed reflectors, if you use HID reflectors/projectors with a halogen bulb, the light output could be dangerously altered making the vehicle un-drivable, on or offroad.

If you go back to Halogen, you will need to check the wiring setup from the relay forward to the halogen bulb, and instal a headlight connector plug and make sure that the wiring can cope with 12 Amps - this is what can fry your wiring. However a few hours with a multimeter, wiring diagram and some wire if needs be, would likely be cheaper than OEM HID headlights.
[email protected] x 2 = 10 Amps + 20%(Safety margin) = 12 Amps

Personally I'd pay the money and stick with HID though - I'm retrofitting HID's into a car that came with Halogen headlights from factory, going the other way would be a downgrade in lighting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts