2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Haltamer's Civic

29K views 87 replies 22 participants last post by  treehouse786 
#1 · (Edited)

Well, It seems like it's about time to introduce myself and my car. Haven't actually made a welcome thread :p

As per my profile and the forum section, I've got a 9th Gen Civic - A "1.4" (Actually 1339cc!) that I bought in 2017, right at the very end of the production run - Steering clear of the character of the early 10G models :)

The Civic was chosen for the incredibly low insurance cost - Only ~1.2K for my first year of driving at 18, living on the outskirts of London. Not bad! That's since dropped to £750 with 2 years NCB. - For first year comparison, the only car that could match for insurance costs was the Kia Picanto!

Since purchase, I've put about 25K miles on - It's taken me to Germany, where I've discovered the cars virtues as a camper (And that it can go 120mph - Better than the manufacturer stated 114! >:) ) as well as plenty of fun drives around the UK and Wales.

I've been very impressed with the handling and comfort from standard; Handling is very competent and confidence inspiring.

Now, being a wayward youth, I'd of course need to make a few tweaks - Even if it's already the coolest car in the college car park :)

For a list of what's done so far...
(Granular!)

Styling & Lighting (Interior & Exterior)
  • Custom sill plates - Soon to be replaced with some illuminating items!
  • LED reversing lights
  • LED numberplate lights
  • LED Interior lights
  • LED H7 High beam
  • HID H7 Dip beam
  • Rickhondar's LED RGB footwell lights
  • PWJDM Tow hook
  • Lots of stickers!
  • KolourKoncept alcantara gear gaiter
  • Light smoke foglight protectors

Drivetrain
  • Acuity shifter base bushings
  • Acuity shifter linkage bushings
  • Skunk2 titanium billet shift knob
  • Acuity shifter boot collar

Suspension
  • Eibach pro street-s lowering springs

Infotainment & Electronics
  • Honda connect RC8 Update; Rooted for custom app installation!
  • Hardwired Blackvue Powermagic Pro + Rexing front & rear dashcam (When I can get it working!)

Engine
  • K&N Panel Filter
  • Mugen reservoir sock
  • Domo reservoir sock :)

On the list for the future?
  • Smooth and paint brake callipers
  • EBC Yellowstuff pads
  • MTEC Grooved discs
  • A GT wing >:)
  • Injen Intake kit - This is on order!
  • Rear ARB
  • Front strut brace
  • Bilstein B8 Dampers
  • LED Underglow - I've got it ready to go on - Just need to figure the how!
  • Dream splitter
  • Alcantara wheel re trim
  • Powdercoating alloys
  • Kenwood underseat sub to go under rear seats
  • Coloured wheel arches
  • Acuity throttle pedal spacer (Waiting for UK suppliers!)
  • Rear passenger window tinting (Booked!)
  • OSRAM LED fog lights
  • FK2 CTR Seats
  • Carbon bonnet
  • Powerflex bushings (Waiting for them to be released for the 9G!)

Now, That's a very big list - some things more feasible than others, but at least I've got somewhere to reference next time I've got money burning a hole in my pocket!

See less See more
#2 ·
Now, the gear gaiter!
Very pleased with this; Certainly adds a note of luxury to the interior and a big improvement over the cheaper poly-leather of the stock shift knob.
Full set of pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/Mm1oFTZ
Unfortunately have yet to get a picture with proper lighting; This is probably the best picture:

Only ~£20 for a fully custom gaiter in alcantara with silver thread to match the interior. - Cheaper than the ones on dream etc, ordered from @KOLourKoncept on instagram.

Puts the finishing touches on my shifting overhaul!

#4 ·
At the moment they're on the "Maybe" list - They're quite expensive, and I'm quite happy with the outcome of the Eibach lowering springs alone.
There are a few moments that make me feel like the spring rates are a tiny bit out (Which they are, as It's OEM Dampers and lowering springs - As much as Eibach calibrate, they can't change physics!) - At the moment nothing that compromising I've thought I must change dampers.

That being said - Rob.e's mention of "GTI-esque" handling has a certain allure :)

Be careful if you do order their dampers, as IIRC, B8's are for lowering springs specifically - I think you'd need B6's.

#14 ·
Another quick one today, Just in time for the Essex Honda stand at Tunerfest Brands' Hatch tommorrow - Some 20% rear window tints; Matches nicely with the factory tints on the boot; I'll have a quick compare to the factory tint on the FK2 tomorrow.

(Don't worry, a thorough cleaning session comes next :)

As a little aside, I was practising some long exposre photography last night and got this rather cool drive by shot. Look forward to doing some more when we get some clearer nights, hopefully some nice star-backed images.

Not bad for a first attempt!

#15 ·
Crispy suspension lol, I had a bent subframe. Believe it or not ,I had two marina's, my estate was getting on a bit so I bought another for £10 for spares, after I rebuilt front end (wings, front panel etc) sold it with a dodgy engine to a workmate for his holidays, he done 700 miles round trip topping up the oil every stop, and it finally blew up 3 miles from home. lovely cars :crying:

#18 ·
£160 is the quote I had for passenger + rears by one shop; That being said, there's already a factory 20% Tint on the rear windows, so any extra tinting is rather pointless unless you're going for the full on 5% black abyss look.

For the back two windows, It was £60 locally, and that's in the South East / Near London. - I'd say that's a fair price; Only took them a little while to do.

You can get pre cut tint films to DIY, But they're ~£40, so for the extra £20 May as well have someone do them properly.

I'd say they've also yielded a slight reduction in car temperature when parked in the sun, too, which is nice. I'll see how they go; I'm almost tempted to get some very light (Legal, obviously) tints for the front windows to bring down the interior temps some more.

#19 ·
Nice, you got a good deal at £60 for the two.

Do they apply the tints below the window line, or just above? Do they remove the door card to do it? I only ask as I'd hate to have the film start to peel up from the window going up and down. I suppose it also depends on the workshop doing it.

I wouldn't dream doing my own. I can barely wrap a Christmas present without making a state of it.

#20 ·
I imagine it would depend on the shop; Even the person - The one that did the left window did it without any trim removal; I think he tucked it using a squeegee or similar.

The one on the right did take the trim apart a little:- Removed the inner-side of the passenger door handle, then pried out the inner cover of the door handle; Then removed two bolts that allowed him to pop the top of the door trim loose enough to get the film in.

#21 ·
In other news; I've found the GE8 1.5 Intake manifold can be fitted to the L13Z1, thanks to a local Jazz owner. Going to have to look at getting one; There's a ~6HP / 5ftlb improvement over the 1.3 intake.

That being said, I wonder if a nice aftermarket GE8 manifold would work even better...... >:)

#22 ·
Injen Intake sorted!

Originally ordered from H-Tune, but they couldn't get it as they only have access to the US stock apparently.

Not a problem for me though, as I just so happen to be in the Netherlands - And the ferry terminal is right next to the Injen Europe HQ >:)

Popped in to collect; they were rather surprised to see a Brit collecting an order! - That gives me something to do when I get home, followed very quickly by a wash.

Review and sound to follow :)

#26 ·
Back now unfortunately, but if you book a trip on the Stena line to Hoek Van Holland it's just a few blocks away from the terminal :p

love your gear gaiter - that might need to go on my list (mine's showing a bit of wear..)
Very quick to fit, and only ~£20, Go for it - Life's too short. He'll do it in other coulours if you want too :p

#28 · (Edited)
Injen update time!

Went and yobbed it up a bit to get some sound videos.

Sounds nice; Especially at the very top end of the rev range - Very Bwaah'y.

Performance wise, no issues - As above, I've made it difficult to compare as I went from driving the car with a massive load for a week straight to new intake; That being said, it does feel nice and spritely when pulling away now - More so than before, and I've noticed improved performance at the top end too; If taken right to the bitter end (Redlining) It'll push about 2mph extra out of the gear, which is always welcome.
Furthermore, I'd say there is a slightly improved timbre of the exhaust note, which is noticeable when static idling - Slightly reduces the higher pitched "Sad lawnmower" sound of the full stock system.

Oh, and I do like the little "Puff" of air sound from the idle air control valve that can now be heard when shutting down :)

As for liveablility, I'm a little wary of the low intake location and I'd certainly take more heed of crossing fords compared to the very high stock intake. The idling is smooth and quiet; as is regular cruising - The extra volume only comes in when you step right on the throttle or get into the 4K+ RPM area.

As the intake feeds from the area under the battery tray, I'm thinking of grabbing a Type R fog light mesh with the cutout, as that would pretty much give a direct air feed - Certainly won't hurt. (I may even look at swapping to some OSRAM LED fog lights at the same time if the bumper needs to come off... :) )

#29 ·
Car limits day was done last week! Great fun; Who said you can't get a Civic sideways?

[ame]https://youtu.be/Pd5T_dskGac?t=102[/ame]

After a few spins and some very helpful instruction, I was making the same bend at 50 with one finger; Later in the day with some further advice I was able to make it in 70mph (About as much steam as I could raise on the straight! :p ) with some braking - With plenty of room to spare!

Certainly very enjoyable and informative - With skills in limit handling and high speed cornering that can transfer to the road through generally improved car control.

Anywhom, Coming up soon I'll be fitting my OSRAM LED F1 Foglights later today (Hopefully) - I'll pop up a little review once that is done.

Next on the cards from there will most likely be a cut-in air scoop to feed air directly to the CAI; I'll see how things look once I've got the bumper off to see what can be done about a direct feed to the Injen.

#30 ·
OSRAM Foglights in!

Amazing improvement for £30, and a nice easy fitment, as it turns out. - The bumper must come off, but having done it for a first time, I see how easily it can be done!

There's a definite appearence improvement over the OEM items, With their perfect white LED look and extremely precise cutoff; The light projected is very intense in the "target area", but standing in front of the car above the cutoff, the fog lights are no brighter than the sidelights.

Attachments

#33 ·
Another mod completed!

LED door sills this time.

Heated up the old items and managed to peel them off with a hairdryer and some Simoniz Tar & Glue remover (Not bad for a cheap product!)

Then, removed all of the sill and pillar trim to get them in - Actually easier than it sounds.
The worst part was the wiring, mostly because I don't have the convenient 10G plug, so I ordered in some quicksplicer doodads and spliced it into the option connector wires for my footwell lights and a ground wire for my dashcam hardwire - It's getting to be a bit of a jungle in my fuse box!

That said, Only £30 and I've now got some pretty sills that light up front AND rear, unlike the OEM Items :)
(Pictures not the greatest, try taking pictures of a light source at night with a phone :p )

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.