2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Looks better each time you post !
Wind deflectors set the car off nicely, and what a shine.
That makes me feel very warm and fuzzy! Now I've got to work out how to keep it up :)

Did a little test drive with the wind deflectors, and I'd say (Perhaps placebo) they've slightly improved wind noise in the cabin. On a quick test (In mexico), there were no noticeable buffeting sounds until ~90mph which seems like a nice improvement:- That being said, I haven't done an explicit before and after listen as usual .-.

As for windows down operation, very quiet and no buffeting - Job jobbed! I do like driving (Quickly) with the windows down in the country for the ability to hear, so it'll hopefully improve that.

My main concern / complaint would be the visibilty compromise due to the way they effectively widen the A-Pillar and slightly obscure the left mirror:- I'm going to see how they fare in the day, and how I adjust first; As I'm hoping their position would cut down on the sun glare from the side in the day.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Heko wind deflectors fitted!

That'll be me until next payday, I think - Dropped far too much money on a new DAS6 and supplies; Paintwork is very much popping now though!

Opinions sought - I wasn't too sure when I put them on, but the look has grown on me. Only complaint would be the slight obstruction of the NS mirror's inner section; I'll have to see how I get on with that if not I may need to trim them down.
I am on the fence for these. Seen a few people post about mirror obstruction and not getting a close fit. Think I'll watch this post see how you get on with them.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I am on the fence for these. Seen a few people post about mirror obstruction and not getting a close fit. Think I'll watch this post see how you get on with them.
Fit / Finish would get an "OK" from me. There were some small scratches and a chip on the ones I have, which were new in bag (And packed in a box), but from an Ebay reseller at ~£30, cheaper than the £46 direct price, so I'm not going to make an immediate judgement on all Heko products.
The fit is OK; It's not 100% on the rears, but it's only a little extra flat surface towards the front of the deflector - Doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Loved my heko’s until some div stole all 4 while i was walking around a carboot sale in Cannock. I now have a different brand which have a darker tint an from inside the car when the light shies through them they look grey instead of heko’s brown tinge

·
Registered
154 Posts
Fit / Finish would get an "OK" from me. There were some small scratches and a chip on the ones I have, which were new in bag (And packed in a box), but from an Ebay reseller at ~£30, cheaper than the £46 direct price, so I'm not going to make an immediate judgement on all Heko products.
The fit is OK; It's not 100% on the rears, but it's only a little extra flat surface towards the front of the deflector - Doesn't really bother me.
I might get a set for just the fronts. Don't like the idea of them blocking any view.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Have a look on ebay, the seller I got them from was only £29, so worth a punt to see if you like them

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Out taking some rolling shots today

The Civic's boot makes an excellent camera platform; With the seats folded flat you can take a nice stable seated position, and wrap the two passenger seatbelts around your torso to prevent ejection.

Only one problem - The boot shuts itself at 40MPH! (Great downforce, mind!)

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Off to pick up the rear window Solarplexius strip tomorrow; I've also got an Acuity Throttle pedal repositioning adapter on order too :D

Aside from that, I'm thinking of making a few small tweaks.
First on the list, Tinting the unused white section of the rear lights on the boot (Next to the indicator) - Inspired by a local FK2, https://www.instagram.com/fk2campbell/

From there, I'm thinking of perhaps getting some carbon wrap for a few interior bits as something to do, as well as perhaps finally painting the calipers - Still need to choose a colour though!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
A couple of bits sorted today - I've installed the Solarplexius strip (Thanks @Kevaldo :) ) and tint-sprayed the unused area of the rear lights, which nicely emphasises the "Claw" shape of the red sections, and widens the appearence of the rear window.

I've still got to do some polishing on the finish to get it to a nice gloss, but it's already looking decent from a distance.

The solarplex looks quite nice, and pretty much completely blacks out the window from the outside; It's pretty dark on the inside too, so I'll have to see how visibilty is - I'm hoping it may reduce some light from following vehicles to prevent some dazzle. (Mirror dim is great, but when they're flooding the entire cabin with light!)

As for next mod, I've ordered some W21W LED Indicators with inbuilt hyperflash-resistors from Classic car LEDs, So I'll have to see how those go once they arrive!
Throttle pedal spacer is also inbound :D

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks really good! Must say I am now interested in Solarplexius.. Did you consider getting the rear passenger windows done too? How was the fitting?

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just the lower rear window:- Fitting is quite easy, push it into place and add some push-in clips to secure.

It's quite dark, and looks the part, however, I'm not sure I'd want it if I didn't have a reversing camera. Further to that, If you have it in the rear windows, as it's a seperate sheet of plastic it needs to be removed seperately if you roll the windows down; Have a look at my older post, I've got some 30% (IIRC) tint on the rear windows which was only ~£60 to fit, which looks the part, does the job and doesn't interfere with window use.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Another mod completed; Very pleased with this one - Just need to find some for the rear now!

LED Indicators!

These are straight bulb replacements; They've got inbuilt resistors to prevent hyperflashing, which makes them a direct swap for the existing bulbs; Whilst a PITA, the effect is brilliant! (Quite literally)

They're far brighter, de-tango the headlights from the front, and acutally illuminate for the full cycle, as there is no warmup time.

With the halogen bulbs...

With the LEDs...

And for the video proof...
(Guess which one is the LED!)

And at night...
(The apparent bloom effect on the bulbs is an effect of the camera adjusting exposure; They illuminate instantly to 100% and remain at the same level throughout the light cycle - No pulsing!)

Not sponsored, but if you facny getting some: https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-bulbs/products/1-x-canbus-bright-amber-led-indicator-bulb-no-hyperflash-7440-w16w-w21w-t20-582

It was rather refreshing to see a non-OSRAM / Phillips LED bulb that didn't look like solder & hot glue chinese junk!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did remember that you had tinted the rear windows shortly after posting but I was just too tired to correct myself last night... Good point on them rear windows, would be a PITA to have to remove them each time, think an actual window tint is the best option, I have loads I'd like to do to my car - similar to yours and them LED indicators look great. You have given me a lot of inspiration mate, your car looks (and sounds) really good.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks @Aar, you make the parts costs worth it :p

Wasn't idle this evening, grabbed my Acuity throttle spacer earlier today and got it fitted.
Haven't been for a drive yet, but the accessibility of the throttle even on the driveway testing is remarkable.

As per usual, I forgot to get a before picture :p

I do like the look of Acuity parts; Very well made - Nice subtle bits, matches the OEM+ Mantra that they aim for.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Now that I've gotten more used to the changed position and gone for a drive on some nice roads, I'm feeling far more like a driving god. Heel & Toe is much simplified now, espcially under lighter breaking; More like that used on the road.

Got some cool pictures too!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I've finished off the indicator retrofits by converting the rears - Unfortunately there's not a great deal of choice in the W16W amber size, which means there were no bulbs with inbuilt resistors; For testing, I grabbed some cheap ~£10 COB LEDs from Amazon, on the off chance the inbuilt CANBUS resistors would prevent hyperflashing, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

As such, I also got some 6 Ohm, 50W Resistors - These have worked perfectly to prevent hyperflashing. I'll probably upgrade the LEDs to a more robust bulb in the future, but these certainly do the trick, being brighter than the filament bulbs, and having instant on-off.

The resistors on the bulbs do get fairly warm, with a several minute use of hazards getting the resistors up to about ~85c before they level off.

Whilst in the back, I've also changed the previous LED reversing lights to OSRAM W16W bulbs; They give a little more output than the previous LEDs, but mostly give a perfect white which matches the numberplate LEDs, and are of generally better quality.

The install:

Much brighter!:

And the best part, Instant on/off:
https://imgur.com/SvWNRsm

For good measure, the reversing lights:

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
About time for an update! Can't have you thinking that I'm slacking!

Not too much has changed, but I've been out and about - Visiting the IHM in the Netherlands, as well as touring around the Netherlands in general.
Spot the odd one out:

Had a great time at the IHM on track and looking around! Lots of cars you don't get to see in the UK.

No-Deal brexit planning in full force on the ferry:

The OEM Battery sadly passed away, probably couldn't bear all the extra LEDs! :p I've popped in a 2.2 Battery now, as per my other thread - Seems to be perfectly fine now!

The big change is the arches:- I've picked up a set of painted arches - They really change the look of the car, and have me horrified when I see the pictures with black plastic - Which now means I need a new set of desktop wallpapers.

As for imminent plans, I've got yellowstuff pads on order for all round. I'm thinking of picking up some dark copper / bronze caliper paint at the same time:- I'm also contemplating grooved discs for the cool look, but I'm still not 100% sure on that one!
That being said, I'm looking back at those ARBs as well now...

I've also got some diagnostics to do, with a P2138 DTC being thrown (Most jarringly) whenever I launch hard. I'm wondering if it's related the the Throttle pedal spacer, but I'm not 100% sure as I can't seem to replicate the issue without a hard launch - Could be a loose connection; I plan to graph out a launch using the OBD to see what's up.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Update time!

I've just placed an order for a device from DCScandinavia that was mentioned here - So I should have daytime tail lights coming soon!

I've also got the EBC Pads - I've put on the fronts, but I have yet to do the rears by virtue of the rain.
I've only used them for just over 100 miles now, so I'm not expecting too much out of them yet, but I've been impressed by the pedal feel and bite (I know the brake-in can impact the bite, but very good so far)

I do also have orange caliper paint and "HONDA" stickers for the caliper, but I chickened out of doing this - I'm still not sure if I'll like it. That's where you all come in - Opinions on the below please!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts