2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A great big rhododendron!! The whole hatchback had to be replaced, scratches down both sides and drivers side wheel arch!!! Car was buried into bush to front doors. Travelled about 50 metres. 10 metres to the left and big splash into pond! So I was probably lucky!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whilst it was being repaired, I had a Mondeo, a Focus and a Jetta. I travel a bit so each time I came back to Heathrow got a different car.
All their hanbrakes operated more positively than the Civic.
I gave them all a 2 hour test. Drove round for a couple of hours and parked on my drive with just the handbrake on (not on full). After 2 hours could not push any of them, they all had rear discs.
Got the Civic back this week, did the same test, guess what, could easily push the car backwards after 2 hours, not forwards though.
So now park in gear all the time.

·
Fallen Angel
1,229 Posts
Whilst it was being repaired, I had a Mondeo, a Focus and a Jetta. I travel a bit so each time I came back to Heathrow got a different car.
All their hanbrakes operated more positively than the Civic.
I gave them all a 2 hour test. Drove round for a couple of hours and parked on my drive with just the handbrake on (not on full). After 2 hours could not push any of them, they all had rear discs.
Got the Civic back this week, did the same test, guess what, could easily push the car backwards after 2 hours, not forwards though.
So now park in gear all the time.

I have to be completly honest...i have no problem with my handbrake...well put it this way it hasn't found itself disapperaing backwards down the drive!!! Tis a worry though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I put it on so hard that my wife complains then I don't think there is a problem! But if I just pull it up easily then the problem which has been discussed so much about rear discs contracting appears.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Thats a joke - there is clearly a major problem going on here with the handbrakes, send that picture to Honda and your story to Watchdog, someone will end up getting killed due to this fault there are too many cases for this to be a coincidence :mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got a Focus and others have said about the handbrake being crap, but I've found it to be the best handbrake I've ever had, lol.
Handbrakes operating discs are always going to be a bit useless though! I think it's why a lot of manufacturers are starting to install electronic parking brakes, which operate some kind of auxillary brake rather than using the main brake discs. The systems about do differ in their design.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car has been serviced recently, handbrake fully checked. Cable was tightened and feels much more positive. All seemed well, but this week lever released itself as I applied the brake, my hand was still on lever so no harm done. I know there's a problem, Honda says there isn't so I am extra careful when I park.

·
Old enough to know better
125 Posts
I just picked up my Civic at the dealers after first service, it was parked on a slope, not in gear.
The handbrake was not on properly, just on top of a notch and ready to pop off.
Lucky wasn't I?
Regards
Tony:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts