2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the ‘How it works’ manual that came with my Civic, when you start the car with keyless entry, once you apply the foot brake, and change in to R or D (I have a CVT) the hand brake should release. This isn’t happening sometimes and leaves the handbrake on, forcing you to apply your foot to the brake and then manually release the hand brake using the switch.

Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve_m - thanks for the suggestion - that could well be it! I'll be more stringent with my seatbelt fastening habits and will see how it goes.

:smile3:

·
Super Moderator
21,007 Posts
There you go - told to belt up :laugh:

AFAIK you don't have to wear a belt when reversing so if you're reversing out of a driveway does it recognise reverse gear and remove the parking brake ?

·
Registered
871 Posts
No, you have to have seatbelt on for the car to automatically release the parking brake, otherwise you have to apply the foot brake to release the parking brake.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This opens up another question that doesn't appear clear to me from the user guide:

When you stop and put the car in P, is it just putting the transmission in to a 'tension point' that prevents it from rolling forward or backward, or is it applying the handbrake, or what?

·
Super Moderator
21,007 Posts
Never had any of this with the century old lever.

As I've posted before .....

Back in Sep 2009 when I collected my then new torque converter auto from Ruislip Honda, amongst other things they forgot to do or check, they forgot to anchor the floor mats.

As I pulled out of the parking bay the floor mat slid forwards and covered the pedals. I was able to pull the handbrake and bring the car to a stop. I knew what to do.

If I'd have had a new vehicle with a new strategy of applying the parking brake I reckon it would have ended up in a collision to stop the car rather than drift into the main road. That is unless the new strategy incorporates a big red button marked emergency stop or similar.

·
4,249 Posts
No. It's a switch that is located in approximately the same place on the centre console as where the 19th century handbrake would have been incorporated. There's another small advantage over your big 'age of steam' crobaresque lever is that at least it's on the drivers side of the console.:grin2:

·
Registered
871 Posts
With the old lever type there were problems with hot rollaway when the discs would cool and the car roll away, there were problems with the mechanical ratchet mechanism which ment the lever would drop and the car rolled away, this caused a couple of recalls on 8G, there is always the risk of other mechanical failure e.g cable snap/Calipers fail and there were also the 9G complaints about lever position and other layout issues.

All these issues can be addressed with Electric Parking Brake, so don’t fear the progress of technology

·
Super Moderator
21,007 Posts
:)

I'm sure my next car will likely be 'lever less' given the trend and job 1 will be to understand it before I drive off.

How to stop in traffic without constant brake lights dazzling matey behind will be on the training list as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
That would have been ideal. But sadly no. Brake hold dazzles your fellow drivers by having the lights on. He meant that brake hold should be off, which thankfully is the default, and you pull the ebrake button same as you would a lever hand brake.

·
Super Moderator
21,007 Posts
Exactly my point, it's all getting very complicated, brake hold, ebrake. I want to be considerate and not dazzle those behind.

It was all so easy. When parked leave it in gear or P depending on gearbox.

:(

·
4,249 Posts
So put the bloody handbrake on as is usual.
Even if you have brake hold on, then pulling the HB sets the HB and switches off the rear brake lights. You then just 'drive away' as the HB releases as soon as you start going.

·
4,249 Posts
It's a pull up/push down switch in the same place as the lever would normally be (not on the other side of the centre console either) . No huge muscle size increasing haul on it required. AND you don't even have to 'let it off', the car does that for you.:grin2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts