2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi!

Was the rear pads change a DIY job, or did you have a garage/dealer do it?

If you paid a garage to fix your brakes and your handbrake isn't holding properly, I think you have a right to take it back and ask them to fix it at no extra cost to you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi!

Was the rear pads change a DIY job, or did you have a garage/dealer do it?

If you paid a garage to fix your brakes and your handbrake isn't holding properly, I think you have a right to take it back and ask them to fix it at no extra cost to you.
There a adjustment screw in the centre console open the lid you find a plastic cover on it you need a deep impact socket to adjust

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,115 Posts
be carefull adjusting the hanbrake so it really good can make the footbrake too low it fails the mot
read up and adjust correctly
my handbrake isnt that good in real life but car just sailed through mot with no advisorys at all
not bad for a 11 year old car with over 170000 miles on the clock

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Holy necromancy batman!

A cheeky thread revival for an inane question; does anyone know what type of handbrake mechanism is used on the 9th Gen? I've been trying to fathom out if it's a drum affair, or connected directly to the calliper with cable actuation; I'm guessing the latter, given the impact of a pad change as above?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I changed my rear pads recently which involves winding back the piston in the caliper.

Once the new pads are fitted the handbrake should self adjust, after half a dozen uses everything was back to normal and the piston winds itself back in as the handbrake is used.

The adjustment under the handbrake lever gaiter is only to adjust the cable, not the brakes themselves. Do NOT try and adjust the handbrake if it was OK before you changed the pads

1 - 8 of 8 Posts