2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why have they put the handbrake on the wrong side on the 9G-it is ofset towards the passenger side if you look at the pictures in the Wiki. On the current civc it is ofset towards the driver and falls easily to hand.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
The handbrake is positioned the furthest from the driver because Euro NCAP regulations state that in an emergency the passenger must have the ability to apply the handbrake.

Ive been in a couple of situations where i've narrowly avoid driving into the back of buses at roundabouts.. screaming to a halt in a cloud of tyre smoke simply because the person in the passenger was ignorant. They even had the nerve to laugh at me when i said that it was their fault we nearly died.

Just because they're a passenger doesn't mean they can't help out in near-death situations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't buy that-both the latest Focus and the BMW 1 series launched last month have the handbrake ofset towards the driver like our current Civics so it can't be that.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Honda actually began implementing this change long before it became compulsary. This is a 2004 S2000:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's obviously not compulsory yet as both Ford and BMW have designed the handbrake location with the driver in mind not some europrat sat in Brussels!
Do you know when it becomes compulsory?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I was driving my sisters Qashqui over the weekend, and found it very very strange having the handbrake on the wrong side!

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
Interesting reading your replies, as both the Focus's I had as hire cars recently, had the handbrake nearer the passenger seat than the driver...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I reckon its more to do with where the cars will be sold. Do Honda plan to build more LHD than RHD models I wonder and can't be arsed to have 'handed parts' ? I bet its to benefit our European/American friends

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
I reckon its to do with the fact that the pics you've seen are all mock ups or reversed images for press info etc. wait until the car i physical and then see.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Katsock must have driven a 2nd generation Focus as a hire car as the 3rd generation 2011 Focus has the handbrake ofset towards the driver.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
I think the farce that i made up is much closer to the truth.. what other reason can there be? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I was driving my sisters Qashqui over the weekend, and found it very very strange having the handbrake on the wrong side!
My 06 350z has it on the passenger side

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Have a look at a Citroen C8, (& Peugeot 806): the handbrake is between the driver and the door.
Right hand drive vehicles have right hand operated handbrake, and left hand drive vehicles left hand. They are real nightmare to drive.
Reason is that the handbrake linkage is levered from the side, so they're poor handbrakes in addition. I don't know why it can't go down the middle.
(Apologies, a little off-thread, but the pasenger certainly could not help here.)

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
The handbrake is positioned the furthest from the driver because Euro NCAP regulations state that in an emergency the passenger must have the ability to apply the handbrake.

Ive been in a couple of situations where i've narrowly avoid driving into the back of buses at roundabouts.. screaming to a halt in a cloud of tyre smoke simply because the person in the passenger was ignorant. They even had the nerve to laugh at me when i said that it was their fault we nearly died.

Just because they're a passenger doesn't mean they can't help out in near-death situations.
What??

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
That's a very vague question to quite a large amount of quoted words..

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
the uk s2000 has the same set up rhd, (passenger side h'brake).The 8th gen is on the driver side. Only the current Accord has it nearer the driver, the jazz and insight are set in the middle

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Yeehhh - it dumbfounded me as well ! ...

The passenger is somehow responsible for helping with an emergency stop ? - rubbish :facepalm: ...

Effort exerted on rear wheels : by handbrake = 'X' : by footbrake = (perhaps) '10X' \ '20X'? ...

Passenger acccess to the handbrake would only be relevant in (say) the case of a parked car, without driver, starting to roll off ...

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
Complete rubbish. Yes. All made up. Obviously :rolleyes:

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Complete rubbish. Yes. All made up. Obviously :rolleyes:
Yeeppp - you have a powerful imagination ...

When you brake (using the pedal) the servo-assisted hydraulic mechanism exerts a force on the rear pads, many-many times that of anyone pulling the handrake and tensioning a wire cable ...

Therefore, absolutely no point in applying the handbrake if the servo system is functioning ...

And if the servo brakes failed, the driver would be the first to know it, and he \ she would be the one pulling on the handbrake ...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts