2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (less than 5,000 miles) EX has just been pulled away from a lampost having released it's handbrake seconds after we were walking away from it.

We parked on a slope in our town centre, the kids were on the pavement waiting whilst we obtained our car parking ticket. I then placed the ticket in the car, locked up.

As we were walking up the slope into the town centre we heard a bang, looked round and there was our car impaled on a lamp post!

Please watch out folks this may or may not have been the second incident of this happening. I know I put the brake on hard as I had read the earlier post last year.

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
You put the handbrake on Hard O.k
but obviously you did not leave the car in gear

I am amazed at the amount of people who do not know
they should leave their cars in 1st gear or Reverse
despending on which way you are parked on an incline or hill

This way if the brake fails the car still won't move

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its an automatic reaction to always leave my car in gear. I'd never trust a hand-brake to take the entire weight of my car!

You can always feel any car moving slightly when the hand-brake is applied on a hill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is my normal practice to put it into gear and follow the practice of pointing the wheels towards the kerb which is why the car struck the lampost in the middle of the car.

I cannot remember making sure the car was in gear. What I can say is that I was stood outside the car for almost 5 minutes before the car moved as I had to wait for the wife who had gone for the ticket.

There appear to have been a number of instances reported on this and other forums of the handbrake failing in this manner.

I know my insurance company will follow this up and will be contacting Honda about it.

My own loss is small (pride and £100), but the upset at the children not getting their Pizzahut is another matter!

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
It is my normal practice to put it into gear and follow the practice of pointing the wheels towards the kerb which is why the car struck the lampost in the middle of the car.

I cannot remember making sure the car was in gear. What I can say is that I was stood outside the car for almost 5 minutes before the car moved as I had to wait for the wife who had gone for the ticket.

There appear to have been a number of instances reported on this and other forums of the handbrake failing in this manner.

I know my insurance company will follow this up and will be contacting Honda about it.

My own loss is small (pride and £100), but the upset at the children not getting their Pizzahut is another matter!
You're right ! I have lived the same (without the Pizza Hut problem) Minor scratch to my car but first one, minor scratch a my dad hose wall, and never had such a problem with any car before. Yet I verify twice that handbreak is tighten up and that a gear is in...

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
The brakes are hot when you apply the handbrake and as the disc and pads cool they shrink slightly and can lose some of their grip. Women apply the handbrake with less force than a man, hence the reason my daughters car suddenly rolled away from the front of our house (she neither left it in gear nor turned the wheels into the kerb). My wife always complains she needs two hands to release it if I've driven the car before her.

Sorry to here of your problem, but I doubt your insurance company will get anywhere with Honda as this is a widely known occurrence. :(

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Is this a manual or an i-shift ?

I'm never convinced my i-shift is parked in gear - how do you check?

I asume that it stays in the gear I last used?

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Mine is an i-Shift. I select 1st just before switching off the ignition. I tested that it worked by releasing the handbrake whilst I covered the footbrake - just in case! Held with no problem. It should work in all cars as the i-Shift has a standard gearbox and clutch, it's just that the computer operates the clutch and gears for you in auto. That's a point, I didn't test it if I was to just leave the car in auto when I switched off. I'll try that next time I go out.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
As a follow-up; I tested stopping on a hill and switching off whilst leaving my car in Auto and it held without having to apply the hand brake. Normally, of course, I would apply the hand brake first.

In future I shall just leave the car in Auto when I switch off, that way it becomes a habit and there's less chance of forgetting on an incline.

·
Registered
975 Posts
u got me paranoid i now leave it in gear

·
Nneeaawwwwwwww
443 Posts
Yep me too. I never ever have left my car in gear when I park - think I will be from now on though!

·
Registered
79 Posts
There shouldn't be any need to fly forward, its just second nature for me to start the car with the clutch pressed - this minimises any chance of it being in gear.

It also 'supposidly' puts less strain on the engine when starting etc.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
There shouldn't be any need to fly forward, its just second nature for me to start the car with the clutch pressed - this minimises any chance of it being in gear.

It also 'supposidly' puts less strain on the engine when starting etc.

But after 24 years of driving without leaving my car in gear its hard to get in the habit, and I have never started the engine with my foot on the clutch so as I say its hard to remember :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
My cousin has been in the motor trade all his working life, first as a mechanic, then had his own garage. He tells me some of the previous model Civics had a problem with the handbrake releasing.
He says another option to apply the handbrake , is to press the footbrake firmly, this will give you another "notch" on the handbrake.
Of course, leaving it in gear on a steep hill, is a belt & braces method. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is obiously a problem with the handbrake of this car

see this http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4222

Two days ago we had another episode fo these in the Spanish forum with serious results for the car and another car that was parked near. It is a fault of the owner for not leave a gear on but also a fault of Honda for not making a safe handbrake. I know of no other car in which so many people has complained about the handbrake.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
This handbrake problem has been around for many years and with different makes of car. I can remember the first Xantia's being recalled for this very problem.

The ingenious recall fix for Citroen was to replace the handbrake lever ratchet with a modified version so that you had to pull the handbrake up very hard because they removed all the lower ratchet positions!

I just guessing but it seems to be something that has happened since we had handbrakes working disc brakes as opposed to drum brakes ?

Sounds like there is a part of the assembly that contracts enough for this to happen?

I use the American method to apply the handbrake - always give it a good 'yank'.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
If I do remember correctly, on the first cars with disk brakes they where also equiped with drumbrakes at the rear wheels for handbrakes... Was it on Bmw I'm not sure ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts