2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the other quite long thread on handbrake failure but thought I would start a new one just to warn any newbies to the site. Today my handbrake failed right outside my house. I got out of the car, got something out of the boot and went indoors. When I went out again about 10 mins later my car had rolled back about 10 metres into a street sign and has caused quite a lot of damage to the rear bumper and undertray and also bent the street sign.

My immediate thought was that I hadn't put the handbrake on, as it was now in the fully down position, but on thinking about it I realised that I must have put it on as I was at the back of the car for a good few seconds getting stuff out of the boot. When I replicated the incident by parking up again and taking the handbrake off, the car started to roll back straight away, confirming by thoughts.

I have read the other threads about handbrake failure and decided that it isn't worth the bother of even contacting Honda about this as it is clearly an intermittent fault that they probably wouldn't be able to find. I have played with the handbrake and it is possible to 'knock' it off by 'flicking' the button, so I will get it looked at when I get it serviced.

Funnily enough, I give my kids stick for not parking in gear as I usually do so myself, but obviously not on this occasion. The insurance company will sort out the financial damage both to the car and the street sign but this is a lesson to us all, especially me!!!

:( :( :(

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
I have to say that I have paid close attentionto the Handbrake everytime I have applied it after reading some of the issues posted and it has not given any cause for concern -this post may or may not affect Newbies Looking at the date you joined I guess you have a 56 plate or 06 plate car it does seem as if there has been an issue with the handbrake on a handfull of cars which is strange ( considering the Shocks issue on early car and the fuel cap issue seems to have affected quite a lot of cars)

Was the car on a slope ? ( if so it should have been in gear aswell as the handbrake on)

What Mileage has the car done?

What has the dealer had to say?

·
King of the rodeo
4,826 Posts
My driveway is on a slope, on occasion I have heard the car creaking and trying to move as I get out at which point I just apply it more firmly. I don't believe it would fail though. I also never park the car in gear (should get into the habit, but I always forget its in gear when I start the car and fly forwards!).

·
Registered
49 Posts
My driveway is on a slope, on occasion I have heard the car creaking and trying to move as I get out at which point I just apply it more firmly.
Isn't that just because the front and rear wheels are longer apart when the car is loaded due to the rear suspension with torsion bars.

Had the same creaking when the passengers got out of my old Peugeot 206 when parked in gear and the hand brake engaged. The cars have the same type of rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This 'failure' I believe is caused by the ratchet system not engaging properly. I think what happens is the pin that locks into the teeth can on occaision rest on the 'peak' of a tooth rather than in the 'trough' between the teeth. This will allow the brake to slip off the edge of the tooth.

I came to this conclusion when I did my normal tug on the brake after applying it, before before leaving the car. I felt the catching pin slip off the edge of a tooth into it's proper position between the teeth. From the position, I can see it would have been easy for the brake to slip either into the applied and locked position, or to realease it.

A fault of the brake? Possibly, but not really. But easily avoidable by a quick tug to ensure it has locked into postion properly.

If leaving the car on a hill, always leave the car in gear, just in case. With any car!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I always thought that creak was due to the load changing on the car... Every single car I have driven does the same...

·
King of the rodeo
4,826 Posts
I hear ya bungle, but the creak happens when I physically push the car forward and is the same noise you hear when a recovery truck is dragging a car onto it's load bay (with handbrake engaged).

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
I was always taught never to leave a car parked in gear - any truth behind this?
Eh??

if parked on a hill parking brake should be applied and car should be
left in in First Gear or reverse ( or park if automatic) as a secondry
brake

It even tells you to do this in Owners manuals

never been told not to

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
This has happened to me also, my drive does slope away and after a recent trip to the supermarket the wife screamed "The car's rolling down the drive", i was sure i'd put the handbrake on....i now religously put the car in gear everytime i park up.

·
Bournemouth Belle
900 Posts
I never used to leave the car in gear but am now trying to get into the habit.
I normally test the brake by pushing down on it - and a couple of times it has 'given way' so to speak. I always double check it now - my drive has a minimal slope but has a tree overlapping it and the car would prob hit it with my luck. Better safe than sorry!!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Theres a few small children who play in the cul de sac, i suppose we where extremely fortunate because the curb on the other side of the road had stopped the car..not me:(

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Strange how people that say the civic is perfect are now religiously checking handbrakes and no doubt for other potential problems!! And doing something they have never done before - leaving the car in gear (just in case)!!!!

I had done a few thousand miles before of my car developed some of the problems, even the fuel filler cap one and condensation in lights.

I now check my handbrake, my fog lights, my alloys and and paintwork on a regular basis. Forgot what it is like to just jump in a car and drive without giving it a second thought.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Although it appears that there may be an oddity with the handbrake release mechanism, it is wise, no essential, to leave any car with rear disc brakes in gear when you leave it. Not doing so is just asking for the day that the rear discs cool and the already rather poor handbrake system that disc brakes offer becomes very poor and your car is on the move.

Because I sometimes am not sure whether a car has rear discs (endless nasty hire cars) I just leave every car in gear when parked up. Does no harm, and lots of good.

·
Bournemouth Belle
900 Posts
Not just on this car - my husband always nags me for not putting it in gear :oops:

Stupid thing is that I always check the car is not in gear before I start it and he always says why?? - you don't leave it in gear!! So now I've got to remember to leave it in gear..... if you get my drift.....

I've always checked the handbrake on all cars but never had one 'give' before.

And I am not religiously checking for problems either - apart from the recall for the shocks and the filler cap I have no problems with the car and am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
been driving for waaaaaay too many years, and have always made a point of parking in gear when I leave a car on a slope.

don't always remember, as I don't bother on the flat, and so far I've gotten away with it...

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Not just on this car - my husband always nags me for not putting it in gear :oops:

Stupid thing is that I always check the car is not in gear before I start it and he always says why?? - you don't leave it in gear!! So now I've got to remember to leave it in gear..... if you get my drift.....

I've always checked the handbrake on all cars but never had one 'give' before.

And I am not religiously checking for problems either - apart from the recall for the shocks and the filler cap I have no problems with the car and am very happy with it.
Sorry Lippy I wasnt specifically pointing my finger at you and I wasn;t just referring to this thread, I have read on others about people checking things with the civic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are all correct regarding leaving the car in gear. I used to have a Carlton that had a handbrake attached to a separate disc on the back axle. For some reason it needed major tightening every year as it just seemed to fade over time. Lucky it was an automatic so I always left it in P.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts