2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Silent Assassin
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The plastic surrounding on my handbrake has snapped.

As you can see from the photo, its snapped in a position where nothing can really damage it, so not sure what has caused this.

Would it be classed as wear and tear, or would it be covered under warranty?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Never known this type of failure before. Not a wear and tear I would expect to happen. Go to the dealer and make a warrenty claim, but be prepared for them to argue differently as some dealers dont like to accept warrenty issues.

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
Never known this type of failure before. Not a wear and tear I would expect to happen. Go to the dealer and make a warrenty claim, but be prepared for them to argue differently as some dealers dont like to accept warrenty issues.
why not?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
It's worth trying to claim it on warrenty. Depends on the dealer I suppose.

Some might do it, others would just say you yanked on it too hard or something and will have to pay up.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Warranty Claims are a Dealerships bread and butter jobs.
They won't turn you away, if they think it is a manufacturing fault.
After all - Honda UK will pay them to fix it for you if the claim is accepted.
Go show it to your friendly Dealership.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The same thing happened to my handbrake casing yesterday, did you get yours sorted Windlepoons? :(

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
Why would a dealer not want a warranty issue???? :confused:

They get paid from Honda to do the warranty work, obviously a preferential Labour rate, but it revenue to a Garrage?? and they a chance to make a customer?

They may not be able to do certain jobs , like where acustomer says it under waranty but Honda wont pay the dealer to do it ... wear and tear then a customer can percieve they dont do waranty work... but who would if they dont get paid??:popcorn2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
This happened to me. The plastic can't be replaced on its own. Either tape it up or you'll need a new hand brake lever mechanism.
I bought the handbrake and fitted myself

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Mine has snapped the exact same way as in the photo. Superglued it and it held for a week, but the lower section has come a little loose again, so going to give it another try.

Not confident to fit a replacement one :(

It seems the design of the handbrake has a weakness where the plastic becomes thin. It's a shame there are no alternatives to the OEM handbrake.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It's not hard to replace. Two screws at the rear of the centre console (arm rest) and two at the front of it. It then pulls out. The handbrake lever is then a matter of (if memory serves) about 3 bolts to take off and replace.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Just a reminder that the handbrake was subject to a recall in the early days for a problem where it could release by itself.

If your handbrake snaps its always worth checking that the recall was done as if it wasn't then you can get it replaced.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Hello! Sorry to bump up an old thread but the search revealed that someone had inevitably had exactly the problem that I'm facing with my car: the end of the plastic hand brake surround is broken off. Just like the picture in the OP.

I tried fixing it with a 2-part expoxy glue, which held briefly - but of course the black parts on the lever are a flexible, rubbery plastic and not ideal for glue to stay glued to. Is a replacement OEM lever only available from Honda themselves, or are there other sources I should know about?

Thanks.

Oh, also. I will check to see if the hand brake recall was done on this car because who knows?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
My handbrake is the same, just got some loctite super glue (brush on) and stuck it back down, comes loose after a couple of months but i can live with that apart from that never had problem with car, now done 50,000 miles after getting it on 13,000 miles

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I've got same issue, found it snapped about a week ago and did not even realise when it happened. The top rubber grip of the handbrake came off many months ago and was going to glue it back on but got lost!

Is the handbrake £45 from the dealers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts