2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do wonder if some of these problems people have been complaining of in the 1.8 are just in first gear. It's actually geared very differently from other cars I have driven. I find myself wanting second gear almost immediately as it's tough to get a smooth pull ... almost like it is too eager. Second is a lot more refined, and I realised this week how early I'm changing up to second.

Maybe it's down to the way I press the pedal, shoes, etc? Who knows.

Anyone got any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
It is a bit sensitive in the pedal department - how high up the pedal is the ball of your foot? How far away from the base of the pedal is your heel? The Civ has the best throttle pedal type (often refered to as an "organ grinder") and you can get the best control and good heel-toes using this type, but your foot does need to go "up" the pedal.

I often wonder if some of those who have had difficulty controling the power accurately have had their foot pressing the pedal somewhere near the bottom.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my foot well up the pedal, but tend to use the carpet to the right of it to rest my foot and then lever off that a little. Hard to describe. Doing a full heel-to-floor thing doesnt seem to make any difference to me.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
basegreen said:
I do wonder if some of these problems people have been complaining of in the 1.8 are just in first gear. It's actually geared very differently from other cars I have driven. I find myself wanting second gear almost immediately as it's tough to get a smooth pull ... almost like it is too eager. Second is a lot more refined, and I realised this week how early I'm changing up to second.

Maybe it's down to the way I press the pedal, shoes, etc? Who knows.

Anyone got any thoughts?
I have also noticed the same, too few revs and the car seems as if it is going to stall, a little bit more and it goes off like a scalded cat and you need to find second quick. Must be something to to do with the power/torque curve of the 1.8 engine.

Regarding the pink boots - I hope you don't drive in them :wink:

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
vTecs have been all about high revs. If you want to have good performance that is.
For better economy it's obviously better if you change up sooner.

And as for the boots I'm glad that the rest of that person was left for imagination. :?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copycat said:
vTecs have been all about high revs. If you want to have good performance that is.
For better economy it's obviously better if you change up sooner.

And as for the boots I'm glad that the rest of that person was left for imagination. :?
Hi Revs are fine... however first is geared/set such that it's very difficult to apply the throttle smoothly in real life situations (ie not going for a fast start).. I'd gladly lose a bit off the 0-60 time to get a more refined drive in first.

As I say, you just learn to leave first as soon as you can - 2nd is pretty forgiving and still pulls strongly if needed.

Is this something that could be adjusted with an ECU update?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts