2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Is your HFT working as expected

• SatNav option (modified mic) and working well

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No SatNav and not working properly

Votes: 0 0.0%

Hands Free Telephone - Is it working properly?

Phone 
10K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Pingu 
#1 ·
In view of some of the reactions here, I thought it would be a good idea to find out if there are any working HFTs out there. If so, the problem is more interesting than I suspect.

In any case, the information should help Honda in finding a solution

#4 ·
Sorry to pick you up on this, but you are incorrect in your statement. There are at least 8 of us. :wink:

Milano Red 7% ( 8 ) 8) 8) 8)
Alabaster Silver Metallic 9% ( 10 )
Nighthawk Black Pearl 29% ( 31 )
Royal Blue Pearl 3% ( 4 )
Vivid Blue Pearl 4% ( 5 )
Cosmic Grey Pearl 13% ( 14 )
Blueish Silver Metallic 5% ( 6 )
Galaxy Grey Metallic 21% ( 23 )
Champagne Silver Metallic 3% ( 4 )

Total Votes : 105
Okay so it might not all be a quote from the colour poll.

#6 ·
What's the reason for having a 'i do not have HFT' on the poll? The only people who can have any problems (or not) have got the system.

It's like thos telehone polls you get on TV, where they have options for yes and no, and one for 'don't know'. Who would cast a vote if they have no real opinion? That has been something that has always baffled me.... :?

With regards for the HFT system, if Honda do come up with a fix, will all the DIY ones some of you have done cause a warranty problem?

#8 ·
Hi,

I don't know who put a vote for SatNav option (as supplied) and working well, but it would be really helpful if you could post some information about your car - date supplied, model, HFT type etc. - and your experience with the HFT.

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this problem (as I hope Honda do too), so information about working Satnav based HFTs where you don't have to shout to be heard would be great, as it may be possible to identify differences from out faulty ones.

Thanks.

#9 ·
kan2 said:
when you say not working properly, i think you may need to clarify as to whether it is completely not working, or that the reception isnt as good as thought.
I was really trying to get a feel for whether the HFT problem is universal or only on some cars, and if owners are generally satisfied or otherwise with its performance. Perhaps I should have defined the questions more precisely.

I would say that if the phone pairs with the car's Bluetooth, connects calls without problem, and you can carry out a normal conversation without using the handset, then it is functioning correctly.

In my case, the phone pairs perfectly and connects calls perfectly. I can hear incoming calls with ease.

However, when I make a call the person at the other end cannot hear me unless I shout. That is with the microphone gain set to a very high level (much higher than is needed for voice control to work). At its original level, I could not be heard at all. This (and only this) is the reason why I describe my HFT as not working properly.

#10 ·
I think you are right to ask the question AncientNerd, although I suspect there is a level of apathy on the matter. I previously suggested those with an issue send me a PM with the nature of the problem as I seemed to be the only one actively having dialogue with Honda CS on this, I received 4 replies (you were amongst the AC and I thank you for that) it seems the 4 of you who contacted me all complained of the level of background noise compared to the drivers voice, as if you were a long way from the microphone, I suspect fixing this situation will solve any hands free operatin issues also.

Is there a better way to actually correlate the information, there are a few of us with our own private crusade, if we can organise this better and as you say look to find out more specifics it will only help our cause rather than half a dozen of us bombarding Honda with the issue.

Perhaps we should have something similar to the insurance and previous car links.

1. Approx age of car, date collected.
2. Phone being used.
3. Network.
4. Brief description of HFT issue.
5. Is it only the HFT or the total hands free operation.
6. Does the problem get better or worse when travelling at speed.
7. Does the quality of road surface affect the quality of call.
8. How do you get round the problem.

Any thoughts? Any additions or omissions?

#11 ·
richierich,

I agree very much with your comments. One thing that has come out so far is that there are two people who are satisfie with the performance of their HFT. Unfortunately, neither has (yet) give any details. It would be really helpful if they would do this. Nevertheless, the proportion is still heavily on the side of those with problems.

As you suggest, getting details would be very helpful. Any other information could go in the decription bit..

Anyway, to start the ball rolling:

1. April 2006
2. Nokia N70
3. T-Mobile
4. Everything works exactly as described except that I get complaints from the people I talk to on the phone that I am faint, or distant and barely audible. This is despite the fact that I have increased the microphone gain, and shout directly at the microphone. This works for very short conversations only, anything longer is impossible.
5. Phone is worst. Voice control is very poor at speed, and is less than perfect at any speed.
6. Worse with speed, presumably because of the increased ambient noise, but not drastically so.
7. I haven't noticed, but also I guess, worse because of the ambient noise.
8. If it is likely to be more than a very short call, I have to stop the car and call back using the handset. HFT is unusable at any speed.

Finally, if this problem is not resolved in a relatively short time, I think that I will bill my dealer for installing a working bluetooth HFT system of comparable quality. Also, for the cost of travel to/from dealer, cost of letters etc. (I believe £20 per letter is perfectly acceptable in a Small Claims Court. Much as I don't want to do it (I'd much rather have a working system), it would put a little more feeling into the dealer's contact with Honda on the issue. They are not exactly pushing themselves as far as I can see, and faced with something they can't win ther is some incentive.

A few of these should also encourage Honda no end.

#12 ·
1. Approx age of car, date collected. July 2006
2. Phone being used. Nokia 6310i
3. Network. Orange
4. Brief description of HFT issue. Poor voice operation, poor microphone pick up quality, OK received audio
5. Is it only the HFT or the total hands free operation. All voice operation functions are poor/useless at speed as well as HFT
6. Does the problem get better or worse when travelling at speed. Worse with noise level (speed, fan, mainly)
7. Does the quality of road surface affect the quality of call. Not sure, but I suspect so as part of general noise level
8. How do you get round the problem. Don't use voice control, rarely 'make' calls, keep received calls as short as possible and call back when stationary, when it works OK if quiet background noise level.

I am pretty convinced that the fundamantal problem is that the microphone pics up too much noise, and not enough 'voice'. This is partly because it is sited in a bad place, and possibly inadequately isolated accoustically from the body, hence picks up noise and vibration through its mounts as well as from the airborne cabin noise. In high noise environments, the microphone should be as close the the users mouth as reasonably possible.

#13 ·
i have the hands free working perfectly. i think it may be because i am usually on 30 mph roads, and very rarely use it on the motorway. i have as of yet not found any reasons to file a complaint. ive had people say its quiet but no worse than any other bluetooth headset. i would be happy to answer any questions. im using a nokia n80 on orange and have the sat nav and hft installed on a 1.8ex. ive had the car for just over a month now.

#14 ·
Interesting so far, although a sample of four is a little less than conclusive!

All three with problems have the i-CTDI diesel, whereas the one without problems is an i-VTEC. I know the diesel is a bit noisier, but I have the problem when stationary at tickover so I don't believe it's just that.

Is there something different about the diesel, or is this an experimental error?

#16 ·
I drive a 1.8 Sport, so I'm the one who voted "No SatNav and working well"

I had "Nokia Advanced Car Kit CK-7W" installed by the dealer. My phone is a Nokia N70 and no problems whatsoever so far.
Only thing is they didn't plug in the cable that mutes the stereo. They said it was too much work and not really worth dismantling so much of the car. :roll:

Easy to use and neatly installed. Voice recognition works ok too.

#17 ·
Thanks Copycat.

I think you made a wise choice. I am very close to getting something like that installed in my EX and billing my dealer for it.

I did much the same with my last Renault Laguna, when Renault insisted that although they had specified TMC on the SatNav, it didn't work in the UK. What they omitted to say was that the reason it didn't work in the UK was that Renault hadn't paid the licence fee to use it. I bought a third party CD with TMC data and got a refund from Renault for that and the free standing TrafficMaster system that I had bought to stand on the dash. Renault footed the bill - as they should do, because they specified something that just didn't work as intended, because of a deliberate decision on their part. At least the HFT thing looks like a msitake, rather than a deliberate decision.

#18 ·
1. April 2006
2. Sony Ericsson T610
3. Virgin Mobile
4. Have to speak loudly to be heard. Person on recieving end complains that there is a lot of background noise. Above 60mph, forget it!
5. Both HFT and voice recognition are poor on the move
6. Worse at speed
7. Road quality make a difference. Rough roads lead to high road noise.
8. Slowing down makes a difference as does speaking loudly or shouting, but that's not cool or clever when demo'ing the system for a passenger!

I'm considering doing the mod myself, but feel Honda should be sorting this out rather than me. Another call to Honda CS today about the problem and all I got was more denial that there was a problem :cry:

#19 ·
hartside,

If CS are denying it, you should insist on speaking to their supervisor. The agent is not doing their job properly. It sounds like the response I got from the first woman I spoke to.

Mind you, CS is on an 0845 number, so it probably pays them (in the short term) to have to keep ringing them back

#20 ·
I suppose its my turn.

1. Approx age of car, date collected.

April 2006

2. Phone being used.

Nokia 6822 & Sony Ericcson Z600

3. Network.

Vodafone & O2 respectively

4. Brief description of HFT issue.

Poor audio reception for 3rd party, sounds like I am "distant", background noise is high

5. Is it only the HFT or the total hands free operation.

At speed voice commands can take one or two goes to get correct, voice dialling is hard

6. Does the problem get better or worse when travelling at speed.

Worse, a lot worse

7. Does the quality of road surface affect the quality of call.

Definately.

8. How do you get round the problem.

I find myself leaning over the car and almost shouting up to the microphone, it kind of works, but when you are shouting at customers you sound aggresive, and thats no good thing. Thought about messing with the mic level in the diagnostic menu, but as no-one at Honda seems to know what to play with figured best left alone.

#21 ·
Here's my contribution. As you will will see, I haven't yet got to the stage where I can judge the quality of the sound as I can't use my HFT to make or receive calls

1. Approx age of car, date collected. July 2006
2. Phone being used. Sony Ericsson W800i
3. Network. Vodafone
4. Brief description of HFT issue. Phone will pair up via Bluetooth but all calls (in and out) are automatically transferred to the phone handset
5. Is it only the HFT or the total hands free operation. Haven't really used the HF system much but the few times have had some strange responses
6. Does the problem get better or worse when travelling at speed. worse
7. Does the quality of road surface affect the quality of call. not sure
8. How do you get round the problem. haven't managed to do so as yet - just don't use it

Have only had the car for just over a week now and once my pranged door is sorted out then I'll be looking into this a bit more. I haven't contacted Honda CS yet as my dealer said I'd be getting a courtesy call from them to see if I was a satisfied customer, so I've been hanging on for that. I think I'll make the first move if it doesn't happen in the next few days.

#22 ·
glh1508 said:
I haven't contacted Honda CS yet as my dealer said I'd be getting a courtesy call from them to see if I was a satisfied customer, so I've been hanging on for that. I think I'll make the first move if it doesn't happen in the next few days.
Don't wait. They are just getting customer responses. If anything is wrong, they'll make sympathetic noises and suggest you contact your dealer.

It may have a long term effect on Honda, but it won't resolve your problem

#23 ·
1. Approx age of car, date collected. April 2006
2. Phone being used. Samsung D500
3. Network. Virgin , which is interesting in this context as it uses all the other networks so as I have never had the HFT work correctly then it suggests that this is not a network specific problem.
4. Brief description of HFT issue. Phone calls fine as a recipient but all people I speak to say that they can barely hear me and that I sound like I am in a warehouse! Voice commands are hit and miss and so unreliable that I rarely use them . This is the only annoyance on what is otherwise the best car I have ever owned. Honda are letting themselves down on this.
5. Is it only the HFT or the total hands free operation. Voice commands are often non-sensical having nothing to do with the intended command or have changed the language!
6. Does the problem get better or worse when travelling at speed. Marginally worse as it is more difficult to lean over the passenger and bellow at the microphone when driving!
7. Does the quality of road surface affect the quality of call. No useless on all surfaces
8. How do you get round the problem. Do not use it. Honda really does need to sort this out as I would recommend the car heartily to any driver except those who need to use HFT i.e. business users. Do Honda really want to exclude these from their customer base? :?:

#24 ·
Come on now, 19 of us have clicked the poll to say that they have it and it doesn't work, yet as I see it only half a dozen or so people have gone into any detail.

Do we assume that there are another dozen who have the issue but don't want to stand up and be counted. It would be nice to get the thoughtd of even those of you who have done your own fix, after all there was a reason you needed to do the fix in the first place.

#25 ·
1. Approx age of car, date collected. April 06
2. Phone being used. K750i
3. Network. O2
4. Brief description of HFT issue. Have to shout when at speed.
5. Is it only the HFT or the total hands free operation. All.
6. Does the problem get better or worse when travelling at speed. Worse.
7. Does the quality of road surface affect the quality of call. Not sure.
8. How do you get round the problem. Made it better by swapping the mic over, then moving it closer to the grill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.