2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big day has come and gone - last Friday I picked up my new 1.8 EX I-SHIFT (Galaxy Grey).

Although I didn't get chance to use it much on Friday and was out all day Saturday watching England get tanked at Lords, I have still managed to put on just over 300 miles so I'd like to share some early impressions with you.

Positive:

Well, most of it to be fair! The car looks superb (though we all know that anyway) and I couldn't see anything wrong with the outward appearance - no dents, scratches, missing tyres etc.. I drove up to Cambridgeshire from Sussex - using the M23, M25 :x and the A1 (a round trip of about 250 miles) and found it to be a great drive.

Although I didn't really push the car - after all it is brand new - she coasted happily enough at 80/90 mph and was nowhere near as loud as I was led to believe she might be. Other than the HFT and the ambient lighting (see below) everything worked ok. What I was really impressed with was the ergonomics - everything seemed just plain right. It's different from a test drive, this time the car is yours and if you don't like something then it will bug you. Equally if you get what you paid for then prepare for a nice smug smile of satisfaction. Suffice to say I sepnt the day with a Cheshire cat sized grin!

Another thing I really like is people's reaction. Not everyone I met liked the styling - some thought it was quite ugly (strange I know). But they all thought it was different and fresh. Beat that Lexus!

Negative:

Early days I know but I couldn't get the HFT to work reliably. Some times it wouldn't pair up automatically, occassionally the sound doesn't come through the speakers, and always when I end a call - either using the phone or the car to disconnect - I lose the pairing and have to re-set up or walk away from the car (bummer if you're on the M25!). My dealer has, to my mind, been excellent in trying to help - even calling me when he had finished work and coming round in his own time. He should be talking to Honda today to sort it out. Let's see!

Also, I had hoped that the ambient lighting would be better - it seems very wishy washy until a door is opened and then it comes on to what I would call 'properly'. Maybe it's supposed to be like that but I'm a bit disappointed for the extra money it cost.

Other than that, a complete (if early) triumph! I am a happy man :D :D .

Just one more thing though - the manual is 502 (yes, five hundred and two) pages long. Now that's more than a lot of novels and far less interesting. Make sure you listen to what your dealer is saying whe he hands the car over - otherwise you could spend an awful lonmg time trying to decipher (or find!) the relevant part of the book.

Happy motoring - I'm off to test out the Sat Nav. Should be in Poland by tea time! :lol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
cheers for that. a reminder of what I've got to look forward to (and what to watch out for) in my NHB i-VTEC (manual though) !!!!

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Glad you got it ok Denis :D

Strange set of HFT problems - what phone have you got?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
You had better read the SatNav manual thanksdenis before setting off, only another 100 or so pages if I remember correctly :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
there are certain people in here you can quote you the manual blindfolded :wink:

The good news is that half of it doesn't apply to you :)

20 odd pages of 'how to use the radio if you don't have sat nav'
20 odd pages of 'how to use the radi if you do have sat nav'

more pages on the how tos for dual zone climate / non dual zone

more pages on i-shift

it goes on... :D *

* yes, just like me sometimes :lol:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Every time i try to read the sat nav book it sends me to sleep lol. So doing it the old way and just play with it and see what happens.The nav system that is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TTDegs said:
Glad you got it ok Denis :D

Strange set of HFT problems - what phone have you got?
Nokia 6680 - nothing particularly flash but not over ancient either.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I have the same problem with my 6680! So it think it's the phone :( atleast the phone dropping after a call! I have sort of worked out a work round... once the Bluetooth connection is dropped push your button and say 'next phone' that seems to kick the HFT to scan your phone again

I am not to concerned as I don't make hundreds of calls from the phone and it's kinda due a refresh anyway

With a bit of testing it only seems to be with outgoing calls :???: very odd

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
...and I've just been sat in my garage in my Civic reading the Navigation manual by map light! Hey, but it's comfortable, quiet and no interruptions!! It was like a different World.:D

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
...and I've just been sat in my garage in my Civic reading the Navigation manual by map light! Hey, but it's comfortable, quiet and no interruptions!! It was like a different World.:D
And I'm another one who has read it by maplight, daylight and nightlight

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
yep - me too :oops:

sadly, I forgot most of it as soon as I had read it though...:oops: :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts