2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I noticed there are several electrical wizards on this forum so I was hoping to pick your brains :D

I want to wire my TomTom PC dock into my car to sit it on my dash as a more cosmetically appealing way of mounting/charging my TomTom. Of course I want the cables concealed and had the following plan:

I was thinking of running the USB cable down behind the head unit and out below the gear stick (where the lighter socket is). Now I know that the lighter socket is 12v so I cannot simply skin the USB cable and solder it to the internal workings of the lighter, can someone recommend the best way to connect it?

Would using this converter work if I was to solder on a female USB socket to one end and the other end to the lighter socket?

Alternatively would it be better for me to connect this straight into one of the spare fuses directly?

I am not particularly electrically minded so simple solutions would be greatly appreciated. Even if you could point me to a product which would satisfy my requirements that would be even better! Thanks!!

·
Quit yo Jibba Jabba
177 Posts
Can you just use a plug in adapter like this:

Halfords | TomTom USB Car Charger

That way your not hard wiring anything, that's an official TomTom one but you can get other ones much cheaper than that.

I've a Belkin adapter in my Cigarette lighter slot, I thought the one in the cubby hole was the same?

·
Quit yo Jibba Jabba
177 Posts
Bleugh, sorry actually just read your post properly...I see you want to have it hidden under the cigarette socket.

The box you've linked to seems ok in principle, is there room for it where you want to fit it though?

Going back to my previous post, did you consider running the cable to the cubby hole and using the socket in there?

·
-=SBZ=-
901 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going back to my previous post, did you consider running the cable to the cubby hole and using the socket in there?
Hi Griffin, where is this elusive 'cubby hole' where there is another socket?

Snowboundzero, thanks for those tips. Any info on how you wired in your snooper??

·
Quit yo Jibba Jabba
177 Posts
The arm rest in between the seats, mine has a power socket in it. Maybe that's not fitted to all models?

·
-=SBZ=-
901 Posts
Snowboundzero, thanks for those tips. Any info on how you wired in your snooper??
Just removed the centre console ( pretty easy) and piggy backed it onto the cigarette lighter.
The lighter head unplugs off the loom by a 2 prong plug so i connected 2 wires onto it and routed the wire up to the rear view mirror where the snooper is located.
Put the car back together and its been like that for months now.

Pretty easy task. The hardest part for you will be finding something that your happy with to step the voltage down.

I've even charged my phone while the snooper has been connected.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Griffiin - I have a Honda CD changer in my armrest so that might make this different to yours. I have not noticed a 12v socket in there too but I will take a closer look later!

Snowboundzero - would you say that this seems a good enough device to step down the voltage? Do you have any details on what wires you connected up from a USB cable to the 12v/5v stepper?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a Maplin variable voltage convertor stashed under my steering wheel cover bit. This is connected into the wiring going to the cigarrete lighter socket in the centre console. Have this set to 5v with a usb cable up to my phone on the right of the steering wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts