2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I got the dreaded clutch slip this week so took my 58 plate 2.2 type s to Honda to get 'inspected'

They came back saying they are submitting a warranty claim to honda whcih the did and honda agreed that it wasnt a wear and tear issue and will pay for parts but not labour which amounts to £500.

Im currently writing honda harrogate an email I just wondered if anyone could copy and paste there contact with honda if they have had to go down the same route so I could add it to my email today

Im already going to ask for itemised billing plus the insection report and honda confirmation of a none wear and tear issue.

P.S The car has only done 20k miles!!!

Please Help!

Danny

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is what I have wrote any help would be appreciated!

Dear Helen,

After speaking to David regarding the cost of having my clutch replaced I would like to pursue this further with Honda UK.

Please could you provide me with the following on collection of my car today.

The contact at Honda uk with whom you had correspondence with.

The reference number for this case.

The copy of the Email from yourselves to Honda uk stating that the clutch is a warranty claim.

An itemised invoice of the work carried out.

The old clutch and inspection report done by yourselves

While I will pay for the work carried out to my vehicle as I hold Honda responsible I will be pursuing Honda uk to recoup these costs through the legal route for the remainder including court action if necessary.

As I hold Honda responsible I will give notice to take action in the small claims court if the amount I pay today is not refunded within 10 working days under the sales of goods act 1979 which covers items for a period of 6 years if it fails within it's normal life as

a) The failure should be within the usual life of the item - certainly under 60,000 miles.
b) Not necessarily within three years.

I find this appalling behavior by Honda who proudly state on your website that Honda has reclaimed second place overall in the JD Power Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction Study.

Regards,
Danny Earl

·
Registered
716 Posts
Already stated in a previous post but quoting the sale of goods act is a clear indicator to them you know what the score is. I.E. they themselves have accepted it's not wear and tear. Therefore is it reasonable and accepted that a clutch may fail within the time period (also covered in the legislation)/ mileage of the vehicle?

If no then full cost of rectification should be firmly with Honda.

*Not teaching you to suck eggs just adding to the debate* :)

·
Premium Member
5,303 Posts
Do you have the Honda Happiness warranty? Ring Simon at claims and explain the situation. They replaced my clutch and paid for the whole lot at 78k miles. Why the difference for you???

If you need anymore info, don't hesitate to ask

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Just something else you could use, against them. They replaced my type r clutch under warranty. Took about 3 weeks of complaining tho,

Hope you get it sorted.

Keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
For anyone thats interested Honda Harrogate said to take the claim to Hona Uk customer services.

The letter is basically a rehash of the letter above but with bits added.

I kno the letter needs reorganising but it is still a draft so please forgive me for any bad spellings/grammar errors

ear Honda,

Having recently suffered from the clutch issues affecting the honda civic 2.2 diesel i would

like to raise my concerns about the way this was resolved.

First of all

I am appaled that a company such as Honda know there is a major problem with the clutch in

the 2.2 (even having redesigned the part and issued a couple of service bulletins) and yet

dealers and HUK deny the existance of an issue.

All this with a Official Honda Bullitien regarding this issue is in the public domain as

below.

http://8g.hondaclub.cz/files/service_bulletin/Tips_09.pdf

Honda stractone at Leeds took this further and denyed all knowledge of clutch problems in

the 2.2 and wouldnt even inspect the veichele which resulted in my having to travel our of

my and at my expense in time and money to harrogate where thankfully they would investigate.

Honda refused to say if they would cover the work until after they had stripped the box. If

they then decided not to cover it I would have had to pay the full amount.

The reason I bought a Honda of which this is my first was due to its reputation for reliability and dealer support.I

feel very let down by the premature clutch failure. That Honda have accepted it was

premature and not fair wear and tear.

In my opinion with cases such as this, the supplier / vendor / manufacturer should be

responsible in entirity for the cost of repairing something which is clearly not performed

as it should.

The cost for having it doen properly is the same as their charge for fitting their own

Theyre not really giving you anything.

I heard Honda are normally pretty good on out-of-warranty stuff - I've seen stories of 5yr

old engines (without full Honda service history) being replace and 7 year old auto boxes.

Obviously it seems Honda arent what they used to be

It is absolutely shocking how badly Honda have handled this clutch issue. They should have

put significant resource into getting a clutch together that is up to the job and offered

everyone with clutch failure a replacement FOC.

Honda yourselves have accepted it's not wear and tear.

Therefore is it reasonable and accepted that a clutch may fail out of normal wear and tear (

Which is also covered in the sales of goods act 1979 legislation )/ mileage of the vehicle?

If no then full cost of rectification should be firmly with Honda.

While I have paid for the work carried out to my vehicle, as I hold Honda UK responsible I

will be pursuing them to recoup these costs through the legal route for the remainder

including court action if necessary.

I also intend to contact Martin Lewis of GMTV breakfast television to give him details of my

experience as having visited various Honda owners forums I am aware that this is a

widespread problem.

As I hold Honda responsible I will give notice to take action in the small claims court via
moneyclaimonline. if the amount I payed under protest is not refunded within 10 working days under the

sales of goods act 1979 which covers items for a period of 6 years if it fails within it's

normal life as:

a) The normal life of this part should exceed 60,000 miles - my vehicle has only done 20,000

miles
b) The normal life of this part should extend to more than three years at average mileage

Especially given the fact that it has been confirmed by the photographs taken, that the

damage is not due normal wear and tear

I find this appalling behaviour by Honda UK who proudly state on your website that Honda has

reclaimed second place overall in the JD Power Vehicle Ownership Satisfaction Study.

Ive heard from a Honda UK car dealer that Honda UK sales are really struggling - they were down 20% last year and they had some absolutely terrible months (Dec was down 40%). Including having no orders for veicheles with the new registration in for sept 11

Having said that, it doesn't seem a smart move from Honda treat x customers like myself and it feels like perhaps Honda have given up on some models/owners?

Regards,
Danny Earl

·
Registered
23 Posts
ahoy

good arguement, puts the key points across

my car had to have new clutch just after i bought it. was 3 years and 6 months at the time, so just out of warranty likewise. 37k miles. they gave me similar schpiel about it's "how i drive it" - nonsense, it was an ex fleet car so full honda s.h., i can't guarantee how he was driving it but i live on the motorway all day so it definitely wasnt me - i pointed out to them the 53mpg average id run up since buying the car a few months previous was clear evidence that i wasnt ragging it around town like a boy racer!!

the price came back originally at £1200 or similar as parts + 9 hours labour. I refused point blank and price went down to £550. the work was done at stratstone honda bradford but i had BOUGHT the car at evans halshaw in cheltenham, in the end i pressed the matter with them to foot the bill and we reached an agreement after lots of back and forth that they fronted 70% of that bill and I paid the final 30%

retrospectively i should have asked in the first place to see the clutch - in effect it is my property and i should have had a right to see it for independent assessment. see if you can get hold of it.

i take the view it was a breach of the consumer goods act as you state failed within its reasonable lifespan, but in terms of from a legal perspective it's a bit of a ropey defence

what is on your side is that if it did went to court, it would generally favour the private individual vs the big corporate with numerous complaints regarding this. plus it's low enough in value that could go to small claims court i think?

keep plugging - the way honda UK point blank refuse to admit there is a problem is an insult, and i still resent having had to have paid to have a new clutch fitted to a car bought low mileage just outside warranty! has made me second guess buying a honda in future. toyota had a similar stance to a number of issues with their cars, i had an MR2 which had a common problem where the "pre" catalytic converters embeded in the exhaust manifold would degrade, with the dust getting sucked into the engine because of the valve overlap... leading to scoring of the cylinder liner and premature engine failure. but when toyota have a problem - they never publcially admit a problem but they did usually foot the bill for any work!!

·
Premium Member
5,303 Posts
Don't let this drop mate. They're having a laugh. As a reference guide, my 1998 Honda Integra Type R clutch lasted 167k miles before it gave up the ghost. So there's no way a 2.2 CTDi clutch should fail at 20k. It is a fault with the self adjuster mechanism on the pressure plate, I've seen it with my own eyes

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I am having an argument with Honda uk at the moment. I've got the third gear synchro issue. Honda have agreed to pay for parts again but not labour. It is out of warranty but for them to put something towards the cost means they must know that the existing part isn't fit for Purpose. That and the fact they redesigned the part in the type r gear box means they should have recalled all cars possibly affected.

Seems like Honda like to bury there heads in the sand and hope they can get away with it. I called them twice today to discuss further and now they are not returning my calls - escalation in order me thinks

Hope you get what you entitled to - a free replacement clutch - good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought a remedy under the Sale of Goods Act should be sought from whoever sold the goods.

I am not sure that the manufacturer is responsible under SOGA.

Did you buy the car from Honda Harrogate?
If so, maybe pursue them through the small claims court.

Oh, just spotted on another forum that you bought the car from your parents.
That might make small claims court action difficult... to say the least.

·
Premium Member
5,303 Posts
If you bought it from your parents, you have no rights under the SOGA 1979. It was a private sale therefore you are responsible for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.