2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on quite a steep hill and my drive is steep also. I have opened the boot to load up, gone to shut the tailgate and the parcel shelf has rocked forward slighlty so on pulling down the tailgate, this has forced the parcel shelf down as it has jammed itself and broken all the plastics on the drivers side on which the parcel shelf sits!

It seems as though the parcel shelf should be weighted slightly or the two strings which attach it to the tailgate should be slighlty longer:confused:

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I went to remove my parcel shelf a few weeks ago and when I came to put it back, it didn't fit. On the drivers side there is a horizontal divide between the panels and this had come apart. So the panel was protruding into the boot, reducing the gap. It had been like this for a while causing the shelf to stick upright sometimes.

When I tried to reseat the trim I found it impossible to get all of the clips (3 or 4 I think) back into to their respective holes. In the end one snapped (oops) and this allowed the others to refit properly. It now sits flush and doesn't rattle (woo hoo a non-rattley part of my car!) so I'm not to fussed.

I wonder if your trim had popped out first, hence stopping the shelf from dropping properly. Then when you closed your boot it pushed the upright shelf into you boot.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
never happenedtome, but it sqeeks when iam driving

·
Registered
259 Posts
has happened to my civic several times.. first time shortly after delivery because of the trim had been removed due to fitting the towbar and it wasn´t assembled correctly..

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I live on quite a steep hill and my drive is steep also. I have opened the boot to load up, gone to shut the tailgate and the parcel shelf has rocked forward slighlty so on pulling down the tailgate, this has forced the parcel shelf down as it has jammed itself and broken all the plastics on the drivers side on which the parcel shelf sits!

It seems as though the parcel shelf should be weighted slightly or the two strings which attach it to the tailgate should be slighlty longer:confused:
Yes the shelf is prone to this especially when wind blowing from behind. Part of my right support has one or two broken clips but is sort of in place and I have to be careful to ensure the shelf down when closing boot lid.

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
I am problem free so far too.

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
When under a small load, the right side of my parcel shelf pulls away from the body of the car the all the vertical plastic support! Had the car from new and it has had no undue strain on it so hope to sort it under warranty at next service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts