2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm.. strange question but I would like a key more like the VW ones, the Honda key is way to big for my pockets :|

So.. has anyone tried to modifiy the key?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.. that chip is like 0.5x0.8mm big .. i think they have the same type in other manufacturers keys..

If I could get my hands on a old VW key I would try!

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
now if they included keyless entry/start then this wouldnt be an issue. Not that its a issue for me anyway but would of been nice.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
hmm.. that chip is like 0.5x0.8mm big .. i think they have the same type in other manufacturers keys..

If I could get my hands on a old VW key I would try!
the VW / Audi ones come up on ebay fairly often :)

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
theres a few on ebay, get a cheap one and have a play. i do like the folding key so would be nice if it could be done.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I have big pockets in my trousers, it's not a problem;)[smilie=tongue.gif]

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
With modern security tech components surely it wouldn't be too difficult for the vehicle to operate with just the chip alone, ana do away with the key part altogether

"I missed my nap this morning. Slept right thro' it!"

Charles H.

·
Registered
107 Posts
a flick key would be great, if it can be done post post post!!! I'll pay you to do mine lol.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hmm.. strange question but I would like a key more like the VW ones, the Honda key is way to big for my pockets :|

So.. has anyone tried to modifiy the key?

My god, how tight are your trousers?!?!?!?!?!

My keys have the Civic key, my GF's Ka key, my door key, an LED light and often my Corsa key. Making one key slighly smaller would make absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things for me!

·
Registered
382 Posts
My god, how tight are your trousers?!?!?!?!?!

My keys have the Civic key, my GF's Ka key, my door key, an LED light and often my Corsa key. Making one key slighly smaller would make absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things for me!
I agree. The Honda key is dwarfed by my Land Rover key, plus I can't fold the pointy bit away on my house keys etc so I would gain nothing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
at the rate i'm going i will need a bag for my keys. Currently have the Civic key, alarm fob for house, 2 security fobs for work, 5 house keys (all for different doors), 2 USB sticks and a couple of other keys i need occasionally.

My trousers aren't tight until i put my keys in my pocket

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is The Key. with a cm ruler by it´s side..
unfortunally, im pissed drunk now.. but.. tomorrow I will be sober, I hope :p
(It´s a pain i the ass to be a photograper at a nightclub... www.vaxjovimmel.se )

Attachments

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
If there is a supposed to be a security chip in that plastic bit, what is the need for that metal 'key' bit?

"Cheer up!
The worst is yet to come!"
Charles H.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
If there is a supposed to be a security chip in that plastic bit, what is the need for that metal 'key' bit?

"Cheer up!
The worst is yet to come!"

Charles H.

A long story but some one decided to modify the side of my Civ by reversng into it, got a new diesel Laguna while the Civ was repaired. It had keyless entry and ignition and I have to admit it was good in fact it was the only part of the car that was good (it was a gutless wonder compaired to the Civ).

Walk up to the car touch the handle and it unlocked, walk away and it locked as long as you had the 'credit card key' on you.

I think that Honda has missed a trick here.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A friend of mine has an Espace with the credit card thingy. We have found that if you leave your keys to close to the car (within 10ft), it stays unlocked ! This could be a potential problem if like me you park within feet of your front door. The keys are secure within the house, but the car would be unlocked !

Give me a good old key and remote button any day of the week.

Mercedes have a system, that doesn't have a traditional metal key, but still has a receptical to turn. It makes the key much smaller.
As you can see, its not much longer than the Fob it is attached to.
Merc Key.jpg
A similar system would be nice, with maybe the keyhole/ recepticle relocated to where the lighter/12v Socket is at the moment!

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
On the Laguna it wasn't a problem, you pressed the button on the card and the car locked, it didn't unlock until you touched the door handle.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts