2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my car for an entire week, I paid over £15,500 for it and I think to myself "have I done the right thing in not buying a VW Golf Sport and buying a Honda Civic Sport instead?

The problems with my car to date:

i) Scratches on the perspex behind the steering wheel;
ii) Poor fitting dashboard around the CD/Radio & each of the front doors;
iii) Black plastic steering column cover (behind clutch pedal) that came away and slipped down behind the pedal almost causing me to crash into a stationary car at a set of traffic signals;
iv) Intermittent squeeking centre console;
v) Intermittent squeeking passenger door;
vi) Coming home from work - a constant noise coming from the steering wheel like a tin full of "hundreds & thousands" being shaken vigorously;
vii) Poor fitting perspex trim above front bumper - in time this will wear paintwork away;

I honestly thought that purchasing a new car this expensive by an allegedly prestigious brand such as Honda would give me superlative driving pleasure - but I've got the exact opposite.

I've sold my Ford and I've jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire :(

When I came home, I pulled into my drive and just sat in the car for a few minutes to take stock of all these squeeks and I thought to myself (after taking off my red tinted spectacles) how plastic the interior is - from the fake metal sprayed metallic parts around the steering wheel, gearbox and handbrake lever to the poor quality plastic dashboard.

Its no wonder the car squeeks like a box full of mice in this changeable weather, one minute the plastic is warm and it expands, the next its cold and its contracts. How long will the sprayed plastic bits look nice? If you wear a ring(s) - I don't, they'll get scratched over time.

Its a fantastic looking car - there's no denying it, but the interior lets the Civic down big time. There's touches of ingenuity and flair, but its all packaged in cheap plastic.

I think I'll be taking a look at the VW website in a few minutes - I might change my car as its getting me down. :cry:

Do you think I have reasonable grounds to reject the car?

B.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
You know; the more I read about peoples problems the more sad I get about the Civic's manufacturing quality.

Is it 'pot luck' whether you get a well made car or is it the fault of the dealer not doing the PDI properly?

I'm pleased to say I'm well satisfied with mine, but it makes you a bit dubious about any re-order in 3 years time!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I find it amazing when people write about their woes as I have had absolutely zero trouble in my first 6k miles since March.

I wonder if their production processes are cutting corners to cope with the demand?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Bart,

In my experience (4 Golfs and an Audi) you are just as likely to get a Friday afternoon car with VAG group cars as any manufacturer. But the odds are that the Honda dealer will rectify it a lot better than the VW lot.

What I would do is make a list, and dump the car back at the dealer. Be really polite and pleasant, but make sure the words are firm. "Please fix everything on this list, plus anything else you can find, to bring the car up to a sellable standard. If it's not done to the same quality as the demonstrator I drove, I'm afraid I can't accept the car".

I think you have to give the dealer one good chance to finish off the assembly process that they omitted in Swindon.

Then you can go further (but think several times about the Mk5 Golf, it is the most plasticky rattly old bin in the world.)

·
Registered
450 Posts
This - (as my name implies) is my third Honda. The previous 2 were built in the USA (Accord Aerodeck and Civic Coupe). They were both beautifully made and finished. My Father's older Japan built Civic is also perfect.

This 06 Civic (UK built) is not in the same league. The materials are poorer quality, and the attention to detail in build much less good...........however its a very nice car to drive, there are loads of nice features, and its fast and economical. I am really annoyed that cars are still being delivered with known faults (see posts on rear suspension noises).
My last Civic coupe came from the same dealer, so I don't think thats all there is, though admittedly they should have found the faults I've had on mine so far at the PDI.

I suspect (though I hate to admit it) that the real problem is 'made in UK'.

For what its worth, a colleague who has had both VW and Audi new cars recently won't touch another having moved back to Japan (having previously owned a Lexus) with Subaru after poor reliability on both VAG cars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pottsy,

The new MK5 Golf is more plasticky and rattly than the new Civic - then you're right it must be a bin. I thought the German build quality in conjunction with rigorous testing would be far better than a car built in the UK?

What is the address of Honda Customer Care or Complaints? I think I'm going to write a letter to my local dealer, detailing every problem and sending a copy of that letter to the Honda head office.

I am so disappointed you wouldn't believe :cry:

·
Definately Female!
2,967 Posts
If you have read my posts you will see I am just as disappointed, you are right to worry about the paint rubbing on the bumpers I havent dont 2000 miles yet and the paint has already rubbed away!

You can get CS Head office address from the Honda website. They ignored my last letter.

I am seriously thinking of selling mine - but what do I buy and also why should I lose £1000s because Honda have messed up. I have had six months of stress and frustration so far :cry:

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Bart - sorry to hear of all your problems but i'm sure that if the dealer can sort them you will have an excellent car that you will be proud of.

The customer services address is -

Honda (UK)
470 London Road,
Slough,
Berkshire.
SL3 8QY

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Topcat,

Have you had a good relationship with your dealer? I've had a mixed relatioship with mine - the Sales Manager was great (to be expected) and the aftersales manager has acted the opposite, to the point I'm finding him awkward. He comes out with the stock phrases....its normal.......we can't find a problem........we'll I can't see them they're so fine (talking about the scratches).

This was a classic, I was in the dealership first thing Monday morning having a coffee - there was another bloke in the customer lounge whose car was in with an intermittent starting problem, occassionally his car wouldn't start and he'd have to turn it over 3/4 times before it would start. After about half an hour the sales manager came back, gave him his keys and said "we can't find a problem, we've put it on the computer and everything is ok", the bloke said I'm off to France next week and I'll be doing over 3,000 miles - I can't go when I sometimes can't start the car. The aftersales manager told him "something will have to break until we know what is wrong" - the blokes face was a picture, almost as if to say "are you for real?" :?

B.

·
Definately Female!
2,967 Posts
I dont have a good relationship with the customer services manager at my dealership to be honest he drives me insane, some of the comments he has made to me about various problems have just been a joke and yes unless a problem jumps out and taps them on the shoulder they cant find it! My first car went back about 8 times before they finally admitted that there was a problem with the gears its all so time consuming and frustrating.

Honda CS were very good with the first car but when I wrote to them about the problems with the second they ignored me, I went to a different dealership with the problems and found the customer services manager there to be more helpful.

Before buying the Civic I looked at the Focus and Golf and and decided on the Civic because it seemed to be the better car and because everyone said "you cant go wrong with a Honda"! Oh yes you can it seems :roll:

I would write to Honda CS, as I say they were good first time around and hopefully you can get the things sorted out quickly. Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TC,

I'll need all the luck I can get - its good to know that you can sympathise with the problems I'm having because I just feel like I'm the one causing the trouble and made to feel like I should go away and stop making a fuss.

I will persevere and I'll take Pottsy's advice - write a letter to the dealership stating the problems and asking them in a polite but firm manner to rectify them to my satisfaction, or I'll reject the car, and I'll send a copy to Honda Customer Care.

This car costs too much for me to just put up with its quirks and foibles!!

If anyone from Honda is reading this then look out, this customer ain't gonna put up with your shoddy manufacturing :evil:

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Bart, I'd book it in to "fix a rattle", and when you get the car there, then leave them the full list and the ultimatum. When they say the car is ready, make sure that they think they have fixed everything.

Sadly, we have a contract with the dealer that sold the car. Not Honda, nor any other dealer. Luckily there are laws to help us though, but we have to give the dealer a chance first. If they can't fix it, then go for a refund. If they fob you off with "having to wait for advice from Honda", then that's their problem (they have a contract with Honda).

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bart - real sorry to hear about the troubles with your new motor. I have to say that my impressions are quite the opposite ... apart from the HFT and a small paintwork issue, I think the quality of the car is very good. Certainly the best I have ever had; my last 4 cars have been Saab, Volvo, Renault, Toyota (Celica due to mid-life crisis which I am now over) and they all had far more problems.

I am with WoolyCiv; get all these issues sorted and you will have a fine car.

Interesting comment from StGeli; I work for a company that makes large items of medical equipment, and when demand is high the quality suffers

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I am just getting shot of a Peugeot 206 CC, this car went back to Peugeot technical centre in Coventry three times and back to the dealer many more....

but once they had got to the bottom off the issues it was been fine for the last 5 years, i am ony getting rid of it as the folding roof would be expensive if it goes wrong and its approaching 60k miles so things will be starting to wear out....been looking for ages for a Diesel and then saw the Civic....

I get the Dealer Demonstrator on the 1st Sept, 3 months old and hoping they have sorted any build issues as this is the one they show off to the punters....also comes with the extras without the extra costs...

:lol: :lol:

Hopefully looking forward to a smooth ride.....
Fingers crossed :roll:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Hi.

I bought my Civic in Finland in July and havent had any problems with the car.
Sorry about the sh1t you been having with your Civic.

Civic 5d Sport Royal Blue Pearl.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts