2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... Someone to given on the solution of the condensation of the back indicators??? .... in my concessionaire they happen(pass) already from me ........ (after me a few times changing them) ..... I have called to it of attention to the client of Honda ....... and they did not make me very satisfied ..... there is not given me that I am going to be always equal with the indicators.....

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
...and this is the reply I've just had from my dealer...

Regarding rear lamp units, unfortunately due to the fact they are not air tight units they do suffer slightly with condensation problems, no cure for this even putting new ones on will have exactly the same issues.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts

Regarding rear lamp units, unfortunately due to the fact they are not air tight units they do suffer slightly with condensation problems, no cure for this even putting new ones on will have exactly the same issues.
It is so because of the transparent "covers" over the actual lamps, if you look carefully you will notice 1 mm wide air holes which let the moisture out (and in). Why did Honda have to make it this way, God knows - but it's not a lot of condensation at least on my car, and it's just temporary

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
It is so because of the transparent "covers" over the actual lamps, if you look carefully you will notice 1 mm wide air holes which let the moisture out (and in). Why did Honda have to make it this way, God knows - but it's not a lot of condensation at least on my car, and it's just temporary
Thank's for that, I've had a look and mine don't appear to have any air holes that are visible on the outside? Where are yours located?

Thanks, Al.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts

Can't say that I've noticed any holes in the lights, so my guess is that the quote refers to the fact that the units are "open" to the interior of the car.

The light units at the back have foam gaskets between the units and the tailgate with the bulb holders sticking through holes in the tailgate into the interior of the car.
If you take a bulb holder out of the light unit you will see that there is no gasket/washer surrounding the bulb holder, so the inside of the light unit is not totally sealed and will share the same temperature & humidity as the inside of the car.

Again, my guess would be that the warm air inside may be condensing on the cooler inside surface of the light lenses.

Since the air-con dries the air inside the car, perhaps you might try running with it on for a few days to see if that makes the condensation go away.

I have to say it's not a problem I've noticed on my car yet.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Thank's for that, I've had a look and mine don't appear to have any air holes that are visible on the outside? Where are yours located?

Thanks, Al.

Look on the outermost part of each rear side light as well as in the middle of the rear lamps - there are 1 mm wide holes almost invisible due to the transparent plastic

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Look on the outermost part of each rear side light as well as in the middle of the rear lamps - there are 1 mm wide holes almost invisible due to the transparent plastic
Nope, just had another look and I definitely do not have any drilled holes. Next time I'm near the dealers I'll pop in and ask (and have a look at other Civics). Thank's for the info. Al.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I think you will find these "holes" are circular moulding marks in the plastic. Well they are on my car.

Ramsay

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have really bad condensation in the centre section of the rear lights across the boot, but the side parts are fine. Dealer is ordering "parts" to fix- wife spoke to them so don't know what exacly- somethinf mentioned about seals being replaced. It is actual water droplets in the lights tho, not just a fine mist. Will wait & see if the repair works.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I have one in my hand right now (so excuse the typing for a bit :lol:)

I can confirm that the unit is completly sealed - from the outside - with no air vents, holes, or other methods for letting water in or out.

However, as lobey rightly points out, where the bulb holders attach to the unit, they just plug and twist, probably not making an airtight seal.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I have one in my hand right now (so excuse the typing for a bit :lol:)

I can confirm that the unit is completly sealed - from the outside - with no air vents, holes, or other methods for letting water in or out.

However, as lobey rightly points out, where the bulb holders attach to the unit, they just plug and twist, probably not making an airtight seal.
Yes, but the bulbs go behind the amber lens. The misting is between the amber lens and the clear outer lens.

If they are not sealed thoroughly then I guess a couple of 1mm holes drilled under the clear lens, one at each end, may not hurt and might just allow air to circulate.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Yes, but the bulbs go behind the amber lens. The misting is between the amber lens and the clear outer lens.

If they are not sealed thoroughly then I guess a couple of 1mm holes drilled under the clear lens, one at each end, may not hurt and might just allow air to circulate.

Any thoughts?
I would be careful with this, if you drill too many you may be getting too much dirt in and after some time the whole lamp may need replacement - and then the warranty for the lamps may turn out void (because of the extra holes) - I wonder if on some cars the holes may be missing and if this is really the case, is it intentional (construction change) or a fault.
In any case, if I would drill any holes in the plastic then only in locations and sizes where they should be and only with the dealer's permission, but then again, why bother? if the missing holes are a fault let the dealer replace the lamps and that's it

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I'll try tomorrow (not so easy for they are barely visible) - hope it won't be raining
OK bad as the pics are, I hope they are visible - on my car these are definitely real holes - which worries me a bit because dust can come in with time (however if condensation occurs it's gone during the day)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
located them on the indicator units :D

As it happens, mine aren't on the car (replaced by R versions), so I'm able to have a good play :D

Tried sticking pins, bent paperclips, pen nibs into the 'hole'.
Also tried blowing and sucking (!) - on mine it's not a hole :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In the concessionaire they had will to me solve it.... but there is no official solution, and they do not want to do holes ....... please an official (HONDA) solution for the condensation ....... :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts