2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Well I've owned my diesel civic for two months now, finally got my own mechanic to look over the car and wasn't impressed with his verdict!

There is corrosion underneath the car (lots of it surface rust) and certainly rust getting into one of the seams underneath too :(

I took the car back to the dealers and told them this, they took a look, said its surface rust apart and nothing wrong but then said he'd put some waxoil on one part of it.

After owning two separate Hondas in the last five months I've reached the point where I'm fed up of the brand. The first had clutch issues, brake issues and other bits wrong - this one has rust! In general I think the cars are built far less solidly than the Volkswagens / german cars I've been used to and I genuinely believe the product itself has many flaws!

I've fallen out of love with my civic and as such am I mad to go back to Volkswagen, should I be looking elsewhere or perhaps should I just stick with the damn thing?

Thank you for reading my mini essay :)

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Subaru, specifically a '60 WRX STi.

It feels like it's made of granite compared to the Civic, although it does suffer from stone chips all the same.

We've still got the wife's FK2 EX, so not left the brand altogether.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I think the cars are built far less solidly than the Volkswagens
VWs are far from immune to shoddy build quality themselves. My old Golf had a top quality engine, never had any problems with reliability. It's just that the rest of the car was falling off it. Things like upholstery breaking, dash buttons falling off, the radio gradually dying off mode by mode... Not to mention the rust...
The final straw was when my g/f went to open the passenger door at the Sainsbury's car park and the handle came clean off in her hand.
Also, despite having to leave it pretty much unlocked on the driveway thanks to the broken door handle... nobody stole the damn thing...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only cause you can cram more swifts into a dark lay-by at night :dog:
Genuine coffee in mouth lol :( :D

Depends what you need mike? Me and chip both went to swift sports and ive never looked back

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk 4
I test drove a swift sport (2012 in blue) and absolutely loved it! Not sure I'd love the fuel economy much though as the computer is wildly optimistic in them! The car felt very very sure footed though! Perhaps I should have just got one and ignored the petrol needle!

VWs are far from immune to shoddy build quality themselves. My old Golf had a top quality engine, never had any problems with reliability. It's just that the rest of the car was falling off it. Things like upholstery breaking, dash buttons falling off, the radio gradually dying off mode by mode... Not to mention the rust...
The final straw was when my g/f went to open the passenger door at the Sainsbury's car park and the handle came clean off in her hand.
Also, despite having to leave it pretty much unlocked on the driveway thanks to the broken door handle... nobody stole the damn thing...
The above made me laugh too! My 2000 plate bora was mechanically, electrically and door handle sound! The car had done 96k when I got rid of it and since owning the Hondas I honestly wish I'd kept it!

Perhaps in the new year I'll look at getting a swift sport, just been employed freelance for some SEO work so should have some disposable income on top of my weekly wage!

Thanks all for the replies :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
As much as people complain about them (mostly people who have never driven them) I genuinely miss my alfa 147 gta

Such a good car and rarely went wrong but when It did by god would it let you know it

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me know where you go!

The swift sport appeals to me, but there just isn't enough room for a 2 year old in the back, and sometimes a 2 and a 4 year old!

For anyone here that hasn't driven one - you really should! They are a fantastic little car and all the options that you pay ££££ for with Honda/VW/Audi are included.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just been looking at a 13 plate ex demo locally! £11499! 3 door though!

You've got me wondering chip, whether I could perhaps get a good deal on the 5 door if I wait my time until they put their new ex demo out to pasture ;)

Are there any recent reviews of the swift sport? I'd like to know if the 5 door is majorly different or lacking in any way!

·
I'm going fast again!
1,137 Posts
Subaru, specifically a '60 WRX STi.

It feels like it's made of granite compared to the Civic, although it does suffer from stone chips all the same.

We've still got the wife's FK2 EX, so not left the brand altogether.
Was driving behind one of these yesterday mate, it did look pretty impressive!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Is that because you can't help but drive 2 inches from the sunday drivers in front?!

I genuinely have no idea how it's got so bad. I don't tailgate either. 3 points and a fine now for it. That came in at the same time as middle lane hogging.

Was driving behind one of these yesterday mate, it did look pretty impressive!
Cheers. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts