2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2014 Civic Hatchback EX (mk9) UK. The car has a built-in Honda Navigation Unit (HDD). After a few weeks, I realize that the navigation unit seems to be less useful to me, and I only use the bluetooth to play music via my iPhone, or mostly GPS with Google Maps.

My questions are:

1) Is it worth replacing Honda built-in HDD Navi with aftermarket head unit that has CarPlay built-in?
2) If choosing between Sony XAV-AX100 and Pioneer 8700BT, which one do you recommend? Or do you have any other recommendation?
3) Does the aftermarket head unit improve sound quality (a little or by large margin improvement)?
4) If I'm installing the unit myself, what do I need to order?
- One of the dealer says the wiring-harness is different for Honda factory installed head unit cars, is that true?
- Do I need to replace the existing double din facia?
- Anything else I need to order?

I was looking/searching in the forum to get similar information, but failed to find any. Any help/guide/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I've always been very pleased with the HDD unit in my EX, it functions well and IMO sounds good, it does feel dated now though (it was already dated when the 9G went into production in 2011-12).

With an aftermarket unit, you would lose some of the integration that the OEM unit provides, such as the navigation prompts and audio information on the iMID, voice control over climate control etc. However, looking at current aftermarket units, you would gain a lot too.

Having had the opportunity to use Apple CarPlay a couple of times now in hire cars, I would say that it is a must for me in any future head unit I have.

I've found a few threads on this topic:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics-ice-9g/243745-double-din-christmas.html

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics-ice-9g/81389-subwoofer-retrofit.html

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics-ice-9g/386498-help-please-2din-unit.html

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics-ice-9g/385650-chinese-double-din.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. After talking to a few head unit seller and installation service provider, they said they are not able to provide any wire harness for those factory navigation pre-installed 9th gen Civic. I'm now contacting connect2.co.uk to confirm if this is the case.

I'm also considering an alternative cheaper solution without voiding the built-in HDD unit. Aliexpress sells an external box that provides AV/RCA input. The box gives Android Auto and Apple CarPlay feature. They also provide a wireless dial remote to navigate CarPlay options. (once i got approval to post links, I will add the link...)

The only challenge for this solution is to find an ACC to power the add-on unit.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
Ah yes, links and PM's become active after 2 weeks membership and 20 valid posts.

We didn't like implementing that but spammers forced our hand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's ok - makes sense to me.

If you search the following name in Google, it's in the top 5 results:

"General Carplay box Siri Voice remoter Steering-wheel control Call Map Message etc IOS for vehicles by AV input or AUX function"

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Due to the integration of the system etc and having had this unit myself I would say learn to live with it because it is a decent unit or maybe for when it does your head in just use google maps on your phone and to be fair I do think the unit does screen mirroring.

Either way give it a good month or so because it is a half decent unit and with a bit of luck once you get used to it you will save yourself a lot of money ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! That's probably a good advise to take into account.
You mentioned the mirror screen feature, do you mean using AV/RCA as input?

If it's AV/RCA, what are the wirings required for iPhone lightning port?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Due to the integration of the system etc and having had this unit myself I would say learn to live with it because it is a decent unit or maybe for when it does your head in just use google maps on your phone and to be fair I do think the unit does screen mirroring.

Either way give it a good month or so because it is a half decent unit and with a bit of luck once you get used to it you will save yourself a lot of money ;)

Do you know if the premium audio system has a fader setting somewhere? I couldn't figure out how to adjust the rear speaker volume, the rear speaker seems to be very quiet comparing to the front ones...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it will but having not used this for a few years I suggest you get your book out or have a good play with the unit

I have it configured properly now. I think/feel the front speakers are generally louder. So I have to tune the volume down for front, turning up overall volumes will increase the overall balance.

Happy with the result :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts